06/24/09 04:02 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by brucat
I'm confused, didn't someone here say that marketing actually requires sucking?

lol!

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: brucat] #182893
06/24/09 04:22 PM
06/24/09 04:22 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Do something constructive...

Reality check time: we are now talking money.

Should every regatta in the Area charge 5 bucks a boat to fund the Championship?
(Do the sailors support the notion of a USSA championship and are they willing to pay for it)

Should the Area Rep and the Class Rep pay their own fees.
(is the championship worth xxx bucks for them to compete in it?)

Should the qualifier and NA class pay the entry fee for their representative.

How far down the qualifier list should you go to fill out the championship card?
(First guy who can afford the event?)

Should we suspend the championship after this year until the investment income is enough to cover the costs?

Sounds like decision time is approaching.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: Mark Schneider] #182894
06/24/09 04:27 PM
06/24/09 04:27 PM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

Reality check time: we are now talking money.

What kind of a cut does us sailing take off the top?

Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: rhodysail] #182895
06/24/09 04:33 PM
06/24/09 04:33 PM
Columbia South Carolina, USA
dave mosley Offline
veteran
dave mosley  Offline
veteran

Dont we already pay a penalty of $5 for not being a member of US Sailing at most large regatta's? Are you going to charge us non members $10 now... I dont think so!

David Mosley, eagerly awaiting change so I can rejoin USSA, and thanks to those who have time and money that can go the AGM and other events to represent us.

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27

Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: dave mosley] #182899
06/24/09 05:03 PM
06/24/09 05:03 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Personally, I'll be renewing my membership at the Qualifier. No qualifier, no check.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: rhodysail] #182903
06/24/09 06:04 PM
06/24/09 06:04 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Originally Posted by rhodysail
What kind of a cut does us sailing take off the top?

Each of the adult championships require the host to pay $50 per sailor to have the event. For Alter Cup, that is $2,000.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: Mark Schneider] #182906
06/24/09 06:26 PM
06/24/09 06:26 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA

Should every regatta in the Area charge 5 bucks a boat to fund the Championship?
(Do the sailors support the notion of a USSA championship and are they willing to pay for it)

You knew the answer before you asked it.

(is the championship worth xxx bucks for them to compete in it?)

Should the qualifier and NA class pay the entry fee for their representative.

Yes the Area and Class reps should pay their way! It's a freaking hobby and it's an expensive one at that. Unless Mr. Bachelor and Mr. Brown can find a vendor that is willing to pay for advertising nobody sees it's going to stay that way.

How far down the qualifier list should you go to fill out the championship card?
(First guy who can afford the event?)

This is the sad reality of ANY championship. It may not be the best set of teams on the line every time. We all have lives outside sailing and sometimes the two just are not compatible and sometimes we simply don't have the sticks to stroke the check. The upside of this is there are teams that get a taste of the AC that normally wouldn't make the cut and I can't help to think that the experience doesn't motivate them to improve and get involved with sailing that much more.

Should we suspend the championship after this year until the investment income is enough to cover the costs?

Absolutely not! Kick starting this thing once it has been shutdown will be very difficult and could kill it forever (IMO). It will also shift the momentum in favor of those that desire this championship to go away.

My 2 cents.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: dave mosley] #182908
06/24/09 06:42 PM
06/24/09 06:42 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by dave mosley
Dont we already pay a penalty of $5 for not being a member of US Sailing at most large regatta's? Are you going to charge us non members $10 now... I dont think so!

David Mosley, eagerly awaiting change so I can rejoin USSA, and thanks to those who have time and money that can go the AGM and other events to represent us.

That extra $5 you pay for not being a US sailing member goes to the club hosting the event (not US Sailing). As part being a US Sailing club, US Sailing ask the club to provide a $5 entry fee discount for all US Sailing members so membership will have some benefits. My US Sailing membership generally pays for itself.

Jake Kohl
Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: David Ingram] #182912
06/24/09 07:19 PM
06/24/09 07:19 PM
Annapolis, MD
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD

I did... but thought it should be asked anyway since waterbug suggested it.

I agree with you... No charges..
the USSA surcharge goes to the Host club. It's like the requirement to be a class member or a Yacht club member for reciprocity.

Yep... I agree. Everyone is funding their own sailing program. The OA understands sailor budgets and can run a no frills championship if need be.

How far down the qualifier list should you go to fill out the championship card

I agree again... Work your way down each Area List.. They supported the ladder and championship go and do your best. NA's have a particular geographical flavor and you still can say you finished XX in the nationals. Same for the Alter cup.

Keep it running, I agree... right size the event to make the numbers work.

What I propose is that we need to do is to elevate the Qualifier a notch above the standard regatta and get all of the OD fleets to strongly support it by turning out.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: Mark Schneider] #182919
06/24/09 08:20 PM
06/24/09 08:20 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
did you just answer yourself?

[Linked Image]

Jake Kohl
Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: Jake] #182920
06/24/09 08:30 PM
06/24/09 08:30 PM
Annapolis, MD
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Yes

This is what has made the events vulnerable. We're currently, right now today, on the brink of losing them both. Neither event has a plan for 2010 in place. The authors of the report have suggested that the events "take a year off" to get organized.

What are your thoughts from Area D north country?

Brucat What are your thoughts from Area A/B country
[quote][/quote]

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 06/24/09 10:37 PM. Reason: Added JW's assesment

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: Jake] #182941
06/25/09 07:16 AM
06/25/09 07:16 AM
dave mosley Offline
veteran
dave mosley  Offline
veteran

The $5 fee is charged by alot of people who never know why they are charging it. I always thought it was for the use of US Sailing Insurance for the regatta, but maybe it is just a penalty for not joining.

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27

Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: dave mosley] #182942
06/25/09 07:19 AM
06/25/09 07:19 AM
dave mosley Offline
veteran
dave mosley  Offline
veteran

area D North always pulls a regatta off, and most people know it will be in the fall at Nigel's. If youre not from here, than I can see your point that nothing looks organized, but it really is "brewing" in the background.

Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: Mark Schneider] #182958
06/25/09 08:33 AM
06/25/09 08:33 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
How can this be!? That's three times isn't it?

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: dave mosley] #182964
06/25/09 08:43 AM
06/25/09 08:43 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
An area qualifier can never be a niche or localized event. The AC qualifier needs to be exposed to as my sailors as possible. Although it may be nice for those local to the venue to have the qualifier is the same location year over year it's a burden for those not from that particular area. Every area should make an effort to move the event around so the travel burden is shared equally.

This has been done in Area D South for a very long time (credit JW). We are getting a distinctly different set of sailors from venue to venue and the numbers are surprisingly consistent.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: dave mosley] #182966
06/25/09 08:46 AM
06/25/09 08:46 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by dave mosley
The $5 fee is charged by alot of people who never know why they are charging it. I always thought it was for the use of US Sailing Insurance for the regatta, but maybe it is just a penalty for not joining.

It's not a charge - it's a discount...i.e. benefit of membership. US Sailing asks (or requires) it's clubs to offer US Sailing individual members a discount on regatta entry fees.

Jake Kohl
Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: Jake] #182969
06/25/09 08:50 AM
06/25/09 08:50 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

PLEEEZ! There is no benefit to USS membership! We are just so many sheep to be fleeced.

Last year they took cats out of the Olympics and we were told to join up and be heard, so I did. Now I'm being told by the organization that the membership is too disorganized!? What the hell is that?

The only "benefit" I'm interested in, from USS, is a multihull championship. If they can't, or won't, provide it, they're of no use to me.

Last edited by pgp; 06/25/09 08:53 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: pgp] #182987
06/25/09 09:29 AM
06/25/09 09:29 AM
dave mosley Offline
veteran
dave mosley  Offline
veteran

If you are not a member, then its a penalty. Its another "strongarm" technique to part me from my money to force me to join USS.
My point was in the late 90's some fleets(not Yacht club affiliated groups) were charging the $5 because "thats what we have alwasy done". It was on the NOR and entry form for so long that it just kept getting put on when no one really knew why.
How do I know? After parting with Hobie, we immediately dropped it from the SEACATS regatta fees, and others followed suit. When we were Div 9, I guess Hobie or the fleet got the money, no one is really sure now.

Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: dave mosley] #182989
06/25/09 09:38 AM
06/25/09 09:38 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Too me it's a moot point. A Multihull Championship is worth an additional $50 (my USS membership). That's what I'll right a check for. No championship, no check.

I'm paid up for this year, but in 2010 I'll have an extra $50 (on top of the usual entry fee) for an OA that wants to host a NA Multihull Championship. If you want to get into word games, call it the "Rick White Cup". Just tell me when and where, I'll be there. . .if it isn't too far~ cool

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: US Sailing Championship Report... re Multi's. [Re: pgp] #183018
06/25/09 10:54 AM
06/25/09 10:54 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Dave M and Pete, I'll say this as politely as possible, the attitude that you have expressed, just in these last two posts, is exactly the cancer that's eating away at this whole thing. If you put a negative spin (or truly have a negative attitude) towards this, and don't put it aside and step up to make something happen (not just send in a check and have someone else do it, or worse, refuse to pay and expect someone else to do it), you're going to see more of the same, well, less of the same if you know what I mean.

Mark, we've had some successful Area A qualifiers in the past. Most times, this was at the Lipton Cup in Quincy and wasn't part of a points regatta (which may be what hurt Roton Point the year they tried it). I can't speak to Area B. But, if enough people want an event, I don't see why we couldn't make it happen. These tend to cost more because usually, there isn't a host fleet willing to do the work, it falls to partnering with a YC, which always costs more than fleet-driven events (YCs have more overhead, staff, etc.). And, you don't typically see the average sailors attending these events, so fewer boats means higher cost per boat (plus both crew members need to be USSA members).

Mike

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 560 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022