09/28/04 12:43 PM
09/28/04 12:43 PM
Upper Peninsula Michigan
Superyooper Offline OP
stranger
Superyooper  Offline OP
stranger

Upper Peninsula Michigan
Just a quick question, looking for anyone who can relate. I have recently purchased a Nacra 5.0 after sailing hobie for years. I got it for a steal, and have noticed that the previous owner, while the boat was on the trailer, must have cranked the rachet straps down WAY to hard exerting a compression force on the starboard hull that was enough to at least make some hairline cracks show up in the gelcoat, and who knows what else internally (I don't have any access ports installed). I have sailed it good and hard all summer and have nothing to complain about except a small amount of water in the hull after maybe every 3 good sessions. I have done lots of body work on cars, and if I close my eyes and feel where these cracks are I can actually feel that the hull is slightly kinked out around the area in question.
This will be my winter project. I was planning on re-doing the keels anyway and my thought for this other hull damage was to grind the gel coat in a generous area around the cracks down to structural material and progressively lay larger glass patches, maybe 3 or 4 layers, and re spray the gel coat. Even if I were to install an access port it would be nearly impossible to do the same on the inside of the hull due to the length of the cracks and detectable kink. Although I'm sure anything on the inside for some added integrity would be helpful. Any advice would be extremely appreciated .

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Possible Compression Fracture Nacra 5.0 [Re: Superyooper] #212825
06/06/10 04:16 PM
06/06/10 04:16 PM
Corpus Christi Bay, TX
ccmac Offline
stranger
ccmac  Offline
stranger

Corpus Christi Bay, TX
How did these repairs work out for you? I've got an '83 5.0 in the salty water of corpus christi, tx. It has some cracks/softness around one of the aft beam bolts I've been keeping an eye on. I'm not too excited about tearing it down for repairs, but I'm curious on your methods and what you found about Nacra construction.
-Josh

Josh
'83 Nacra 5.0 - 1075
Re: Possible Compression Fracture Nacra 5.0 [Re: ccmac] #212846
06/06/10 08:22 PM
06/06/10 08:22 PM
San Diego
H
hokie Offline
hokie  Offline
H

San Diego
Your 83 should be solid fiberglass with some stringers running the length of the hull. There are plywood bulkheads near the beam mounts. In a non-cored boat it is normal for the sides of the hulls to flex a little. If the beam mount is soft I think I would add an inspection port in the aft deck and approach it from the inside.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 657 guests, and 123 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022