01/17/12 02:26 AM
Lake Bonney, SA
dkd Offline OP
enthusiast
dkd  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lake Bonney, SA
All,

As I mentioned at the AGM, please can you send me some notes on the nationals, articles are better as they give me somewhere to start from but I am looking to get an article done whilst it is still fresh in everyone's memory.

Any incidents of mention are also welcome, be they good bad or just amusing.

I am hoping to get the CD of photos from Evan so I hope that side of it is covered.

Thanks and look forward to many submissions.

David, National Secretary
Salpicon de Resplandor

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: 2012 Nationals [Re: dkd] #242604
01/19/12 07:20 AM
01/19/12 07:20 AM
Melb. Aust
Trevor Offline
enthusiast
Trevor  Offline
enthusiast

Melb. Aust
Hi Dave,

The Rivoli Bay SC Facebook page has a nice little write up of our Nationals. Just went up today.

Mozzie 1828
' '
Sugarloaf Sailing Club
Melbourne
Re: 2012 Nationals [Re: dkd] #242763
01/21/12 01:36 AM
01/21/12 01:36 AM
Lake Bonney, SA
dkd Offline OP
enthusiast
dkd  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lake Bonney, SA
Thanks Trevor,

but I am one of those who does not use facebook, yep we are out there.

Come on guys, please the article is for the classes benefit.

Thanks, David

Re: 2012 Nationals [Re: dkd] #242822
01/23/12 02:51 AM
01/23/12 02:51 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Hi David,

I too do not use facebook (it is currently clogging our court system), can somebody copy any articles here.
Am planning to get some memories from Nats down on computer, just seem to be struggling for time lately. Will post here when I have something.

Re: 2012 Nationals [Re: dkd] #243398
02/02/12 07:57 AM
02/02/12 07:57 AM
Mt Gamiber, SA
E
Evan S Offline
stranger
Evan S  Offline
stranger
E

Mt Gamiber, SA
When I get a chance I will copy and paste the article from our FB page to here. Yes I know the downside of FB but it's easy and free for the club to get out there and surprising how many followers.
I have been lucky somebody from Adelaide was down last weekend and I have sent 15 DVD's that way so everyone in Adelaide should get a hold of Simon for their copy.
I have one address for somebody in Vic but that's it. If you want a copy and you attended the Nats then send me your address please. I would rather bulk post them if you have a couple of people in one area would be appreciated.
Regards
Evan
evan.marga@internode.on.net

Taipan 4.9 Sloop
Serenity 233
Rivoli Bay S.C.
Sth. Australia
Re: 2012 Nationals [Re: dkd] #243492
02/03/12 04:17 PM
02/03/12 04:17 PM
M
Matthew Dawson Offline
journeyman
Matthew Dawson  Offline
journeyman
M

Rivoli Bay Sailing Club
MOSQUITO CATAMARAN NATIONAL CHAMPIONS WIN AGAIN

The 40th National Mosquito Catamaran titles were won by last years National Champions, Gary Maskiell (MkI) and Warwick Kemp with Tomas Norman (MkII), which were held recently in Southend hosted by Rivoli Bay Sailing Club.

The Mosquito fleet started arriving in Southend on Thursday and continued to arrive until Sunday with many of them enjoying the hospitality of the Rivoli Bay Sailing Club by joining them for the previous night’s New Years Eve celebrations. Thirty-one Mosquito catamarans entered the national competition with sailors, crew and families travelling from across Victoria and South Australia.
Since the Mosquito’s first national titles held in Darwin in 1960, the sixteen foot catamaran has gone on to become a true Australian sailing icon. The overall design has remained virtually unchanged since its inception, but its relatively low cost, lightweight platform and efficient rig continue to be a successful and competitive combination. The Mosquito sailing boat is known as “The Racing Catamaran”.
The national titles were held over five days with 11 races in total sailed. Monday afternoon’s invitation race was cancelled due to strong northerly winds of 40 knots. The weather forecast for the rest of the week promised to be sailing heaven. The Rivoli Bay Sailing Club welcomed the Mosquito’s to the turquoise waters of Rivoli Bay by hosting a BBQ on Monday night.

Tuesday the Mosquito fleet hit the water eagerly looking forward to the consistent breeze that they had been promised however race one started with a variable 5 to 10 knot northerly breeze. In the cat rigged division (MkI) David Dunk & Jamie Broekers (Salpicon De Resplendor) showed the fleet a clean pair of heals on the first upwind leg. Mitch Meade (Catalyst), Nick Baglioni (Bite Me) and Daniel Stone (Kryptonite) were eagerly closing the gap. Gary Maskeill (Thrice Bitten) rounded the top mark first after the next upwind leg. Bob Wilson (Voodoo) had him within his sights with Meade and Baglioni taking their rivalry to the course in style. Results for the MkI after the scorers had their way with the black marker, gave Matt Stone (Unko) the big one with a 50 second gap to Ben Clark (Chicken Skin). In the sloop-rigged division (MkII) the slow conditions didn’t help the heavier weighted boats but the competition was none of the less fierce. First through the fleet was Warwick Kemp & Tomas Norman (Atreus). Simon Hallsworth & Sarah Martin (The Young Mariner) gave them a fair bit of daylight but Neil and David Joiner (Immunity) were just starting to warm up for the series.

Race two saw MkI’s Stone standing out as the sailor to beat for the series with just under a minute to spare from Clark. In the MkII’s the final result came down to one second between first and second place. With the gods definitely in their favour, Kemp and Norman just snuck over the line in front of Joiners.

Race three brought increasing wind shifts which left the whole fleet sailing in circles waiting patiently for the Race Officer to finish his prayer’s to the wind gods. Unfortunately these were dutifully unanswered and finally after much teeth gnashing and perspiration by the Race Officer on the Committee boat it was decided to cancel the race. With two races down and two wins Matt Stone (MkI) and Warwick Kemp & Tomas Norman (MkII) were going to be hard to beat.

In the fourth and fifth race on Wednesday morning there was a fresh breeze that created a huge challenge for boats to cross the start/finish line position half way between the top and bottom marks. This presented a tactical situation where gains or losses were to be had and wind shifts would bring the no go line into play. Finding the conditions to their liking Maskiell, Wilson and Stone forged ahead giving Maskiell four bullets with Wilson and Stone achieving two seconds and two thirds. Kemp & Norman continued to dominate while the Joiner’s and Hallsworth & Martin shared two seconds and thirds. Sixth race in the afternoon brought a stronger breeze that was considered on the upper limit, which proved a gruelling race for all boats.

With a reserve day on Thursday the Rivoli Bay Sailing Club organised a wine tour hosted by Ken Bierwirth of Wynn’s Wines, Coonawarra. With smiles all round after the wine tour the sailing fleet were provided with a curry dinner followed by a Quiz night to challenge the Einstein’s of the Mosquito fleet. There was as much competiveness during the quiz as there was on the water with winners rewarded with money and prizes.

On Friday continual wind shifts provided good wind for trapezing and in race seven Wilson had his boat channeling the wind shifts to be successful in the MkI’s. Stone was keeping Wilson honest by staying right with him and crossed the line only 17 seconds behind followed by Maskiell. In the Mkii’s Kemp & Norman flew past the rest of the fleet in their own personal biosphere of breeze. Second place went to Trevor Armstrong & Jake Sheffield (Just A Toy) followed closely by Peter Dunk & Kirsten Thomas (Natural Progression).

Race eight was sewn up in the MkI’s with Maskiell giving the rest of the fleet a view of what his transom looked like. The Stone brothers were in hot pursuit but not enough to beat Maskiell. Perhaps the Stone brothers should have worn their new purple and green lycra suits on the water to streamline their performance. At the first bottom mark half of the fleet elected to sail leeward while the other half sailed windward to avoid the dreaded start/finish line. Unfortunately sailing leeward only worked for some of the fleet due to the wind shifts. Down the fleet there were some great tussles for minor placing’s. Meade and Baglioni had something to brag about at the end of the race. In the MkII’s Kemp and Norman did not put a foot wrong gaining third placing which moved them closer to another Championship. The Joiner boys finally got to see the view from the top podium followed by Hallsworth and Martin who pushed the top two, showing the fleet a clean pair of heals to the top mark, cementing them the top three spot in the overall placing’s.

In race nine, Stone finally thought he’d found Maskiell’s weakness when he lead him to the top mark and with only 12 seconds between them at the end it seemed that might not be far from the truth. It was almost a carbon copy of the previous race with Baglioni taking third. In the MkII’s, the Joiners took the win from Kemp & Norman followed by Hallsworth & Martin.

During the day there were a couple of occurrences that sailors would rather forget. Nosedive of the day went to Armstrong & Sheffield when they caught some air in front of Simon Bone (Phat Cat) near the top mark. Not to be outdone, David & Holly Heynemann (EpiMagic) spent some time coat hangered from the bridle. Some intervening supernatural force stepped up to keep their stick pointing the right way up.
Saturday morning delivered a blustery breeze for the commencement of the final race of the series. After the first lap of trapezing some light air and gusts trapped the unwary including Rob Gilchrist (Hagar) who capsized within sight of the finish. Maskiell did not need to race having won the series but won the last race anyway with Wilson placed second and Meade taking third. Maskiell had the series in the bag but the last race decided placings for second to fourth. In the MkII’s Joiners won the race to make it three wins in a row. Kemp & Norman did not need to compete and so were spectators. Dunk & Thomas and Hallsworth & Martin took out second and third respectively.

After the final race on Saturday morning some tired but very happy catamaran sailors retired to the sailing club to relive their week of trials and tribulations on and off the water. On Saturday evening the Rivoli Bay Sailing Club and volunteers organized a presentation dinner at Lynnies to present the outright winners and other award winners of the 40th Mosquito Catamaran Nationals for 2012.

Outright winners
MkI
1st Gary Maskiell (Thrice Bitten)
2nd Bob Wilson (Voodoo)
3rd Daniel Stone (Kryptonite)

MkII
1st Warwick Kemp & Tomas Norman (Atreus)
2nd Neil & David Joiner (Immunity)
3rd Simon Hallsworth & Sarah Martin (The Young Mariner)

MkII Handicap
1st David Heynemann (Epimagic)

Other Awards
Best placed female - Sarah Martin (The Young Mariner)
Junior skipper – Mitch Meade (Catalyst)
Veteran skipper – Philip Warren-Smith (More than a Splash)
Spirit of the Nationals – Sue Westgarth & Brad Mann (Rivoli Bay Sailing Club)
Best-presented boat – Peter Nikitin (Bee Alert)
Best-placed wooden boat – Phillip Pearce (Aldebaran V)
State teams award – Victoria

Currently between boats
Previously …
Cobra 570
Cobra 581
Mosquito 126
Arafura Cadet 738
Re: 2012 Nationals [Re: dkd] #243519
02/04/12 01:34 AM
02/04/12 01:34 AM
Lake Bonney, SA
dkd Offline OP
enthusiast
dkd  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lake Bonney, SA

Thanks MRD for the article and it gives me good starting point, guys, need more please, and then can blend all of it including photos for 4-6 pages,.

Remember we cannot buy this advertising so please help.

Evan, I will try to get a copy of DVD from Simon, thanks

David (Nat Sec)
Salpicon de Resplandor, 1744

Re: 2012 Nationals [Re: dkd] #244834
02/27/12 05:51 AM
02/27/12 05:51 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Hi David, here's my recollections.

40th Mosquito National Titles from the pointy end of the Mk1 fleet.

It was a trouble free 8hr drive from Eastern Victoria with “Thrice Bitten” and “Catalyst” double decked in tow, to the pristine waters of the Limestone Coast, South Australia. On arrival we where greeted by the friendly members of Rivoli Bay Sailing Club our hosts for the week and what hosts they where, nothing was too much trouble, the entire Mossie fleet was treated to real country hospitality all week.

After measurement day, came the anticlimax of a blown out invitation race, so much for getting a look at the course before the serious stuff starts. Tuesday dawned with light winds, finally it was time to race. Heat 1 and it wasn't long before the usual suspects “Voodoo” (Bob Wilson), “Unko” (Matt Stone) and “Thrice Bitten” (yours truly) where battling for the lead, as luck would have it the wind shifted and turned the next beat into a one tack affair, with the start/finish line a no go zone in the straight line between bottom and top mark. Matt planned early and sailed high immediately after the leeward mark, while Bob went for speed apparently not realising the line was in the way, I realised too late to point around the line so kept sailing fast with Bob, intending to tack away, however as the camera proved I left the tack too late and recorded a DNF for the race along with Bob and more. Matt went on to win this and Heat 2, sailed in similar light winds a very good start to the series, with myself and Bob finishing second and third respectively over the line, but this time the race counted. After finishing the first day with two second places over the line, in light winds (a good result I thought) I learned of the DNF result, it was a great disappointment, I went to bed that night determined to make the next day count.

Wednesday dawned with more wind and a bit of chop, I was pumped up to get this series going my way. In the 2 morning races, I battled with Daniel Stone (Kryptonite), Bob, Matt, Mitch Meade (Catalyst) and more but managed to hit the front at the right time in the moderate winds, winning heat 3 by 10 seconds from Daniel with Bob another 12 seconds behind. Heat 4 finished in the same order, with Daniel only 7 seconds behind with Bob another 14 seconds back. In the afternoon the wind built and so did the chop and Bob started to find his old form, leading for a large parts of the races. Heat 5, I was just behind Bob at the last mark and in desperation threw in a couple of tacks to the line, Bob tacked with me and I managed to make them good tacks and crossed the line 1 second ahead of Bob, with Daniel another 4 seconds behind. Heat 6 went much the same except I was ahead at the last mark and Bob put in the tacks, however Bobs tacks where no better than mine and I stayed ahead, to win by 9 seconds from Bob with Daniel another 46 seconds behind. If you had told me the night before that in a days time we would have enough races for a series and with a drop I would have 4 firsts and a second, I would never have believed you, what a turn around, what a day, closest racing ever?

Thursday was a lay day, doing nothing was the order of the day for me, while some enjoyed a Wine tour and for the more active (the young and young at heart) the full on action of Paintball, boasting rights from this activity revolved around who had the most bruises and drew blood, from close hits.

Friday dawned with light offshore winds, with stronger gusts appearing and disappearing just as quickly, the sort of conditions you would expect lake sailing. Heat 7 trapezing was possible on and off and the lead changed regularly, I managed to stay in the first few boats all race, but Bob came from back in the pack to win by 20 seconds, from Daniel with me another 16 seconds back. After lunch the wind had shifted south and built in strength to full trapezing conditions, with smooth water and small swell, perfect Mossie conditions! Heat 8 was full of screaming reaches and spray, I managed my biggest winning margin in the stronger winds, 58 seconds (still less than a minute) to Daniel, with Matt another 44 seconds behind for third. Heat 9 the wind built to near 20 kts and it was back to real close racing, with Daniel and I going hard at it from the gun, he was a little quicker upwind, pointing higher and achieving a better vmg, while I was faster on the tight reaches. At the top mark for the last time I turned just ahead and gave my all on the tight reach, breaking away by a few boat lengths, only to have Daniel come up close behind again on the second broader reach, but I held Daniel off on the short beat to the finish to win by 15 seconds, with Nick Baglioni (Bite Me) having a blinder and placing third. What fantastic racing, I had now sewn up the series with no need to sail the next day, I slept well that night.

Saturday dawned with light winds, that stayed that way. I didn't need to sail but still felt I had a point to prove in light winds, so headed out for the finally, no trapezing. I started well fighting with Bob for the lead and gradually broke away, after a while Bob became more interested in those behind him and consolidating his position overall, which allowed me to clear out for a easy win, 1minute 13 seconds ahead of Bob in second, with Mitch 21 seconds behind in third. A great finish to a even better regatta, now I could drop a 3rd place and finish with 7 wins and a second, a almost perfect score, hard to believe that was the outcome of the closest racing I can remember. Amazing!

Re: 2012 Nationals [Re: dkd] #244906
02/28/12 06:56 PM
02/28/12 06:56 PM
Lake Bonney, SA
dkd Offline OP
enthusiast
dkd  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lake Bonney, SA
Thanks guys,

I now have several versions from people so will start to blend them all into one article. My thanks to all who put words down, and now home will get this done.

Also now have photos so we will see how it evolves.

Thanks again

David
Salpicon de Resplandor, 1744

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 431 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022