10/30/09 11:02 PM
I
iansammis Offline
stranger
iansammis  Offline
stranger
I

Pepin:

1) You want him to buy a 1 3/8" diameter plug for his 2" diameter pole that he just purchased?

2) Anodizing looks cool and reduces any chance of corrosion.

3) The plugs for sale on gobarefootstudio.com are extremely lightweight. they are completely machined on the inside and outside.

4) Is there a problem with a company making a profit?

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: how to install an internal tack line in my spin pole [Re: iansammis] #195038
10/31/09 04:38 AM
10/31/09 04:38 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Originally Posted by iansammis
Pepin:

1) You want him to buy a 1 3/8" diameter plug for his 2" diameter pole that he just purchased?
No. That was merely information for whoever might be looking at converting to an end plug. I felt that having a source for different size end plug might interest other people.

2) Anodizing looks cool and reduces any chance of corrosion.
Anodizing with a clear layer doesn't look more cooler... And I'm not convinced it is necessary. My father sail around the world in a 10yo non painted aluminum boat. It's raw aluminum, with no protective layer whatsoever, in salt water...

3) The plugs for sale on gobarefootstudio.com are extremely lightweight. they are completely machined on the inside and outside.

4) Is there a problem with a company making a profit?
I have no problem with a company making a profit. I was just saying that this looked expensive and there was a potential source for similar parts (albeit for a smaller diameter pole) for cheaper. Are you saying that competition on prices is a bad thing?

Re: how to install an internal tack line in my spin pole [Re: pepin] #195046
10/31/09 08:28 AM
10/31/09 08:28 AM
W
waynemarlow Offline
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline
old hand
W

Anodising is a wate of money, the D12 line which we use seems much better as it is much less abrasive and is fairly slippery, runs through nicely ( + you can use a shakle knot on the end to attach the sail ).

Both Pepin and I have gone for much simpler set up, that of having all 3 ropes ( two bridles and one out haul ) coming out of the one centre hole, in the later iteration which Bitza has I simply had a groove machined around the plug and a hole drilled sideways into the centre hole. The bridle then is one piece, wraping around the groove, through the sideways hole into the centre hole and then out through the front ( sorry I'm to lazy to do a drawing ). It works well and is very light weight.

If anyone wants a number made at a specific diameter or design, I know a man who can at minimal cost. Just PM with your requirements.

Re: how to install an internal tack line in my spin pole [Re: pepin] #195168
11/02/09 05:51 PM
11/02/09 05:51 PM
Vancouver, BC
Tornado Offline
veteran
Tornado  Offline
veteran

Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by pepin
Drill a hole. Then twist the drill around to enlarge it in the direction the line will travel. Done.

The F18 rules requires spin poles to have a "blunt and rounded" tip, and that's for a good reason. IHMO all classes should do the same: Without one those poles are awesome cookie cutter and can cut through anything. So please make sure you plug the end of you new spin pole properly.

As usual Pepin is right on. After drilling, angle the drill in the directing the line will run to fair in the hole edges. Then I'd add the additional step of taking a bit of rod/screwdriver shaft at nearly the same diameter...leverage th rod in the hole so it bends the alu outward at the forward side and inward at the aft side. Then use a round file to put final deburring on all the edges.

This basically makes a very clean through-deck. I've seen this done on many keelboat masts & extrusions.

Mike Dobbs
Tornado CAN 99 "Full Tilt"
Re: how to install an internal tack line in my spin pole [Re: Tornado] #195202
11/03/09 08:59 AM
11/03/09 08:59 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Tornado

Then I'd add the additional step of taking a bit of rod/screwdriver shaft at nearly the same diameter...leverage th rod in the hole so it bends the alu outward at the forward side and inward at the aft side. Then use a round file to put final deburring on all the edges.

Thanks Guys, i followed this method and got pretty great results.

I was originally told i could bend out the hole a little with a #2 screwdriver, but was cautioned against it by an aluminum welder. It was stated the better the quality the alum.... the more chance of it snapping/or cracking and i was not willing to wait another 4 weeks to get another pole... so i did not attempt to dimple (bend) the hole.

Last edited by andrewscott; 11/03/09 09:01 AM.
Re: how to install an internal tack line in my spin pole [Re: John Williams] #195210
11/03/09 10:05 AM
11/03/09 10:05 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by John Williams
Taper the tack line and your abrasion issues "melt" away... one reason I looked to the aluminum part was because my tack line was eating the delrin fitting. Someone tipped me off that removing the sleeve and just running the core eliminated the wear. It's easier on the sail, too - no more little burn holes. ;-)

can you do this on regular xls line or only with dynema core?

Re: how to install an internal tack line in my spin pole [Re: ] #195225
11/03/09 12:12 PM
11/03/09 12:12 PM
Y
yurdle Offline
journeyman
yurdle  Offline
journeyman
Y

Originally Posted by andrewscott
It was stated the better the quality the alum.... the more chance of it snapping/or cracking and i was not willing to wait another 4 weeks to get another pole... so i did not attempt to dimple (bend) the hole.

What makes the pole take four weeks? I have assumed that getting a 2" x .065 or 1.5" x 065 6061 T6 from the local metal shop would do just fine...and started a new project under that assumption. Are you (or anyone) using something special, ie not readily available? thanks

Re: how to install an internal tack line in my spin pole [Re: yurdle] #195226
11/03/09 12:19 PM
11/03/09 12:19 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by yurdle

What makes the pole take four weeks? I have assumed that getting a 2" x .065 or 1.5" x 065 6061 T6 from the local metal shop would do just fine...and started a new project under that assumption. Are you (or anyone) using something special, ie not readily available? thanks

That is how long it took for me from the time i broke my pole, to purchase, cut, fit, rig, test and use my new pole. i had to exchange the first pole because it did not fit my snuffer ring correctly and the new pole had to be ordered and delivered.

I am sure i could have gotten the 2" pole faster elsewhere (probably not cheaper), but i like to support and show loyalty my supplier when possible.

Here is the new pole..

[Linked Image]

Re: how to install an internal tack line in my spin pole [Re: pepin] #195227
11/03/09 12:21 PM
11/03/09 12:21 PM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Originally Posted by pepin
[...]there is no point in anodization for those bits, friction from the lines would eat through it in no time.
Just to be clear, I was not talking about the abrasion of the aluminum (which is close to zero with high tech dyneema lines) but the abrasion of the anodization.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 350 guests, and 96 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022