07/14/03 11:14 AM
07/14/03 11:14 AM
K
keqwow Offline OP
stranger
keqwow  Offline OP
stranger
K

I'm wondering if a Hobie 16 can be sailed alone? I would like to purchase a Hobie that I can sail with or without my girlfriend being present. I've sailed the Sunfish boats to the limit and I have always wanted a cat. I'm 25 and I'm confident with my skills, again on the sunfish boats. I see the Hobie 14's are nice and affordable, but there aren't nearly as many available used as the Hobie 16's. I don't want, and can't afford, a huge boat and I'd rather stick with a 14 or 16 if I can. I've just read mixed things on the 16's pertaining to whether or not they can be sailed alone. I'd rather go with a 16 I think, simply because of availability...there are tons of used ones available, but I want to be sure it would be something I could take out by myself, since my girlfriend might not want to sail as much as me.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: keqwow] #22103
07/14/03 01:30 PM
07/14/03 01:30 PM
north alabama
turtle Offline
stranger
turtle  Offline
stranger

north alabama
Hi, I had almost no sailing experience when I bought my H-16 and am completely self-taught. I use to think the Hobie 16 could be sailed solo and my limited experience was the reason for all of my troubles. Experience has changed my opinion. I have had my boat 2 years and these are my experiences related to going it alone on this boat. I weigh 140lbs and am 5'7" Raising the mast is extremely difficult for me, especially when securing the cable which keeps the mast up. Sailing in light to medium wind is fun, unless a stronger wind appears when this boat becomes terrifying for me. It is just too fast for me to control safely in 15-20 mph of wind. Righting after a capsize is impossible for me. I have the Hawaiian righting system and I am not skilled enough to right this boat solo in heavy wind.
I am sure more advanced sailors will disagree with my comments concerning rigging and sailing solo. A more skilled sailor might do fine solo. As this post is negative I feel I should mention. I sail my H-16 almost every weekend, with someone/anyone, and sailing remains enjoyable for me. I love this boat it's fun and enjoyable when I have a crew. But without a crew member I leave this boat in the driveway. I also have no problem finding crew. Once people learn you have a sailboat they will find you.

Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: keqwow] #22104
07/14/03 06:56 PM
07/14/03 06:56 PM
Jackson, MI
TheSkier Offline
journeyman
TheSkier  Offline
journeyman

Jackson, MI
HI there,

I sail my H16 solo almost all the time and feel that I am pretty good with it. I should mention that I also weigh in at 265, so righting the boat is not a problem. The H16 is a handful to take on right away by yourself though, with both a jib and a main to set. I find it is easier to set the jib after a tack and then set the main.

Like the other person said, it does get going rather quickley in heaveir air, and good be a handful for one person to hold down.

Do you plan on trailering the boat, or keeping it in one place, and where do you live?

If you plan on trailering, there are a few options available for stepping the mast. I just use a rope tied tot the end of the forestay, wrap it around the front mast support, and then tighten it up and cleat it to one of the cleats at the bottem of the mast. this works fine for me and I just reverse it when I am done sailing.

The Skier

Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: TheSkier] #22105
07/15/03 01:46 AM
07/15/03 01:46 AM
J
Justin Offline
stranger
Justin  Offline
stranger
J

I started sailing a year ago when my gf took me out for a week of cruising on a leaner. I immediately was taken with sailing and bought a used 16 on the cheap. Over the past year I've sailed it solo a lot at the same time as I was learning the basics of sailing. It's a bit of a handful to start with solo, but once you get to know the boat it's incredible fun. I've taken it out in up to 25-30 and never had a problem (I'm 200lbs). If you have good seamanship and speed doesn't panic you it's a great boat in heavy air. If you've taken a mono dingy to the limit I think you'll be fine on a 16 and find the boat's capabilities very rewarding.

Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: TheSkier] #22106
07/15/03 12:40 PM
07/15/03 12:40 PM
Roanoke, VA
mattp Offline
journeyman
mattp  Offline
journeyman

Roanoke, VA
If you plan on trailering, there are a few options available for stepping the mast. I just use a rope tied tot the end of the forestay, wrap it around the front mast support, and then tighten it up and cleat it to one of the cleats at the bottem of the mast. this works fine for me and I just reverse it when I am done sailing.

The Skier,
Can you explain more about how you do this? Are you wrapping the rope around the "mast support" on the trailer? and then back to the base of the mast to cleat it?

(Insert Witty Signature Here) 1988 H16
Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: mattp] #22107
07/15/03 04:29 PM
07/15/03 04:29 PM
Jackson, MI
TheSkier Offline
journeyman
TheSkier  Offline
journeyman

Jackson, MI
I have an I bolt on the front of the mast support that I run the rope through and back to the tramp.

I tie one end to the forestay, route the rope through the eyebolt and then to the tramp, tighten it up a little and tie off to the cleat. I then raise the mast into place, undo the rope from the cleat, pull it tight, and then recleat it off so the rope is holding the mast up in place. I then go forward and attach the forestay to the bridle, loosen the rope, and then untie it. I then can raise the sails and go sailing.

The Skier.
1973 H16

Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: keqwow] #22108
07/16/03 12:03 AM
07/16/03 12:03 AM
D
Delphinus Offline
stranger
Delphinus  Offline
stranger
D

Hey, I have a H-16 and sail here at Lake Mead. The winds are gusty and can come up strong. I sail solo on my 16 and love it. Just take your time and learn with a crew. As you get better you will gain a lot oc confidence. I can right my 16 by myself with no problem at 225 lbs. Good luck

Don

Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: Delphinus] #22109
07/16/03 07:47 AM
07/16/03 07:47 AM
Australia
Jules_topcat Offline
Jules_topcat  Offline

Australia
Hey

I own a hobie 16 and i weigh say around 60kg and i can right my 16 and its way over weight! all you have to remember is spin the boat around so the wind lifts the sails then make sure you catch the boat!!! I sail my 16 in any thing bellow 25knots with main and jib and i love it just have your travelor off and your jib a heap off.

from Julian

Jules_topcat
Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: keqwow] #22110
07/16/03 01:58 PM
07/16/03 01:58 PM
C
CrashedAgain Offline
stranger
CrashedAgain  Offline
stranger
C

I have a 14 & wish I had a 16. Reason is that a 14 is really to small for more than one person. I'm 200 lbs & that's a full load for the boat so if you plan on sailing with your GF (or someone else), I think you would be better off with the 16. You CAN sail a 16 solo, but sailing an overloaded boat is like wearing clothes that are too small.

Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: keqwow] #22111
07/16/03 02:51 PM
07/16/03 02:51 PM
Washington State
NW_Tom Offline
stranger
NW_Tom  Offline
stranger

Washington State
After 35 years of sailing very small monohulls, I bought a 1985 H16 a month ago. It does feel like a handful when I'm sailing solo and the wind kicks up! Like you, I feel a bit overwhelmed...but what a blast this little beasty is to sail!

I plan on buying a righting bag because solo righting a capsized H16 is difficult for me. When the wind is strong I sail w/o the jib and have twice reefed the main. I have a feeling as I gain confidence the reef will come out and the jib will stay up!

For what it's worth, when it has become a bit too much to handle, I slip the main to "feather" the sail. It may be tough on the mainsail, but it effectively slows the boat to a crawl, letting me catch my breath and maybe wait for a less gusty patch of wind.

Last edited by NW_Tom; 07/16/03 02:53 PM.
Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: keqwow] #22112
07/20/03 11:05 AM
07/20/03 11:05 AM
Seattle, WA,
carumba_16 Offline
stranger
carumba_16  Offline
stranger

Seattle, WA,
Of course you can sail a 16 solo, as many of these posting show. I had a 14 as a kid and while I love that boat for its elegance and simplicity, a 16 is a better bet if you will carry passengers at some point. Here are a few cautions I observe that might help you.

I'm 185 lbs and so I'm extremely careful about not tipping over. I fly a hull, but not as high or as long as when I was in my teens.

I suggest you start out with light to medium winds - under 10 knots - and then work up to higher winds as your skill increases. To keep things under control in high winds, I stay close hauled (about 45 degrees to the wind) and just let the traveler out a bit to spill some air. It's painful to watch that mainsail luff near the mast, but at least I'm not going swimming.

There are two hairy situations to watch out for: first, pitchpoling. If you're going downwind or on a reach, the wind will tend to drive the leeward hull bow under the water. You don't want that. Stay far back on the windward corner of the tramp, even trap out, to keep that hull up. Or just don't sail that tack. I tend to just stay close-hauled.

The other danger is getting flipped by gusts. If you're flying a hull in a steady wind, fine. But if it's gusty, you run the risk of having a gust come along and upset the delicate balance that keeps you suspended in the air. Often, the wind will catch the underside of the tramp, so even if you sheet out and head upwind to kill the gust, it's too late. You're going over! Again, my solution is to travel out, spill some wind and - this is the crucial part - keep that windward hull pretty low. I don't fly as high as I used to, unless the weather is really hot and I FEEL like going swimming. As a consolation for flying low, remember: the boat tends to be fastest with the windward hull just touching the water anyway.

Hope this helps!

Al
H16 Seattle

Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: carumba_16] #22113
07/27/03 01:24 PM
07/27/03 01:24 PM
Washington State
NW_Tom Offline
stranger
NW_Tom  Offline
stranger

Washington State
So how many folks who sail solo (H16) also carry a righting system? I haven't dumped the boat yet, but had the hull up high yesterday, learning to balance the boat in a steady wind. But where I sail is often gusty, so it isn't a question of if I'll go swimming, it is only a matter of when.

Tom

Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: NW_Tom] #22114
07/27/03 03:25 PM
07/27/03 03:25 PM
Jackson, MI
TheSkier Offline
journeyman
TheSkier  Offline
journeyman

Jackson, MI
So how many folks who sail solo (H16) also carry a righting system? I haven't dumped the boat yet, but had the hull up high yesterday, learning to balance the boat in a steady wind. But where I sail is often gusty, so it isn't a question of if I'll go swimming, it is only a matter of when.

Tom,

I just use the bungy system that wraps around the pylons of the tramp frame to right my boat, and it works fine.

The Skier
1973 H16

Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: TheSkier] #22115
07/30/03 12:42 PM
07/30/03 12:42 PM
Bradenton, FL
Sycho15 Offline
addict
Sycho15  Offline
addict

Bradenton, FL
My first boat was a Hobie 16. I learned how to sail on that boat. I was 15 years old and 135#s and I could yank it off the trailer, raise the mast, drag it to the water's edge, and go sailing- all by myself.

Raising the mast is no big deal if you have two arms and two legs. Face the boat downhill if possible, hook the mast to the mast-step and put the bearing in place. Stand at the rear of the trampoline and lift the mast up over your head, then walk the mast forwards and up. Since the boat is leaning downhill the mast is also leaning downhill, against the sidestays. While you're leaning against the mast, untie the forestay. Then walk it to the bridle, being careful not to rock the boat.
The other method mentioned above is also excellent and is a must if you are raising the mast on level ground. Run the main halyard through the forestay bridle and leave the bitter end on the trampoline. When you've raised the mast, take all the slack out of this line and cleat it off securely. Then untie the forestay and attach it to the bridle. Uncleat the main halyard and pull up your sails.

On sailing the H16 solo: On a boat that can be sailed unirig with two reefs in the mainsail, what are you worried about? I once sailed my H16 with one reef and no jib in a very stiff breeze and felt underpowered. Actually, I was downright bored. If you don't have to be on the trapeze to keep both hulls in the water you don't need to reduce sail area. About the time your sailing a reach with the main and jib traveled all the way out and your butt out on the trapeze is the only thing keeping that boat level... then you should think about dousing the jib. But in those conditions it'll probably be easier to reef the main than dance on the bows anyhow, and keeping the jib up just makes tacking so much easier.
The cardinal rule of soloing a H16 is pretty simple. If you're not sailing off a sandy lee shore, don't capsize. Don't fly the hull more than a foot out of the water, pay attention to the wind and the waves, and sail conservatively. On a day when you are sailing off a sandy lee shore and there are no currents waiting to carry you out to sea, get about 100 yards out and capsize the boat and have a go at righting it. If you can't, no big deal, drift to the beach and right it there.

If your girlfriend doesn't want to go sailing with you, pick up someone (preferably a good-looking female who likes boats because of the opportunity to sunbathe topless) who can play the role of intelligent ballast (and eye-candy) for the day. Get phone-numbers and make a list of potential crew.

It took me all of 9 months to outgrow my H16, so when I 16 years old I bought a G-Cat 5.7M (18'8" long with a 28' mast and dual trampolines). I still spent most of my time sailing solo, and I could still raise the mast and (using Cat-Trax because G-Cats don't drag worth a damn) move the boat to the water's edge alone. I'm 22 years old an 145#s now and I still have that boat. I still sail it solo and I just don't push it near capsize unless I'm off a sandy lee shore. Actually, it's been 2.5 years since I've capsize this boat while soloing, and that's not to say I haven't come close any number of times. I'm looking at adding a righting pole so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

G-Cat 5.7M #583 (sail # currently 100) in Bradenton, FL Hobie 14T
Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: Sycho15] #22116
08/02/03 12:29 PM
08/02/03 12:29 PM
Buzzard Island
garym Offline
garym  Offline

Buzzard Island
Just wanted to second everything Sycho15 said. I started out in the 60s on very small monos, but switched to the H16 in '82. (Had a 14 as a second boat for a while, and it was a spankin great boat in real heavy air, but a dog in light air.) The 16 is the most versatile cat I've found--Every time I start thinking about buying a different boat I weigh the pros and cons: bulletproof construction, deepest one-design competition, THE BEST beach/surf/big wave boat, and very solo-friendly but still fast with 2-3 adults in a fresh wind. Going it alone in a good breeze can be pretty intimidating at first, but just stick it out and the boat will tell you just what it wants. Skippering a Hobie Cat well in heavy air is definitely one of the sweetest experiences life has to offer, as far as I'm concerned!

Gary Montcalm Shreveport Yacht Club Hobie 16 #548
Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: garym] #22117
08/04/03 10:33 PM
08/04/03 10:33 PM
Australia
Jules_topcat Offline
Jules_topcat  Offline

Australia
all i have to say is im 17 and i weigh 65kg and i tipped my hobie 16 over when i was one up (first and last time ever) and well its not how much weight you have its how you bring it up that matters!!! right wind angle and the wind hits the sails and all you do is catch the boat as it trys to go back!!
Cheers all
Julian

Jules_topcat
Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: NW_Tom] #22118
08/08/03 05:44 PM
08/08/03 05:44 PM
San Diego, Ca
Brent_Hendricks Offline
stranger
Brent_Hendricks  Offline
stranger

San Diego, Ca
I have sailed on a Hobie 16 with my dad since I was 8. I am now 28, and take it out all the time single handed. I can even sail it by myself off the trap.

I have never had problems getting help at the launch ramp raising or lowering the mast. I just how my lucky victim how to put the clevis pin through the forestay eye and shackle, and I'm the one raising the mast. One thing that makes it easier. If the prep area is on an inclined surface, park the car so the bow of the cat is pointed DOWNHILL, or take the tounge off the hitch and chock the rear wheels. This will make it so gravity will hold the mast forward and make things a bit easier.

2 points.

1) Make sure you have good hiking straps on the tramp, this will help in lighter wind sailing.

2) Check and double check your trapeeze lines BEFORE leaving the ramp. I forgot once, and was screaming across the bay on the hiking straps, and finnaly got the boat positioned so I could really sheet in and take the entire bay in one tack. Great time to get out on the trap I thought. I hooked up, got out over the side, really sheeted in, I blew by a father and son on their 16, and the son was commenting to his dad how good I was, when the line attaching the dogbone to the trap wire BROKE. and went for a swim.

I got my head out of the water just in time to see my cat gracefully flying a hull with no one on it, past me, managed to grab the tiller extension that had swung back as it was saining past me, and keep with the boat. The only bad part was until I got closer, I kept pulling the boat down wind.

Have fun, and Have a Hobie Day

Brent P. Hendricks telnet://ratsdenbbs.dyndns.org
Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: keqwow] #22119
08/17/03 08:06 PM
08/17/03 08:06 PM
timmosazz Offline
stranger
timmosazz  Offline
stranger

I say go for it!I have been sailing my 16 solo for about 1 year and now it is what I prefer. It can get a little crazy some times, but I think that is why you want to go to a catamarin with your weight I would recomend buying a righting bag to help you right the boat. But that is it. Just rember you are the one in controll, you don't have to raise the main all the way you don't have to go out with the jib. take it easy at first but you will be amazed at how fast you and the boat will become friends and you won't want to sail a mono hull again.

1975 h16
Re: Hobie 14's and 16's and sailing alone [Re: timmosazz] #22120
08/20/03 01:20 AM
08/20/03 01:20 AM
T
tx246 Offline
journeyman
tx246  Offline
journeyman
T

the hobie 16 = versatility. i sail solo most of the time but can handle 4 if need be. the 16 has a very high load capacity. 800lbs is the specification i believe and ive had it loaded to that and a bit more. you can never have enough sail area. if the wind is too much, take some of that sail area away. reefing helped me alot when i was starting out. the only thing i do not like about cats is the setup time vs. a small monohull. i used to have a dolphin sr mono 13ft and i could be in the water and gone in less than 5 min. solo rigging, i have gotten it down to about 25 min. either way, if i take the cat out, i have to be there awhile to make it worth the effort. there are times that i dont go sailing because of the longer rig time. that is the only drawback that i can think of. righting a capsized cat can be difficult for a begginer. it will happen just dont panic. on the lakes i sail, i never get a chance to right it by myself. there is always a boat/pwc that rushes over and offers to pull it back on its feet.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 681 guests, and 108 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022