06/04/10 12:07 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

No mate, YOU just don't get it.

There is no meaningfull difference in hull volume between the modern F16's and the Viper.

The F16's simply don't need hulls as big as say the nacra Infusion because they don't require anywhere near the displacement of those designs. The F16 hulls are 10% shorter in length and only need to carry 75% of the weight of a F18. Ergo F16's hulls are more narrow for the given length.

The Viper performance comes from the development of the rig and not because it is pushing fatter hulls through the waves. Last time I checked, fat hulls actually amount to more drag in such situations.

The stiffness argument is BS, If the standard F18's (Tiger, NF18) flex by as much as 95 mm in the test then there is no way that a large performance difference can be explained due to 10 mm difference in flexing between a Falcon/Stealth/Aussie Blade and the Viper with all of the latter below 30 mm flex anyway. Note that if the F16's had been of the F18 platform weights then they would only flex in the test to 60 mm or less, still 50% better then the F18's !

Last time I checked the Tiger crews were by far most often World Champions F18: Hell that fact could even be used to argue for reductions in stiffness !

I state and truly believe that a nomex/carbon/unobtainium/diamond inlays 100.000 bucks F16 with a few hookers as pit crew will be just as fast on the water as a 19.800 bucks race version of the Falcon/Stealth/Aussie Blade F16's or indeed any of the modern F18's

That is all the formula F16 class rule set has to do.

No Stephen, you have been beating this dead horse for 4 years now. I can't count how many times you've hinted that you would buy a F16 for yourself but eventually didn't.

Give it up mate, your are not going to impress your world view on the F16 class. So make a decision, get-with-the-program or get lost !

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
--Advertisement--
Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: ACE11] #212603
06/04/10 12:13 PM
06/04/10 12:13 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

I feel qualified to express a view - take it or leave it.

Ace,

You are welcome to this forum and I have nothing personal against you.

However, anybody creating or maintaining any chaos on this forum with respect to the F16 class rules or imaginary killer boats will get a cold shoulder.

The time has come to permanently deal with these distractors.

It is up to you to decide on which side you are on; the way I treat you is directly linked to this choice.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: Mark Schneider] #212605
06/04/10 12:18 PM
06/04/10 12:18 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

The more important twin of the technical pink elephant that is not explored are the merits of a formula class that believes that fair racing between one up and two up teams is possible.

You got me there !

However, the F16 class only does this to be inclusive of all sailors and increase the fun. I don't think mixed racing is really in our future when we ever get to hard core racing. I expect we'll split in two seperate fleets at large important events when the numbers allow that. Of course while still using the same boat design (with sails cut for the different uses).

Right now we all seem to agree that the performance is close enough to make mixed racing fun for all, not because we believe the two versions are perfectly equal over the full range of conditions.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 06/04/10 12:23 PM.

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: Jalani] #212607
06/04/10 12:26 PM
06/04/10 12:26 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Actually... sailed and raced the Bim 16 in the US, Spent a lot of time with Jim Boyer as this this thing was coming together and helped him rig his Taipan with the chute and did some playing on Lake Michigan with the two boats. There is a reason I have a long standing interest in the class but haven't bought in.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: Wouter] #212612
06/04/10 02:25 PM
06/04/10 02:25 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Not so fast! We haven't seen a "rock star" on an optimized Uni rig yet.

You're probably right, but I want to see more real world challenges before we p!ss on the fire and call in the dogs!

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: pgp] #212614
06/04/10 03:02 PM
06/04/10 03:02 PM
Hamburg
Smiths_Cat Offline
addict
Smiths_Cat  Offline
addict

Hamburg
Oh my god, some really don't understand.
If you want to debate various aspects of boat stiffness, post in this thread.
If you want to have a personal pissing contest and you really have the need to do this in a sailing forum, go to the "ban Macca" threat (sorry Macca nothing against you, it is just that this threat is there right now). But you make yourself ridiculous.
If you want to continue telling why F16 fails, or what has to be changed, create your own class or at least your own forum "the better 16ft class" and post it there. If not you make yourself ridiculous.

Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: Smiths_Cat] #212615
06/04/10 03:21 PM
06/04/10 03:21 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Are you talking to me or Mark?

I'd be interested to hear how you would rig an optimized Uni.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: pgp] #212617
06/04/10 03:31 PM
06/04/10 03:31 PM
Hamburg
Smiths_Cat Offline
addict
Smiths_Cat  Offline
addict

Hamburg
Not to you. I used the quick replay button.
Though your question is worth it's on thread.

Cheers,

Klaus

Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: Wouter] #212658
06/05/10 01:48 AM
06/05/10 01:48 AM
Brisvegas
ACE11 Offline
ACE11  Offline

Brisvegas
Originally Posted by Wouter

I feel qualified to express a view - take it or leave it.

Ace,

You are welcome to this forum and I have nothing personal against you.

However, anybody creating or maintaining any chaos on this forum with respect to the F16 class rules or imaginary killer boats will get a cold shoulder.

The time has come to permanently deal with these distractors.

It is up to you to decide on which side you are on; the way I treat you is directly linked to this choice.

Wouter

Well, thanks Wouter, very kind of you. I have though only commented on the topic of this thread - relative stiffness of platforms. I don't wish to get involved in F16 class politics. As our US friends would say - I have no dog in that fight. I agree with Klaus's comment about keeping to the thread topic and cetainly enjoy the range of views there. A nice summary has been provided and it seems to have been done to death.
I'm not on any "sides" and have stated twice on this thread my strong support for formula racing. I have no issue or comment to make on F16 class rules.

One thing which occurs to me while reading this thread and some others is that perhaps not everyone in F16 has fully grasped the concept that it is a development class, and the implications which arise from that. While there are restrictions in some areas, there are many others for individuals and manufacturers to explore. This in my view is a wonderful attribute and ensures the class will remain fresh and close to state of the art. Otherwise you remain one design and miss out on exploring exciting developments over the years. The downside is that costs may increase from time to time.

Let's try "tolerance and understanding" of different viewpoints and get on with the sailing. May it include over-stiff, sloppy or just right platforms. cool

Cheers

Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: ACE11] #212659
06/05/10 02:18 AM
06/05/10 02:18 AM
Mumbles Y.C Wales U.K
Mark P Offline
old hand
Mark P  Offline
old hand

Mumbles Y.C Wales U.K
See Wouter....It doesn't hurt to be nice.

MP*MULTIHULLS
Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: Wouter] #212660
06/05/10 03:13 AM
06/05/10 03:13 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia

No Stephen, you have been beating this dead horse for 4 years now. I can't count how many times you've hinted that you would buy a F16 for yourself but eventually didn't.

4 years ago, I was an F18 sailor preparing for the 07 Worlds with no intentions of owning an F16. 2008, I finally sold my Capricorn sailing on OP boats whislt I get married and build a house. With as little as weeks left on the house, I will know how many $$$$ I will have in the kitty to buy another boat. I am looking at a 4.9 with kite, If I have a little more $$$$, then it will be a Viper. To be honest, if there is a few more extra $$$$ left over, then it will be an A Class, because that is where the larger fleets and more competitive racing lies, particularly in the state I live.

I state and truly believe that a nomex/carbon F16 will be just as fast on the water as a 19.800 bucks race version of the Falcon/Stealth/Aussie Blade F16's

And this is where our view differs. I am sorry you believe this. shocked

Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: Mark Schneider] #212715
06/05/10 08:27 PM
06/05/10 08:27 PM
Arkansas, USA
Arsailor Offline
journeyman
Arsailor  Offline
journeyman

Arkansas, USA
I, as one of the original "Gang of Three", that came up with the concept and started this class, can attest to Mark's racing on the BIM in Michigan when I brought up my 4.9 uni. In fact, that was the only time I had actually seen the boat and may have been the last time it was raced or heard from?

Kirt

Kirt
Taipan 4.9 USA 159, Flyer USA 185
Will sail for food...
Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: Arsailor] #212749
06/06/10 03:39 AM
06/06/10 03:39 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

I too confirm Marks claim to sailing the Bim.

We discussed it at length at the time, especially the differences between it and the Taipan.

Indeed, some F16 class rules were changed partly because of the input by Mark.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: Tornado_ALIVE] #212757
06/06/10 05:01 AM
06/06/10 05:01 AM
Western Australia
Stewart Offline
old hand
Stewart  Offline
old hand

Western Australia
so why is a F18 so stupidly heavy?

Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: Stewart] #212881
06/07/10 06:42 AM
06/07/10 06:42 AM
SE Qld, Aus.
N
NickoPen Offline
stranger
NickoPen  Offline
stranger
N

SE Qld, Aus.
My 2cents...

Don't underestimate the gains to be achieved through stiffness! I think Wouter's earlier estimates of a minute over an hour are probably too conservative by far!

My reasoning: On my windsurfer, I have two 30cm fins which are almost identical in chord, profile and plan, but one is noticeably stiffer (I can feel it flex maybe 5mm when I push with all my strength, whilst the other feels like a brick!). That might not seem much, but it's enough to get me planing in almost 3 knots of wind speed earlier (11 as opposed to 14 knots) OR get me going in 15 knots with a sail that is almost 1 sqm smaller (6.0sqm vs 6.9sqm).

That is a HUGE difference from one small fin. These results are consistent over the 4 years I had both fins, always using the same anemometer and board. Sure, fins aren't the same as hulls/platform, but you get my point.

Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: NickoPen] #212883
06/07/10 07:09 AM
06/07/10 07:09 AM
W
waynemarlow Offline OP
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline OP
old hand
W

Sorry don't get your point at all, foils and stiffness of foils is a completely different issue than what we are speaking about.

Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: waynemarlow] #212884
06/07/10 07:11 AM
06/07/10 07:11 AM
Australia
macca Offline
old hand
macca  Offline
old hand

Australia
no its not, it has everything to do with how the boat as a whole deals with forces.

If a platform flexes or a foil flexes, you are not utilising the energy as efficiently as a very stiff platform or foil.

Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: macca] #212886
06/07/10 07:47 AM
06/07/10 07:47 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Not only that but in the case of the foil on a windsurfer, you are losing your latteral resistance with every 'flex'. That's the reason the Hobie guys started buying the stiff EVO rudders.

Blade F16
Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: waynemarlow] #213024
06/08/10 06:22 AM
06/08/10 06:22 AM
SE Qld, Aus.
N
NickoPen Offline
stranger
NickoPen  Offline
stranger
N

SE Qld, Aus.
Maybe I'm way off the mark, but my point was, don't underestimate the gains achievable though stiffening. Around 5mm of flex in a 30cm fin (~1.5%) when I was trying as hard as I could is still pretty stiff, but going to a rock hard fin still made a big difference.

Re: Is over "stiffness" of a boat that desirable [Re: NickoPen] #214079
06/18/10 06:58 AM
06/18/10 06:58 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia
An interesting read about developments in the A class fleet with reference to the DNA.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=108776&st=50

I have been following the DNA in particular for some time and find it particularly interesting. The word from Europe is that it is a rocket ship and that it really impressed at Cesenatico first time out. However, while curved boards are an obvious feature, there are a number of things that seem to make the boat very different.

First, as much as I can tell from pictures, some line drawings etc, it appears to me that the hullshape is very different from what we are used to seeing.There are 2 factors to this. First is underwater shape, which has more volume than, say, a flyer and means the boat should be able to be pushed harder downwind. But the real difference is that the hulls seem very big, with lots of topsides and beam. This plays into one of the things I believe is really important. The whole platform is designed to be incredibly stiff. They have paid a lot of attention to this. The boat is pre-preg carbon-nomex. By having a large hull, that lends itself to good strength. Then they have spent a lot of effort in how the beams attach to the hulls. Again, this is something seen with the Nikita but which i think most boats have an issue with.

I have commented before on my suprise as to how much twist you get on most of the top platforms (at least the ones I have checked!). It is interesting that Bob Baier commented in a recent interview, saying
In my opinion, what is crucial here is simply the honeycomb construction. Here you have much greater stiffness than on a foam boat. Although I am no boat builder, I notice this in the steering. On a stiff boat, one has the feeling that the boat is moving as a single unit. The hulls do not work against one another, rather they move synchronously through the waves, which is how it should be. The DNA ... takes the same approach and takes it further with high-profile, solid cross-members, showing the direction in which this could go.

So, yet again, we see many variables add up to what appears to be a great package. The real question is which element has the biggest impact. I am convinced by the need for a stiff platform when using any foils designed to give lift and I expect platform stiffness to become a major theme going forward. When I commented before that I thought we would see hullshapes develop to go with curved foils, I had thought we would see thinner hulls relying on the foils to keep them out of trouble. The DNA seems to go the other way - fatter hulls that are safe when needed but whichhave foils to lift and therefore improve hullshape in other conditions.

Then there is the issue of what shape the actual c foils are and in that regard, we have no idea how they compare with what is out there at the moment. This is where it is going to get fun. Somebody needs to take a single platform/rig and compare all the foils. Of course, as suggested above, that will only work for foils of the same type as the position of assy foils would probably by different from symetrical ones. For instance, at the moment there are at least 3 curved foils I would like to try in my boat, but I cannot afford it!

The final thing of note for me is that the DNA has a really good way of adjusting the amount of lift from the curved boards
[Linked Image]

While it does still need to be set up properly, it does seem to make a lot of sense. All that's missing is a few numbers next to the case so one can start building a picture of what is going on.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 686 guests, and 110 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022