Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing
Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing

I have so much respect for the organizer of this event. He has done so much for our class it's amazing.

Then quit rubbing his nose in the big steaming pile. He doesn't deserve it.
J

I’d be surprised if he saw it that way.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: mmiller] #180327
05/30/09 08:15 PM
05/30/09 08:15 PM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

I plan to go and sail a "stock" charter boat. Personally, I'm happy that some guy is not coming with a jacked up Wave, custom sails and custom rudders.

Yes, I work for Hobie Cat and I also have a personal, vested interest in the Wave because I was involved with the design and did much of the test sailing on this boat. I have NEVER felt it was good to open up the rules on this boat. It is a simple boat and sails very well with a variety of weights... stock. Custom sails are NOT needed and putting glass rudders on this boat is just silly.

Interesting Matt. So can you tell us how many changes were made to the wave by Hobie since it was introduced (tramp, ect.) I have heard some things aren't interchangable on earlier models.
So can I race my 21se at the Havamega? I remember being told when trying to Pre-register for Mid Winters once that I couldn't race since there were no other 21se's comming in 2002. I guess they didn't consider it a Hobie anymore. I was on the list to come race on an FX1 but all this has brought up some familiar feelings for me about Hobie Class Racing and the politics. Then to hear about the drama with a certain team not being able to bring some boats to race in the Tybee (which isn't HCA anyway) because Hobie USA was sqwakin' about it. So in response to Jeremy's direct question, I won't be comming. If Hobie US ever gets a dime from me again, it will most likely be to get parts for a Hobie Europe boat.
Have a Hobie Day!

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: TeamChums] #180330
05/30/09 10:24 PM
05/30/09 10:24 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
Interesting... actually... from a N20 sailor? Right? What does the 21SE have to do with this?

Very little has changed on the Wave over the years. Actually... the tiller length is likely the most RADICAL change since it was designed. That made the rudders easier to put down and raise. Sorry... that was mostly a recreational sailors change though. The original rudders are class legal though.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: TeamChums] #180332
05/30/09 10:46 PM
05/30/09 10:46 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
Originally Posted by TeamChums

So can I race my 21se at the Havamega?

Absolutely Lee! If you show up you'll be my honored guest. And if you give me the names of the person that told you that you couldn't race the 21 or the FX, I'd be glad to talk to them on your behalf.

Let me restate my question just so there's no confusion:
How many WAVE sailors are NOT going to show up to the Havamega that originally were before the NOR change? I am laser focused on getting an answer, so any extraneous argument isn't going to throw me off. Dig?

J

Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: SurfCityRacing] #180333
05/30/09 11:26 PM
05/30/09 11:26 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Well you already contacted the three Wave members of the NAHCA class so you have those three sailors commitments.... right?

Matt Miller makes 4.

Below are the names of the IWCA Wave sailors who did the NA's last year... They would be LIKELY folks to race a WAVE.
None of them appear to be regulars on this forum.....

So... your bleating like a stuck goat... or focused like a laser beam or whatever you are doing trying to make a point by demanding to know who was coming and now have canceled their plans...will take some more work on your part...

Oh... I KNOW!.... you might contact the IWACA Class President and ask if he would send out a very nice email from you in which you get to INVITE THEM AGAIN .... or Plan B... you could demand to know if they were coming before and not coming now?

BIG HINT.... (Likely that you need it) IT WOULD BE WELCOMING to write these guys.... apologize, explain and invite again.... Don't try plan B.... It just proves that you are an butt who does not know when to stop digging.

Idiot!

Published on Cat Sailor Front Page for the Last Wave NA's.
HelmName
Leah White
Patrick Green
David White
Mark Scarpelli
Ray Matuszak
Stan Woodruff
Jim Glanden
Steve Abbey
Skip Kaub
Paul Lindenberg
John Mcknight
Sharon Woodruff
Nelson Wright
Stewart Glegg
Bruce Fields
Marlyn Hahn
Larry Ferber
Tom Cottingham
Kathy Kulkoski
Kirk Spangler
Charlie Merritt

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 05/31/09 07:41 AM.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: Mark Schneider] #180334
05/31/09 12:05 AM
05/31/09 12:05 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
MUST429 Offline
enthusiast
MUST429  Offline
enthusiast

Lakewood, Colorado
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Well you already contacted the three Wave members of the NAHCA class so you have those three sailors commitments.... right?

Matt Miller makes 4.

Below are the names of the IWCA Wave sailors who did the NA's last year... They would be LIKELY folks to race a WAVE.
None of them appear to be regulars on this forum.....

If none of THEM care enough to voice an opinion on this forum then why are YOU beating your chest

So... your bleating like a stuck goat... or focused like a laser beam or whatever you are doing trying to make a point by demanding to know who was coming and now have canceled their plans...will take some more work on your part...

Oh... I KNOW!.... you might contact the IWACA Class President and ask if he would send out a very nice email from you in which you get to INVITE THEM AGAIN .... or Plan B... you could demand to know if they were coming before and not coming now?

BIG HINT.... (Likely that you need it) IT WOULD BE WELCOMING to write these guys.... apologize, explain and invite again.... Don't try plan B.... It just proves that you are an butt who does not know when to stop digging.

Idiot!

Quite honestly as I stated in my previous post, I feel that HCC and IHCA have given themselves a black eye by throwing their weight around.

For us as sailors to start tearing one another apart on a public forum is counter productive.

I have met Jeremy, and while he is a Hobie Dealer, he has done a lot for cat sailing on the west coast without regard for the breed of cat .

Mark, I have never met you, so I can only judge you by your words. Your unkind words and name calling leaves a very unfavorable impression.
You might have sent something that strongly worded in a private message and saved yourself some public embarrassment.

Isn't it about time we all toned things down a bit and let the Wave sailors speak for themselves.

Stephen

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: Mark Schneider] #180336
05/31/09 12:36 AM
05/31/09 12:36 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
It just proves that you are an butt.

Idiot!

Thanks man. I've been called waaaay worse.

Why should I apologize to the class exactly? What'd I do? Oh, sponsor the regatta. I was going to go to bat for them Monday morning as soon as I got some hard numbers. There are no hard numbers as of yet. Difficut to make an argument.

Can someone please explain to Mr. Schneider that I have been on the phone with the regatta chair at least 3 times a week for the last 2 months talking about this, and I've called the powers that be twice to discuss it, and endured countless emails.
And can someone please tell me what class Mr. Schneider sails in so that I can make sure the next time they ask for raffle prizes or any manufacturer support from anyone in the marine industry the companies are informed that they may be called an 'idiot' or an 'butt' online.

This is ridiculous. You guys should really be ashamed at your reactions. The 6th graders I used to teach weren't this bad.

I'm done.

J

Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: SurfCityRacing] #180337
05/31/09 02:38 AM
05/31/09 02:38 AM
J
JACKFLASH Offline
enthusiast
JACKFLASH  Offline
enthusiast
J

Wow! My issue with SMOD is not shapes or quality of equipment, but rather the inconsistency with what should be consistant. Cost is another factor as being experienced by N20 guys. My issue with Hobie is there abandonment of Fleet 8 when we opened up the racing to all makes under portsmouth. I race an SX, there is only one other that shows up with any consistency. With the F18's making their own class I need the I20's to have someone to race against. Despite our disownment, Hobie did throw down cash when we hosted the F18 NA's in 2007. They also spoke directly with me on the phone when I was converting my SX to use a Tiger mast so that I could dump the comptip that was ready to explode. They told me it wouldn't work, but they also told me to buy Hobie 20 parts versus Tiger parts and save money.

But, the name calling, and slandering of sponsors, and slandering of the Regatta Chair, is absolutely unacceptable. As the Chair for 07 F18NA's comments like that would have definately caused me to never VOLUNTEER again. If you don't like the way something is run, get off your a$$ and run it yourself. But do not ever slander someone in public who is VOLUNTEERING their time so that others can race. Doing so not only discourges that person from VOLUNTEERING again, but it will scare of other potential volunteers and racers alike, especially the new guys on the block.

Collin Casey
Infusion Platform + C2 rig and rags = one fast cookie
Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: JACKFLASH] #180358
05/31/09 09:14 AM
05/31/09 09:14 AM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
I just don’t understand how upsetting the customer became an acceptable business model. This is baffling.

Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: Mark Schneider] #180366
05/31/09 11:02 AM
05/31/09 11:02 AM
B
BlackCat Racing Offline
BlackCat Racing  Offline
B

Somebody keeps asking for people that are not going to attend because of the change back to Hobie rules so I would like to say I am one of them. I can honestly say our whole fleet is not going to attend but do not want to speak for anyone but myself.
I race a wave with a North sail and think it is a much better system than trying to keep everything stock. The boat sails much better with the North as the stock is really flat. That is my opinion and points out the need for different cuts as some other sailor might find flat sails to there liking. As for the rudders they are all EPOS which are Hobie stock and nothing else has been changed on the boat. Most thriving one deign classes have this format. Example the Thistles. Not changed for over a half century except for the measured sails from any sail maker and have a hundred boats at nationals every year with some of the best sailors around. In my opinion different sails makes the racing closer than farther apart. Every sailors sails different some like to foot some like to pinch but all like to go fast and need to find a sail that works for them.
This discussion is needed but it is also getting way out of hand. We are all sailors looking to compete have fun and race catamarans.
I wish the event tremendous success, the people who race in it fun and safety, and for the sport of catamaran sailing to grow from it.
I myself know that I will miss not being there but will be somewhere else with my friends chasing them around A mark as close as could be.

Patrick Green Stock Hobie wave #11 North sail...

Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: rhodysail] #180371
05/31/09 12:15 PM
05/31/09 12:15 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
Originally Posted by rhodysail
I just don’t understand how upsetting the customer became an acceptable business model. This is baffling.

You'll have to explain what you are refering to on this.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: SurfCityRacing] #180375
05/31/09 01:53 PM
05/31/09 01:53 PM
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Jeremy,
Thanks for supporting this event like you have. Looks like HCA has kind of put you in the middle of things. When I was doing some support for Sailboats of Bakersfield, I noticed you were doing an incredible job of reggatta support. You are truly an embassador of good will for the sport. I would have to say, if someone is pointing a finger at you calling you an "idiot", then there's three more pointed back at them. I'll be intouch with you off line about things comming up.

BTW, I can't remember who it was that told me I could't race at Midwinters. Whomever was in charge back then, I guess. It was through an e-mail. The resopnse was something like "You will not be allowed to race". I do remember that was a deciding factor for me on choosing which regatta to attend from there on out. When I was in Az, I chose Fleet 42 over the local Hobie fleet 66 because of the "exclusive" additude, even though I had a Hobie then too. I can understand the thought process behind all this but I don't agree with it. It also doesn't supprise me that any fast boat that Hobie sells now has to be designed and built in Europe.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: TeamChums] #180408
05/31/09 06:44 PM
05/31/09 06:44 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Dissension with in the ranks of the Hobie Only Militia - there is a god!!!!

Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: Ventucky Red] #180409
05/31/09 06:54 PM
05/31/09 06:54 PM
H
Hullflyer1 Offline
enthusiast
Hullflyer1  Offline
enthusiast
H

This horse is dead, you know what to do when the horse is dead. YOU GET OFF

Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: Hullflyer1] #180467
06/01/09 09:50 AM
06/01/09 09:50 AM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

Wow. There is a couple pretty nasty people out there. I said it before and I'll say it again: Leave Gordo, Jeremy and anyone else you want to blame, the kiss out of this. Jeremy is NOT an idiot, Jeremy is truley one of the coolest guys around, and he's doing what he does to support his family and his fun all at the same time. Don't we ALL wish we could do that.
None of this even matters anymore, so move on. Nothing to see here. We have Trapseaters lining up to come to HavaMega, there is a bajillion Tigers, 20 and 17s coming too. You want a large Wave event, then conform to the rules that have been set, and come to the Desert in Nov.
As far as you guys STILL complaining on not being able to come to one of the HCA-NA sanctioned events on your 'insert name here' boat, I don't know what to tell you. It is what it is and other than a few people here and there, we don't want or intend to change it.
Wave sailors: We (HCA-NA) will CONTINUE to offer One design racing at ALL of our approved events for the Hobie Wave. And the 21 too. 3+ boats gets you your own start. Anyone tells you differnt, please have them contact me or Matt Bounds.
Please stop. There are a few posters on this thread that I thought I was friendly with, but some of the comments made I am starting to take personally, and there are just too many nice people in our Hobie-universe and sailing group to deal with this name calling and bullshi#. Let it go. Be nice. Have a happy day with whatever boat you have. Be glad you have the means and ability to even have a great hobby like this and let people do what they are going to do.

Last edited by xanderwess; 06/01/09 09:51 AM.
Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: ] #180476
06/01/09 10:34 AM
06/01/09 10:34 AM
Syracuse,N.Y
pbisesi Offline
enthusiast
pbisesi  Offline
enthusiast

Syracuse,N.Y
Chris
Thanks for all that you have been doing everyday.
When I see posts like have been put up here, I go back to what mom said: Consider the source.
Another question I ask myself is: How do they know that?(did I miss something?)
When guys are not involved with the HCA or go on personnel attacks or have sailed in one regatta in ten years they lose credibility with me and really don't merit a response.
Keep up the good work.

Pat Bisesi Fleet 204
Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: pbisesi] #180485
06/01/09 12:21 PM
06/01/09 12:21 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

It's unfortunate for the future of catsailing that so many people here would rather lash out at people and refuse to let go of the personal agendas than step forward to make something good happen. Very unfortunate.

I gave a reasonable option to resolve the issue at hand (Waves at HavaMega). Only one person even made reference to it, and again, showed how willing they are to make a personal agenda get in the way of event success.

I don't think we need to look at edicts, manufacturers, or anything else to understand why catsailing is on the decline. This thread shows the real issues all too well.

Mike

Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: brucat] #180487
06/01/09 01:01 PM
06/01/09 01:01 PM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

Sorry, I read your idea brucat, and if there are people serious about it, I'll talk to Gordo and see what kind of arm twisting I can do. Its a good idea, and didn't mean to gloss over it.

Last edited by xanderwess; 06/01/09 01:02 PM.
Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: ] #180488
06/01/09 01:17 PM
06/01/09 01:17 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Hi Chris,

You, Jeremy, Gordo, and a host of others are doing great things. Sometimes that gets lost in these threads.

My last set of comments really had less to do with the actual idea that I offered (maybe it could help, who knows), than with the state of things in general.

The way this all went down certainly won't make it into a Top 10 list of best PR stints, but if people aren't willing to ALLOW something positive to come of it, nothing will. I have been the victim of this mentality in the past as well.

Mike

Re: Unwelcome.... re Waves [Re: brucat] #180500
06/01/09 03:04 PM
06/01/09 03:04 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Hey Mark,
I think your trying to shoot the messenger. Jeremy seems to be caught in the middle, not the one you need to be railing against.
Hey Jeremy,
There's a real good possibility that those not coming don't get on this forum. I know I check it everyday, but as I discovered in trying to build the N-20 owner's list, lotsa folks don't.I've been getting a steady trickle at best, from the forum. I know it's crazy but some folks aren't as addicted as us.I'd also appreciate it if you didn't blackball Mark from the swag list, as I sail in the same class as him. He's done alot for cats for along time.
You two have alot more in common than you know.Your both trying to do the right thing.
Now let's all hold hands and sing "Kumbaya"

Todd

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 305 guests, and 94 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022