Okay, the subjectline is a bit teasing but now I know for sure that you all are ready this post.

How to continue from here.

Why that ?

First of all we have now trully reached the limits of our Formula 16 website. There is no more free space left and we're practical on the limit of transfer rate continiously.

Secondly, the situation in the world (except Europe) has changed from the start-up face to the growth fase. Europe is trailing a little behind at this time. But we pretty much expected that to happen. Still, it is a good "get on with it !" to me personally.

Australia has dicovered the spinnaker sail on the Taipan 4.9 and de spi crews have enjoyed themselfs when racing F18's and felt quite able to race them first in wins. It has proven to be a little harder to convince the VYC rating officials but as long as they are giving us slower ratings as the F18's we're not complaining ! Clearly a few more races like the ones at Kurnell and the race on Queens day and the F18's will start pressuring the ratingscommittee too. This situation can only go one way and will need no further encouragement.

In other to perserve the Taipan 4.9 one-design class we try to plan around the Taipan 4.9 events and when needed we coordinate things with the Australian Taipan 4.9 class. I'm very happy with the relaxed liaisons that we currently have.

They latests news that has reached my ears is that a combined F18, F16 event (Australian Nationals for both classes I beleive) is in the making. Of course the F18 class in Australia is making good progress and I see this setup as beneficial to both. It is a policy of the Formula 16 class (and has been from the beginning) to cooperate with the F18 class. Why not share measurers ? Share events ? Share volunteers to organise these things. It looks like Australia has it down. Thanks guys !

South Asia, We just had the Koh Samui Cup and an eye catching showing by the Taipan sailors with spi (Formula 16 mode) there. Both Thai and Singaporian fleets show very rapid growth (inc spinnakers) and it looks like the Thai fleet will host the 2004 Nations cup. As soon this is definite than we'll pick a different location for the 2005 Formula 16 Global challenge. In South East Asia things are on the up and looking promising for the future. Last count had over 20 boats and crews

South Africa, In my opinion the local class with the best attitude. Bring what you've got and race it. They are actively looking to include designs of equal performance under the Open class format. Just as the European branch will look to invite and include the Spitfire, Inter17's and FX-ones into the Open formula 16 format. It is time to get rid of the secregation in the catamaran scene and start consolidating on a few performance classes. In the short time that SA F16 class exist they have already held three class events if my memory serves me right.

North America, a tough nut to crack, but we have a "pied a terre" (beach head) there. The Florida class is doing her stuff well and the new fleet at Anapolis with a dedicated importer and promoter has reinforced the beachhead. I'm expect slow but steady growth here over time together with the growth of the North American Formula 18 class. The latter seems to have reached critical mass in the last few months and now they hold events with 10-16 participants. With the Tigers slowly accepting to possibility to also race in F18 class format this participation will only grow. With this the F18 class will become the dominant class in US too. From our perspective that is good due to our setup that is closely linked to that of the F18 class. The similarities in sailplan for example will make first in racing of F16's against the F18's enjoyable are pretty fair. This while having the flexibilty of the F16 platform which allows singlehanding and sailing with your kids as well. Both US sailors like Michael Coffman and Australian sailors like the crews at the Queens day regatta and Kurnell feel very equal and competitive against the F18's while sticking to their lightweight, multi-role crafts. At last count I think we had some 17 crews in the US at this time, a good basis to end our start-up fase and get into the growth fase.

Europe. The UK is doing well with the Stealth F16 design, at this time the design is mostly bought by recreational sailors and the race participation is lower than what could be expected from the numbers sold of the old and new Stealths. Nevertheless the basis is there. Than we have the small fleets in Switzerland and Germany with which we still have no formal relations. Establishing contacts with them and see how we can cooperate to advance thelightweight 16 foot designs are is now getting high on my to-do list. The start-up in the Netherlands is underway. Currently we have 1 full F16 in transport, 1 full F16 one-off nearing completion to enter the 16th august REM event, 1 other one-off F16 being build (ready late 2004), 1 Taipan 4.9 in Formula 16 mode and 1 Bim 16. And another Fully optimized Formula 16 design is in the works (the prototype is being build right now) For a boat that has never been really promoted in the Netherlands this is a good score. Now will come the hard part, proving its preformance in races.

With these things the start-up has been made and I believe that the concept has acquired strong indications of forfulling the expectations we had when we started this class in early june 2001. I think the test periode to determine a "go or no-go" has been completed and the outcome is that the class has a future and that with proper organisation and coordination we can build this class into an international lightweight class of similar performance of the F18's for both doublehanded and singlehanded sailing. As a good entry class into race oriented sailing while being multi-role enough to cater well for recreational sailing. A good (open) class for various builders to invest in help build the class what indeed soe of them are doing.

From comments on the beach and similar onces that have being passed on from Australia and the US I know that this class has appeal. It just needs to place itself more in the forefront of the scene and show that we 're here to stay and to support anyone and everyone with a F16 platform or even comparable platforms like the Spitfire, I-17 and FX-one. And I think this is all well within our reach.

With this transition from a start-up to a more growth oriented fase I will redefine my tasks. I will become less visible and occupied myself less with the local classes. Sort of what I have been doing the last 2 months.

I will now finally get down on the website thing. Get a paid site and do the initial investments which I hope to get (partly) refunded by supporting the class sailors. This will be a considerable burden on my spare time.

I will focus far more on my own local class in the Netherlands and show the class by participating in various events here.

I will continue to work with the individual builders to coordinate the efforts of all in order to maximize the effects.

Naturally I will continue to help interested sailors who contact me privately.

And I'm going to work towards more cooperation between the Formula 18 class and the Formula 16 class. Rumour has it that some want to create a framework where the Formula classes (iF20, F18 and F16) will cooperate far more closely with regard to events and general class business like measuring, event permits etc.

ALot of behind the scenes activities. I trust that the local sailor will continue to build the local organisations as the several of you have done.

We have already gone places with this (South Asia, South Africa, Australia, America, UK, Netherlands) and with continued effort we can become great.

With kind regards,

Wouter Hijink

Chairman Formula 16 class

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands