04/23/10 04:02 PM
04/23/10 04:02 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Anybody got any tips for spraying gelcoat in high humidity, possible rain. I'm in a tented enclosure, but was wondering if there is anything I need to do to the ratios of hardener or surfacing wax? Gun(gravity feed 2.0 nozzle) pressures etc.?
Thanks.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Spraying gelcoat in high humidity???? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #209399
04/23/10 04:30 PM
04/23/10 04:30 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
Add Duratec Clear Additive at around 40% +or- depending on your needs (temp, type of gun, etc). Do that and forgo the wax. Let it flash for a bit, then PVA. If you need to thin more use lacquer thinner. Use a water filter on your air line, and if It's really wet, use an inline one on the gun as well.
Like this:

Re: Spraying gelcoat in high humidity???? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #209400
04/23/10 04:47 PM
04/23/10 04:47 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Hey J,
Thanks.
Duratec won't be an option due to ordering and time constraints. I'll give you a call. Any other advice sans the duratec? Should I still do PVA instead of wax additive/Modifier C ?

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Spraying gelcoat in high humidity???? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #209402
04/23/10 05:57 PM
04/23/10 05:57 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
PVA or Wax? PVA is good if you forget to put wax in the mix, but I would just let the wax do its thing. If mixed in the proper ratios the wax alone will work fine.

Once you spray with the Duratec you'll never look back. It solves so many common gelcoat problems: fisheye, orange peel, pinair, makes the surface less porous, etc. Its great stuff.

Hope that helps!

Re: Spraying gelcoat in high humidity???? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #209408
04/23/10 06:42 PM
04/23/10 06:42 PM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing
Add Duratec Clear Additive at around 40% +or- depending on your needs (temp, type of gun, etc). Do that and forgo the wax. Let it flash for a bit, then PVA. If you need to thin more use lacquer thinner. Use a water filter on your air line, and if It's really wet, use an inline one on the gun as well.
Like this:

Nice, informative video

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

'Long Live the Legend of Chris Kyle'
Re: Spraying gelcoat in high humidity???? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #209434
04/24/10 10:37 AM
04/24/10 10:37 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing
PVA or Wax? PVA is good if you forget to put wax in the mix, but I would just let the wax do its thing. If mixed in the proper ratios the wax alone will work fine.

Once you spray with the Duratec you'll never look back. It solves so many common gelcoat problems: fisheye, orange peel, pinair, makes the surface less porous, etc. Its great stuff.

Hope that helps!

I've had opacity problems when using the duratec though...it's clear and it dilutes the solids in the gelcoat....although I do admit I've never had a curing issue when using it.

Jake Kohl
Re: Spraying gelcoat in high humidity???? [Re: Jake] #209450
04/24/10 05:13 PM
04/24/10 05:13 PM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
It does thin the color. I've found if you have bare glass spots use you favorite thickener and drag some gel putty over the discolored areas or bare glass before spraying. I make that just thick enough to keep from falling off the spreader when held upside down, or the first coat I'll spray on without the duratec until I get coverage.

Another way I've done it is to use 25% Duratec for the first couple coats and then go to 50%. I use the wax with the duratec in the last coat and I've had great results. Don't be afraid of adding a little extra wax, I've never had a problem doing it this way. I've been told you don't have to use wax with duratec but my experience says use the wax.

PVA is fine for small repairs but you don't need to deal with that if your doing larger areas.

Duratec makes a thinner. It's not cheap but it works great. I've never used lacquer thinner with gelcoat and I wouldn't myself. I've used styrene or patch booster to thin also with fine results.

Just my .02.

Have Fun
Re: Spraying gelcoat in high humidity???? [Re: catman] #209461
04/24/10 10:22 PM
04/24/10 10:22 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
Originally Posted by catman

Another way I've done it is to use 25% Duratec for the first couple coats and then go to 50%.

That's how I do darker colors, works great. Laquer Thinner helps the gel to flow a little better without adding any additional styrene, which may gel to yellow more quickly down the line.

Re: Spraying gelcoat in high humidity???? [Re: catman] #209496
04/25/10 10:17 PM
04/25/10 10:17 PM
League City, TX
flumpmaster Offline
addict
flumpmaster  Offline
addict

League City, TX
Originally Posted by catman
It I use the wax with the duratec in the last coat and I've had great results. Don't be afraid of adding a little extra wax, I've never had a problem doing it this way. I've been told you don't have to use wax with duratec but my experience says use the wax.

PVA is fine for small repairs but you don't need to deal with that if your doing larger areas.

Duratec makes a thinner. It's not cheap but it works great. I've never used lacquer thinner with gelcoat and I wouldn't myself. I've used styrene or patch booster to thin also with fine results.

OK - this will probably make some folks choke. I've used Pledge instead of wax additive or PVA on patch repairs I also thin with about 20% acetone to reduce orange peel (using a Preval sprayer). These ghetto techniques are just for small patching on hulls or foils.

Chris.

Dave Ingram is my president. tcdyc rules
Re: Spraying gelcoat in high humidity???? [Re: flumpmaster] #209519
04/26/10 09:59 AM
04/26/10 09:59 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by flumpmaster

OK - this will probably make some folks choke. I've used Pledge instead of wax additive or PVA on patch repairs I also thin with about 20% acetone to reduce orange peel (using a Preval sprayer). These ghetto techniques are just for small patching on hulls or foils.

Chris.

+1 - for small repairs to "Materhorn White" (N20 mast color) and "Cool white" (best approximation for N20 white hull color after a few years) ding touch-ups

I wished I had the Preval sprayer for my bullet hole (mental note - make future trips to Miami in daylight) repair on the car. The roll & tip looks pretty weak, but I was too lazy to go out and get another sprayer can...

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 426 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022