01/15/10 01:54 PM
01/15/10 01:54 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
I am deeply saddened this morning by the news that Darline Hobock of Tulsa has passed away. She was an integral part of the formation of the US SAILING Multihull Council, the driving force behind the Portsmouth Committee, and a firebrand withing the wider sailing community. She was an accomplished Thistle sailor and deeply involved in volunteer activities at her home club. She was a dachshund enthusiast. Unlike some of her generation, she embraced advancing technology and served as the web liaison for multiple committees and councils within US SAILING. In 2003, the Darline Hobock Sportsmanship Award was established for teams that demonstrated outstanding character at the annual US Youth Multihull Championship for the Stevens Trophy. I'm pretty sure that it is a toss-up between Darline and Gordon Isco as to who has attended more Alter Cups than anyone else in the event's history... and she always came to volunteer.

I can't express how much Darline meant to me and to the Council. She wasn't a cat sailor, yet she took our branch of the sport under her wing and treated it as a life's cause. Even when she was discouraged at how things within the National Governing Body were going, she stuck with it and never wavered. She was a fine debater and she was clear-minded and sharp right up to the end.

Arrangements are being made later today, so I don't have many details to pass along right now. I know where services will be held, but not when. My heart goes out to Darline's dear friends in Tulsa who will miss her most, including Betsy Beddow, who has the difficult task of setting aside her grief in order to make sure Darline's final arrangements are in accordance with her wishes.

Eight bells... at long last, Darline's watch is at an end. Fair winds to a sweet, sweet woman who is quite literally irreplaceable.

Stanley's Funeral Services
3959 East 31st Street
Tulsa, OK 74135-1508
(918) 743-6271

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Eight Bells [Re: John Williams] #200536
01/15/10 01:58 PM
01/15/10 01:58 PM
Key Largo
barbshort Offline
enthusiast
barbshort  Offline
enthusiast

Key Largo
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Re: Eight Bells [Re: barbshort] #200537
01/15/10 02:33 PM
01/15/10 02:33 PM
2017 F18 Americas Site
Dan_Delave Offline
old hand
Dan_Delave  Offline
old hand

2017 F18 Americas Site
Thank you Darline for all you have done. It was always a pleasure to talk to you and be around you.

Dan DeLave

Re: Eight Bells [Re: Dan_Delave] #200546
01/15/10 03:47 PM
01/15/10 03:47 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
I'm glad I had the opportunity to speak with her at the US Sailing meeting in Houston last October. She was frail, but still tough as carbon fiber.

Heaven's about to get a lot more organized.

frown

Re: Eight Bells [Re: mbounds] #200553
01/15/10 04:53 PM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
Fair winds. May your sails always be full.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: Eight Bells [Re: mbounds] #200554
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

A HUGE loss to us all. Darline, thank you for the endless support for all aspects of our little corner of the sport. Rest in much-deserved peace.

Mike

Re: Eight Bells [Re: brucat] #200556
01/15/10 05:47 PM
01/15/10 05:47 PM
BrianK Offline
addict
BrianK  Offline
addict

Darlene was someone who really did so much behind the scenes without much recognition or thanks. Truly special person.

Re: Eight Bells [Re: TeamChums] #200558
01/15/10 06:06 PM
01/15/10 06:06 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by TeamChums
Fair winds. May your sails always be full.

Sail on ,Darline. You will be missed.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Eight Bells [Re: John Williams] #200560
01/15/10 06:13 PM
01/15/10 06:13 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
What a devastating loss to the sailing community. But that seems like a selfish thing to say, when she is the one who lost her life. I wish I had kept in touch with her more in recent years. I didn't know she was ailing.

Re: Eight Bells [Re: Mary] #200573
01/16/10 12:33 AM
01/16/10 12:33 AM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
She was a great lady, and we will miss her. Rest in Peace, Darline.
Caleb

Re: Eight Bells [Re: H17cat] #200616
01/16/10 06:00 PM
01/16/10 06:00 PM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
hobiephil Offline
hobiephil  Offline

Dunedin Causeway, FL
I never knew her personally, but without Portsmouth racing I, and probably many, would never have started. And to think she wasn't even a cat sailor... Any beach cat sailor whoever sailed in a Portsmouth race owes her. Rest in Peace, Darline.

Re: Eight Bells [Re: hobiephil] #200621
01/16/10 06:58 PM
01/16/10 06:58 PM
GISCO Offline
journeyman
GISCO  Offline
journeyman

I recived an upbeat note from Darline during the holidays, so this is a real shock to hear of her passing. Since first meeting her in the mid 80's when we formed the multihull council, I can't think of anyone more committed to doing thing right than Darline. It truly is a great loss. R.I.P.

Re: Eight Bells [Re: GISCO] #200623
01/16/10 09:32 PM
01/16/10 09:32 PM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

John and I enjoyed dinner with Darline while we were in Houston. She was a very gracious, and may I borrow a word from Mark Twain - exquisite... in the highest of fashion and decorum.

Gil Budar, Commodore of the HYRA, joined the two of us for Jobson's acceptance speech. Now that was a moment I'll never forget. I feel very blessed having shared that weekend with her.

Now we have our work to do.
BR

Re: Eight Bells [Re: hobiephil] #200666
01/17/10 04:30 PM
01/17/10 04:30 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
It is with great sadness that I morn Darline’s passing. As HobiePhil noted… Darline’s tireless efforts at developing and maintaining a level playing field for those of us racing handicap was fundamental to our enjoyment of the sport. Darline was a dedicated one design Thistle racer, but first and foremost, she was a sailor who recognized the need for a national sanctioned handicap system that was as fair and accurate as possible. She once told me how important handicap racing was to the many new and casual racers who would start racing and initially they could care less about the results. All that math. Decimal minutes??? Four crazy rating numbers. Beufort what? etc … and slowly but surely they would become a sailboat racer and appreciate the role of the Portsmouth system and then ultimately migrate into one design racing. She uniquely had her finger on the pulse of small boat sailing in the USA as she worked with both Dinghy and Catamaran clubs. She was an incredible stand for the accuracy and fairness of the rating tables. Anyone who had an issue could speak with her and get a fair answer and an invitation to assist in improving the ratings. She could never understand why catamaran sailors had this incredible need to change their boats from the standard one design configuration. From her point of view, this wasn’t sailboat racing and NONE of the other dinghy classes had this strange need to tweak their boat. Nevertheless, Darline found a way to accommodate the crazy racing that us crazy catamaran sailors wanted to do. Her contribution to our sport is irreplaceable. So, Here! Here! to Phil’s point that Darline’s enormous contribution to our sport has been felt by every sailor who has ever raced Portsmouth!

Back in the day of the classic large one design classes of Hobie’s, Prindles, Nacra’s, Supercats, Sharks, Darts, etc etc… Handicap racing was pretty small but administered by an organization called NAMSA under the supervision of Herb Malm. NAMSA used a proprietary formula and race data to generate the ratings tables. When I started racing a lonely Dart 18 in the USA, I discovered that this system generated a new race table each and every time you requested a fax from Herb. My first year of racing was under three handicap numbers. Winning or losing was a function of dumb luck on my part and luck at where the rating landed that weekend. Needless to say… this was not particularly fun for a newbie sailor. Fortunately for the world, Darline took over US Sailings Portsmouth Committee and I remember my very first conversation with her as Prindle Fleet 25 considered switching from NAMSA to USSA Portmsouth. Darline simply exuded integrity and fairness over the phone and as every scorekeeper in the country well knows… she requested I send to her the fleet’s race data from last year. I persuaded Prindle Fleet 25, soon to be CRAC, to switch over to USSA. The bar talk over ratings dropped to almost nothing. Over the years, I had the opportunity to serve on her PN committee and assist her in collecting race data and my admiration for her professionalism only grew. Our conversations were always on the phone and so I remember the day that John Williams casually remarked that Darline was really sharp for a lady who was in her 70’s…. You could have knocked me over with a feather since her vitality led you to believe that she was in her 40’s. Her passing is still unreal.

CRAC would like to make a $100 contribution in her memory to a worthy sailing organization and we invite other clubs and One Design Classes to join us in creating a small amount of recognition for her enormous contributions and the spectacular person that she was.

Sail On Diane and Thank You!

Mark Schneider
CRAC

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Eight Bells [Re: catandahalf] #200667
01/17/10 04:32 PM
01/17/10 04:32 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Some forwarded information:

Celebration of Life, Services, and Reception for Darline Hobock will be:

Friday, January 22nd, 2:00 pm
Stanley Funeral Home
East 31st Street
Tulsa, OK 74135
(918)743-6271
Viewing and visitation will Monday 1/18 & Tuesday 1/19 at Stanley’s
Champaign Reception at Stanley’s to follow services.
Memorial Donations may be made to Midtown Meals on Wheels, 1520 S. Rockford, Tulsa, OK 74120, (918)587-8515
Flowers sent for the service will be delivered afterwards to area churches and living centers.
Interment will be at Memorial Park Cemetery, although there will be no grave side services on Friday.

If you have photo to share, please email them to Steve Elliott at saell1@aol.com or drop them off at Pictures Plus and Custom Framing 3524 E 51st Street, Tulsa OK. Original photos will be returned, please leave your contact information and your name on each photo.

Your help could be used with memories and stories. Darline was a humble and modest person and didn’t share her life story with ease. Her multifaceted life was amazing for anyone, but a single child born in Pawhuska Oklahoma. WOW you came a long way Baby! I know many of you have had conversations with her about trips, hobbies, interests, reading/authors, accreditations, accomplishments, organization she helped and belonged to, etc. in her life. If you would email me anything you remember that would add to putting together her life story for the record I would appreciate it. No one person knew everything about Darline, I want to combine all these things and share them with everyone. Nothing is too small or insignificant, I know a lot, but I am learning things, so tell me anything you know.

Did you know Darline held a pilot’s license and was a member of The Ninety-Nines Organization of Women Pilots, or that she sang in a Barber Shop Quartet? I am sure there are more stories/information like this. Please plan to share these things on Friday and with me for the record.

The obituary is planned to run on Wed. 1/20, so I need to get it in on Monday, if you think of anything after Monday or have photos please send them to me and Steve up until Thursday late afternoon.

Attached Files
darline.jpg (127 downloads)

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Eight Bells [Re: John Williams] #200669
01/17/10 05:26 PM
01/17/10 05:26 PM
South Florida & the Keys
arbo06 Offline
Pooh-Bah
arbo06  Offline
Pooh-Bah

South Florida & the Keys
Sail on, may the winds find your favor.........

Eric Arbogast
ARC 2101
Miami Yacht Club
Re: Eight Bells [Re: arbo06] #200696
01/18/10 11:14 AM
01/18/10 11:14 AM
Fl
Kaos Offline
Kaos  Offline

Fl
Truely she was the type of person to give US Sailing real credibilty for me. She was exceptional in every way. I had the pleasure to work with her on several committees and even have her as a student in an Instructor Sailing Course. She defined the term used to describe a person in the most positive light. Simple put she had class. We all have lost a great role model.

Re: Eight Bells [Re: Kaos] #200746
01/19/10 12:05 AM
01/19/10 12:05 AM
Newport, RI
wildtsail Offline
old hand
wildtsail  Offline
old hand

Newport, RI
I got to know Darline through her involvement and role in supporting the US Sailing Youth Multihull Champs a few years ago... she was extremely helpful and was a HUGE part of the reason I made it to these events! I am sure she would be happy to know I spent her last weekend sailing.
I am deeply saddened to hear of her loss... she was an amazing women through her generous personality and passion for our sport... she will be irreplacable.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 741 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022