10/28/09 10:01 AM
10/28/09 10:01 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
Comparing apples to apples (racing tri vs. racing cat), the tris have usually comes out as faster around the course

Rolf, can you give some examples? I dont know of any classes where a fully optimized racing tri beat a cat on a regular basis.

Formula 40? Whern't the cats dominant in the F40 class?

The G class cats beat the tri's around the world, but the tri's didnt really compare, they were outclasses by the cats.

Orma 60's are all tri's so thats not a good comparison.

The Seacarts and Farriers dont have any real close cat comparisons.

And with beachcats, there arent any 20ft racing tri's.

I dont know of any fully optimized racing classes where tri's and cats routinely compete on equal footing.

Bill

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: New A Cup News [Re: bvining] #194776
10/28/09 10:09 AM
10/28/09 10:09 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Formula 28 class comes to mind. The tris was the preferred option there. But as I wrote, the design envelope sets a lot of the parameters for what makes for the fastest design. Yes, it is kind of hard to make an apple to apple comparison.

Re: New A Cup News [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #194780
10/28/09 10:31 AM
10/28/09 10:31 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
"America's Cup Deathmatch"

I like the sound of that. Thanks Rolf! You're in charge of marketing now...

Jay

Re: New A Cup News [Re: bvining] #194799
10/28/09 11:43 AM
10/28/09 11:43 AM
uk
TEAMVMG Offline
veteran
TEAMVMG  Offline
veteran

uk
Formula 40 was killed off because the fleet was mostly cats and a couple of tris like Biscuits Cantreau and Adrenalin came along and outclassed them all

Paul

teamvmg.weebly.com
Re: New A Cup News [Re: bvining] #194826
10/28/09 03:34 PM
10/28/09 03:34 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by bvining
Comparing apples to apples (racing tri vs. racing cat), the tris have usually comes out as faster around the course

Rolf, can you give some examples? I dont know of any classes where a fully optimized racing tri beat a cat on a regular basis.

Formula 40? Whern't the cats dominant in the F40 class?

The G class cats beat the tri's around the world, but the tri's didnt really compare, they were outclasses by the cats.

Orma 60's are all tri's so thats not a good comparison.

The Seacarts and Farriers dont have any real close cat comparisons.

And with beachcats, there arent any 20ft racing tri's.

I dont know of any fully optimized racing classes where tri's and cats routinely compete on equal footing.

Bill

Orma 60 was actually an open development class - cats were class legal and at least one was built.

The tri is a unique solution here because the DoG limits the boat based on Load Waterline Length. With the tri, you can mostly float everything on the center hull which nails the load waterline limit. Meanwhile, the amas barely touch the water at their deepest rocker...hence why we see the huge bow and stern overhangs on the amas on DogZilla. Since the center hull should ideally be flying, it's water shape is less important than it's measurement shape. It also allows for the weight of the boat to change significantly without affecting the measured LWL...for instance...changing different rigs and adding crazy things like rigid wings.

The catamaran has a tougher time pulling this off and the loading/weight has to be precise to get the measured LWL right - presuming they're trying to get the same kind of overhangs with the benefit of an extended hull length under sail. Getting LWL and weight right also dictates the hull shape more-so than the tri. The tri's ama rocker / shape can be optimized for sailing without much regard for static measurement since the center hull carries the burden for that.

Jake Kohl
Re: New A Cup News [Re: Jake] #194835
10/28/09 03:53 PM
10/28/09 03:53 PM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
Orma 60 was actually an open development class - cats were class legal and at least one was built.

The tri is a unique solution here because the DoG limits the boat based on Load Waterline Length. With the tri, you can mostly float everything on the center hull which nails the load waterline limit. Meanwhile, the amas barely touch the water at their deepest rocker...hence why we see the huge bow and stern overhangs on the amas on DogZilla. Since the center hull should ideally be flying, it's water shape is less important than it's measurement shape. It also allows for the weight of the boat to change significantly without affecting the measured LWL...for instance...changing different rigs and adding crazy things like rigid wings.

The catamaran has a tougher time pulling this off and the loading/weight has to be precise to get the measured LWL right - presuming they're trying to get the same kind of overhangs with the benefit of an extended hull length under sail. Getting LWL and weight right also dictates the hull shape more-so than the tri. The tri's ama rocker / shape can be optimized for sailing without much regard for static measurement since the center hull carries the burden for that.

Thanks Jake, I didnt know that. So, the tri would have a measurement advantage under the DOG rules.

I guess thats why Alinghi has that weird bow too, to keep within the static waterline measurement rules.

Re: New A Cup News [Re: bvining] #194843
10/28/09 04:50 PM
10/28/09 04:50 PM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
While doing some googling I came across an article from 2000 that talks about Alinghi's LeBlack.
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/at...maran-99143_article_seahorse_aug2000.pdf
Amazing how similar the new boat looks compared to LeBlack.

There was a whole discussion going at BoatDesign as well, but not very conclusive whether tri's are faster.
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/catamaran-vs-trimaran-8101.html

Re: New A Cup News [Re: bvining] #194855
10/28/09 06:32 PM
10/28/09 06:32 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by bvining

Thanks Jake, I didnt know that. So, the tri would have a measurement advantage under the DOG rules.

I guess thats why Alinghi has that weird bow too, to keep within the static waterline measurement rules.

I've been fascinated at the thought process behind the designs but I have yet to really understand why Alinghi's bow is so proud of the water. I have a theory that they had intended to have a stern overhang while at rest similar to DogZilla and perhaps even with the top of the rudder airborn. Later, they saw an opportunity to mess with the measurement rule to subversively include the rearmost plane where the rudders enter the water into the LWL measurement and give BMWO a humongous headache. All they had to do was add ballast to the rear of their boat sinking the sterns and lifting the bows. Their water line measurement just moves rearward but remains mostly the same overall. In the case of DogZilla, the amas extend well behind the center hull and the rudders are tens of feet from the stern of the center hull. At rest, the rudder/hull join area is well clear of the water. Inclusion of the rudder plane in the LWL measurement is a big problem for DogZilla.

This starts to have perhaps a little credibility when you also consider that Alinhi's cat has been designed for dumpable ballast from day one (which is still questionable from a legal/rule standpoint)...so they can just adjust their fore/aft trim with ballast as needed.

Then again, maybe they were just terrified of pitchpole and decided to add a little margin of safety with the bow line on the Alinghi cat.

Jake Kohl
Re: New A Cup News [Re: Jake] #194856
10/28/09 06:33 PM
10/28/09 06:33 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
OH! And be ready for a big technological unveiling next week from BMWO in San Diego. There's near certainty that a monster rigid wing will emerge from the shed.

Jake Kohl
Re: New A Cup News [Re: Jake] #195146
11/02/09 01:13 PM
11/02/09 01:13 PM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

More "new news" that's a little old...

In the words of Achmed the Dead Terrorist (Jeff Dunham)... "HOLY CR@P!!!"

The judge decided to bring in three former AC jury members, who the competitors can choose, to help decide the remaining sticky items.

In the words of my fellow drunk Irishmen everywhere... "BRILLIANT!!!"

Mike

Re: New A Cup News [Re: brucat] #195147
11/02/09 01:23 PM
11/02/09 01:23 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
First she said that the rudders on BOR 90 were legal as the best LWL measurement rule that SNG could find that INCLUDED the rudders were for a toy boat class :P

Re: New A Cup News [Re: Jake] #195148
11/02/09 02:03 PM
11/02/09 02:03 PM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
Originally Posted by Jake

I've been fascinated at the thought process behind the designs but I have yet to really understand why Alinghi's bow is so proud of the water.

Then again, maybe they were just terrified of pitchpole and decided to add a little margin of safety with the bow line on the Alinghi cat.

Jake, there is a new video in which it has some very nice trim.
Its on the Alinghi Friends section of their website, its an interview with Dirk Kramer Alinghi's chief engineer.
That is one seriously fast cat, some very nice sailing footage.

Re: New A Cup News [Re: Tony_F18] #195149
11/02/09 02:30 PM
11/02/09 02:30 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
SNG appealing the no-RAK decision.

Assholes!!

Re: New A Cup News [Re: ThunderMuffin] #195153
11/02/09 03:03 PM
11/02/09 03:03 PM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

I would think that they sort of have to, if for no other reason than to save face with the politicians in RAK.

Besides, at this point, nothing any of the competitors do that becomes more court business really surprises me. Appeals, now matter how futile, are always on the table.

Mike

Re: New A Cup News [Re: brucat] #195155
11/02/09 03:16 PM
11/02/09 03:16 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
This is the second time now that SNG said "we wont appeal" and then a week later... appeals.

Re: New A Cup News [Re: ThunderMuffin] #195156
11/02/09 03:38 PM
11/02/09 03:38 PM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
You cant deny it is kind of entertaining. grin
I am sure it will be worth the wait to see these two boats race,
this is in fact the only AC ever that I'm looking forward to.
Who knows how long it takes before they race in multis again,
as they will probably go back to 4 knot shitboxes in future. frown

Re: New A Cup News [Re: Tony_F18] #195157
11/02/09 03:42 PM
11/02/09 03:42 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
as they will probably go back to 4 knot shitboxes in future.

Can you believe that people actually WANT to go back to those boats after the magnificence we're seeing right now with regards to boat design?

Of course, unless you want the absolutely richest of the rich to be able to play... then they'll probably have to resort to the less expensive lead-haulers.

Re: New A Cup News [Re: ThunderMuffin] #195160
11/02/09 04:27 PM
11/02/09 04:27 PM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

The PR nightmare for cats with the AC is this: To the general public, and typical AC fans, cats only come into play when the whole event is in trouble (DoG matches). Cats then get a guilty-by-association view and whenever the general sailing media refers to the ACs with cats, they are always seen as inferior events and a black eye on the history of the AC. I've already seen a bunch of articles in which the author and/or quoted "experts" are saying that they just want to get past this chapter and get the AC back to the event it should be (monohulls)...

Mike

Re: New A Cup News [Re: brucat] #195169
11/02/09 06:01 PM
11/02/09 06:01 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by brucat
The PR nightmare for cats with the AC is this: To the general public, and typical AC fans, cats only come into play when the whole event is in trouble (DoG matches). Cats then get a guilty-by-association view and whenever the general sailing media refers to the ACs with cats, they are always seen as inferior events and a black eye on the history of the AC. I've already seen a bunch of articles in which the author and/or quoted "experts" are saying that they just want to get past this chapter and get the AC back to the event it should be (monohulls)...

Mike

Agreed. To the general sailing public, this is a "freak show" and these are not "real" sailboats.

Re: New A Cup News [Re: mbounds] #195172
11/02/09 06:47 PM
11/02/09 06:47 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by mbounds
Originally Posted by brucat

Mike

Agreed. To the general sailing public, this is a "freak show" and these are not "real" sailboats.

Oh, I don't know if I agree with that. It's hard to look at these two boats and deny them as incredibly refined sailing machines. All the precise engineering and relentless chase for all the speed imaginable and, if nothing else, the incredible scale of these boats is hard to not appreciate...I don't care who you are.

Jake Kohl
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 364 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022