12/05/09 02:45 PM
38.912, -95.37
_flatlander_ Offline
old hand
_flatlander_  Offline
old hand

38.912, -95.37
Originally Posted by xanderwess
John, at the 15 or so campfires I have sat around with you, you are ALWAYS asleep. Maybe you were dreaming all that.
sleeping is a the sign of a "seasoned" (or out-of-shape) sailor wink On second thought, I have no earthly idea how Bommer and Taha can stay up so late drinking rum and still sail so well, let alone get just get up.
Originally Posted by xanderwess
AND, you were the first of the group to get a 17.......so you're the trendsetter.
Maybe one of these days I'll actually sail that boat. BTW, the 14 is READY for Ocean Springs cool

John H16, H14
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Hobie Class Bylaws Committee shoots down Formula-18 prop [Re: mmadge] #198296
12/05/09 02:49 PM
12/05/09 02:49 PM
B
Biggie Offline
stranger
Biggie  Offline
stranger
B

[Linked Image]

NAF18 sticker Nov. 2, 2001

One of the early NAF18 Newsletter

[Linked Image]
Feb. 2002

Re: hyperbole and inaccuracies [Re: Mary] #198300
12/05/09 03:08 PM
12/05/09 03:08 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by Mary
There were approximately 1,750 attendees at HCA sanctioned events in 2009.

How many events? (Just wondering what the average attendance was.)

An average in this case is a misleading statistic. Not all classes have the same number of events. There are two or three events that are way above average (for example - Madcatter for 16s, NACs for all classes) that skew the average.

There remain several locations where Tigers are raced OD in significant numbers - upstate NY and the Pacific NW are the biggest two. In those areas, they constitute a much larger percentage of attendees, but when you spread it out over the whole of North America, then they are only 6%.

Re: hyperbole and inaccuracies [Re: mbounds] #198326
12/05/09 11:06 PM
12/05/09 11:06 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by mbounds
Originally Posted by Wouter

Maybe in Europe, but not in the U.S.

A few years back at the US peak we had :

H14
H16
H17
TheMightyHobie18
H18SX
H20
H21
H. trifoiler
Tiger
Fox (although this died rather quickly)
FX-one
Wave
Getaway
Bravo

14 different designs/classes that I could write down in the span of 30 seconds.

Most of them have been terminated now that is true, but that was also sort of necessary.

Wouter

Many of those came and went before others were introduced.
In North America, there are only these classes presently racing (followed by % of attendance at HCA Events):

Hobie 14 - 4%
Hobie Wave - 1% (does not include IWCA events)
Hobie 16 - 52%
Hobie 17 - 12%
Hobie 18 - 12%
Hobie 20 - 13%
Hobie Tiger OD - 6%

There were approximately 1,750 attendees at HCA sanctioned events in 2009.

1,750 unique participants or total added up at all the events (including repeats)? I'm not trying to degrade...I'm a statistic freak.

Jake Kohl
Re: hyperbole and inaccuracies [Re: Jake] #198327
12/05/09 11:19 PM
12/05/09 11:19 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by Jake
1,750 unique participants or total added up at all the events (including repeats)? I'm not trying to degrade...I'm a statistic freak.

Total added up at all the events (including repeats).

Re: hyperbole and inaccuracies [Re: mbounds] #198337
12/06/09 06:15 AM
12/06/09 06:15 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

An average in this case is a misleading statistic.

Statistics usually are.

There are not known under the alternative name "legalized lying" for nothing.

Look at the stock market report for examples.

There are so many tricks one can employ to highlight the situation from a prefer perspective that it isn't even fun anymore.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: hyperbole and inaccuracies [Re: Diamond Shoals] #198338
12/06/09 06:29 AM
12/06/09 06:29 AM
Dublin, Ireland
Dermot Offline
old hand
Dermot  Offline
old hand

Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by Diamond Shoals
Gerard Loos from the Netherlands raced the first Hobie Tiger in this country. Team Nokia in the 1998 Worrell 1000. They did quite well until a massive storm on the Outer Banks. They lost the boat in the huge shore break (10-14 foot) at Kill Devil Hills.

I remember watching that as it happened eek There was a great webcam that year - it updated every few seconds.

Dermot
Catapult 265
Re: hyperbole and inaccuracies [Re: mbounds] #198350
12/06/09 12:47 PM
12/06/09 12:47 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
But this tiger /F18 issue involves 21 Tiger sailors in North America in two regions involving at most 6 Hobie Yacht Clubs who would change their policy.

Percentages obscure reality as well.

crac.sailregattas.com
Statistics? [Re: Mark Schneider] #198378
12/07/09 12:27 AM
12/07/09 12:27 AM
Seattle,Wa
Don_Atchley Offline
enthusiast
Don_Atchley  Offline
enthusiast

Seattle,Wa
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
But this tiger /F18 issue involves 21 Tiger sailors in North America in two regions involving at most 6 Hobie Yacht Clubs who would change their policy.

Percentages obscure reality as well.

Mark,

I'm not sure where your numbers are derived from but we've got 21 Tigers known in the Pacific Northwest alone. 5 more in the Northern California Region. And that's just the Tigers!

We have tracked growth for 3 seasons now as we grew from 3 boats to the current 21.

I don't maintain the numbers on the Nacra's in the region. But there have been 10 showing for weekend sessions up in Vancouver, BC, so I'm told. Many more of both in the Southern California.

The Tiger/F18 issues involves the entire Division for us. Not just the Tiger/F18's.

Which is why we are taking great care to make sure we have all available opinions in our area regardless of which way they lean on the proposal. We're also very careful to ensure all of the available facts are presented.

Every member we have contact with has received copies of The Proposal, Hobie Class rules, NAF18 rules, HCA Bylaws, Bylaws Committee recommendations, and statistics in a Pie Chart showing number of data points and percentages for/against.

The only thing being kept private are the names. For obvious reasons.

A persons opinion is not disputed up here. However, the outcome of the proposal has often been disputed with great passion up here, and on that fact we can all agree. smirk

Both sides can, and have looked at the same data and come to different conclusions. Only time will tell.

Respectfully,
Don Atchley
Hobie Division 4 Chairman
NAF18 Treasurer

Hobie Tiger 2003
Re: Statistics? [Re: Don_Atchley] #198379
12/07/09 01:22 AM
12/07/09 01:22 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Hey! I just look at the NAHCA Rankings which list 21 paid members of the Tiger class.... Racing in two regions of country. (See, your class website under rankings.)

The other region, Syracuse.. Rochester etc made the original proposal so you would think they would be in favor of their own proposal. The issue seems small, regional, and separated at opposite ends of the continent.
If nothing else... the vote should drive 2010 membership up!

"The Tiger/F18 issues involves the entire Division for us. Not just the Tiger/F18's."

Now this is the puzzle!... I would love to hear why a hobie 16 or other racer has an interest in the Tiger F18 class policy.

Reasons:

In many areas of the North American region HCA points events have either been canceled or run the risk of being canceled in the future due to low turnout. It is not in the best interest of Hobie one-design classes when these events cease to exist or convert to an open regatta format. Part of this problem stems from the fact that the majority of Tiger sailors prefer to race in the larger Formula 18 fleets than the smaller Tiger fleets. If adopted, this proposal will help to retain viable numbers at Points Regattas by retaining Tiger competitors and boosting numbers with additional F18 competitors.

The proposal is really a save the local yacht club request.

The entire cat racing community has an interest in Hobie Yacht Clubs going strong and putting on good events. This is why the proposal is public and draws attention. If your Yacht Club does not need saving... Don't invite the F18 class!... Let those clubs that see themselves in some trouble attempt to recruit more boats.

In politics... it is usually called local control!

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 12/07/09 01:43 AM.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Statistics? [Re: Mark Schneider] #198454
12/07/09 02:59 PM
12/07/09 02:59 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

EDIT: BTW, this is just my response to Mark's point, I'm not saying that I'm against the proposal...

The F18 is NOT the ultimate answer to saving the events or class. Division 12 proved that several years ago. Bringing in high-end boats has the unintended consquence of taking up-and-coming, and/or advanced sailors off of existing cats.

That is fine, unless new blood is not coming in; in which case, this just delays the inevitable.

Of course, it could also accelerate it, if the classes which give up sailors to the new boats shrink to the point that the remaining sailors don't show up anymore. Ask anyone sailing a TheMightyHobie18, H20 or H21 that went from 5-8 boats at regattas to 3 or less.

EDIT: I know, the Tiger class in and of itself can have the same effect. My point is, the real answer is NEW SAILORS, not newer, faster boats. To get that, you typically need to start with simpler boats (H16, etc.).

We need more Wave and H16 sailors.

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 12/07/09 03:16 PM.
Re: Statistics? [Re: Don_Atchley] #198477
12/07/09 06:53 PM
12/07/09 06:53 PM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
Originally Posted by Don_Atchley

we are taking great care to make sure we have all available opinions in our area regardless of which way they lean on the proposal. We're also very careful to ensure all of the available facts are presented.

Every member we have contact with has received copies of The Proposal, Hobie Class rules, NAF18 rules, HCA Bylaws, Bylaws Committee recommendations, and statistics in a Pie Chart showing number of data points and percentages for/against.

The only thing being kept private are the names. For obvious reasons.

A persons opinion is not disputed up here. However, the outcome of the proposal has often been disputed with great passion up here, and on that fact we can all agree. smirk

Both sides can, and have looked at the same data and come to different conclusions. Only time will tell.

Respectfully,
Don Atchley
Hobie Division 4 Chairman
NAF18 Treasurer

Division 16 is also very open with information on their website. Good to see.

Re: Statistics? [Re: brucat] #198489
12/07/09 09:29 PM
12/07/09 09:29 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
OK Mike
No one argues that we don't need more new sailors... That is why it's crucial ... essential... critical to keep Hobie Yacht Clubs alive and viable. That is the reason for the F18 proposal... It says so!

Juniors and New racers can enter cat racing through Hobie 16 racing without killing themselves.

but linking new sailors, Tiger sailing and existing Hobie Classes...in some fuzzy way... Is this really your argument or your contribution to the discussion?

Do you really want to argue or even suggest that Hobie 16 sailors nationwide should want to shoot down a proposal that Tiger sailors in at least one of only two regions a) WANT and b} their HOBIE yacht club's want since it will keep them financially solid ...Because it will undermine the Hobie 16 fleet in their regions of the country??? W TF !

Hell with this reasoning... Why stop there... Why not just neglect the Hobie 20 class and force those guys backwards to Hobie 18's... or all the way back to Hobie 16's. ...

If you believe that class preservation is achieved by not supporting competing classes... then you would be better off by denying starts to Tigers period... Start with those areas that have none in 2010 ...

Is that the argument you or anyone wants to make?

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Statistics? [Re: Mark Schneider] #198518
12/08/09 10:27 AM
12/08/09 10:27 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
...but linking new sailors, Tiger sailing and existing Hobie Classes...in some fuzzy way... Is this really your argument or your contribution to the discussion?

Do you really want to argue or even suggest that Hobie 16 sailors nationwide should want to shoot down a proposal that Tiger sailors in at least one of only two regions a) WANT and b} their HOBIE yacht club's want since it will keep them financially solid ...Because it will undermine the Hobie 16 fleet in their regions of the country??? W TF !

Hell with this reasoning... Why stop there... Why not just neglect the Hobie 20 class and force those guys backwards to Hobie 18's... or all the way back to Hobie 16's. ...

If you believe that class preservation is achieved by not supporting competing classes... then you would be better off by denying starts to Tigers period... Start with those areas that have none in 2010 ...

Is that the argument you or anyone wants to make?

Really, Mark? "I'll take reading and comprehension for 100, Alex."

Did anyone else read any of this into my post???

Mike

Re: Statistics? [Re: brucat] #198527
12/08/09 11:03 AM
12/08/09 11:03 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by brucat

Really, Mark? "I'll take reading and comprehension for 100, Alex."

Did anyone else read any of this into my post???

Mike

Yeah, I can see where Mark is in the ball park with his response to your post. Even though you say you're not against the proposal the content of your post clearly shows that you don't support it either (IMO).

Nobody is claiming the F18 proposal will save Hobie regattas. It just looks like a way to boost the F18 numbers at some Hobie only regattas making it more enjoyable for the F18 sailors and more financially viable for the hosts.

Also the argument that having X brand F18's at a Hobie regatta will cause the numbers in other Hobie classes to diminish is a red herring.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Statistics? [Re: David Ingram] #198528
12/08/09 11:26 AM
12/08/09 11:26 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

There is no red herring here, we have seen it happen. Division 12 was one of the first to adopt non-Hobie boats; our regattas no longer exist. This is not the fault of the non-Hobie sailors, but everyone, including the Hobie sailors that chose to stop racing. And, those who kept racing, unfortunately weren't effective in bringing in new sailors. Fleet 448 was doing the best job, but those numbers have been slowly diminishing as well.

That does NOT mean I am against this F18 proposal, BUT, I am not 100% in favor of it, either. We need to be sure that we are looking at the whole, big picture to keep this sport alive in 5-10 years. That means LEARNING FROM OUR MISTAKES.

Read my prior post again. The mistake that I am referring to is expecting that bringing in new boats will solve the whole problem. The answer isn't necessarily to exclude the new classes (although that has worked in some areas), but to really focus on new blood.

Even before the Hobie-only rule, our Division 12 regattas were dwindling to a point of being barely sustainable.

This is really, really hard to discuss over the web without someone taking something totally out of context, but it's not much easier in person. I just want everyone to be sure that they don't expect the F18 (or any other "quick" answer) to solve this problem long-term. It may help in the short term, which is also very important, but efforts need to be made immediately to figure out how to get new sailors onto our boats, not our existing sailors onto new boats.

Mike

Re: Statistics? [Re: brucat] #198531
12/08/09 11:54 AM
12/08/09 11:54 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Hasn't this conversation, or a variation thereof, been going on for at least 20 years?

Re: Statistics? [Re: brucat] #198538
12/08/09 12:34 PM
12/08/09 12:34 PM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
Originally Posted by brucat
EDIT: BTW, this is just my response to Mark's point, I'm not saying that I'm against the proposal...

The F18 is NOT the ultimate answer to saving the events or class.

Who said F18 IS the ultimate answer?

Personaly I think it's just another tool in the shed.

Re: Statistics? [Re: rhodysail] #198541
12/08/09 12:51 PM
12/08/09 12:51 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

I agree Bob, but we need to be aware of the unintended consequences so we can proactively work to prevent them. As I said above, if bringing in the F18s helps keeps events alive long enough to allow us to turn the tide on overall Hobie numbers, I'm all for it; but I'm not convinced this will be the case. Again, that doesn't have to mean voting down this proposal; rather, HCA needs to focus our work on bringing in new Hobie sailors and/or bringing back old ones.

If we can pull that off, Mary, it will be the key difference from the past 20 years. Otherwise, the F18 will be just another band-aid as the patient (HCA) slowly dies. EDIT: That is, of course, if you believe the hype that this is the only way to keep regattas afloat in a few places in the country, as several people have mentioned.

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 12/08/09 12:56 PM.
Re: Statistics? [Re: brucat] #198543
12/08/09 12:58 PM
12/08/09 12:58 PM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
In ten years we will be a Hobie 16 class. The Hobie 16 class is not big enough to play by itself (and it will not grow fast enough). We need friends. Any questions?

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 431 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022