05/10/12 10:34 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

JC made the only relevant point.... The race will die unless the OA gets the priorities right..... eg it's a race first... then a party.

To say a regatta will die because the OA won't police handicap infractions is bogus! Handicap racing has been around forever and the nonsense that goes along with it has too. It's also impossible for the OA to police what someone submits on their registration and it's up the the competitors to file a protest if there is an infraction. I'm actually surprised you took this position Mark.

FYI, With SCHRS.... every owner would have been the one to declare the bits. measure the bits, run the calculator and get the rating.

Same as with DPN, you are still expected to claim your mods. The chink in the armor with a measurement based system is it's just not likely that the twice a year frankenboat racer is going to go to the bother of getting a cert. DPN makes it very easy for this type a participant to play and play legally. So you need to choose, purify the water and shrink the pool or live with it being a bit tainted with the hopes that frankenboat sailors will catch the bug and join a formula, OD or box rule class.

Handicap racing IS about the party. If the party sucks why would you handicap race at all? Everyone knows if you want to have a real race you do it straight up! The Rudder Club gets it, again Kudos to the Rudder Club!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248076
05/10/12 10:36 AM
05/10/12 10:36 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
You guys are pretty lame talking about a competitor cheating and not having the balls to challenge him.... IMO...

What can I say...

We don't have a qualified "****" among us to file a protest and look like the sore loser.

Like ... you.

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: David Ingram] #248079
05/10/12 11:04 AM
05/10/12 11:04 AM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by David Ingram

Handicap racing IS about the party. If the party sucks why would you handicap race at all? Everyone knows if you want to have a real race you do it straight up! The Rudder Club is gets it, again Kudos to the Rudder Club!

Ding is right...as usual. sleep

The Mug Race is a lot more than a bunch of Catsailors whining about winning.

(Not that we shouldn't do what we can to encourage fair reporting and challenge those who abuse the system...thanks to JC for getting that started).

Most folks haven't a chance and many never finish within the time limit.

Still, they come back every year. 4 out of 5 years it is a tedious slog in conditions most of us would not attempt otherwise.

The Crap Shoot is finding pressure and not sailing through it into a Black Hole.

Your handicap is just the first card in your hand. You squander that away many times during the day, often to gain it back double with a lucky choice.

Who would do this without the fellowship and camaraderie?

My ride of choice this year put me square in the middle of the folks who make this race happen. The slower pace actually was quite invigorating. Lots of position swaps and close racing goin' on in there with so many different boat configurations.

The Mug Race will be 60 years old next year. If none of us showed up, we would hardly be missed. laugh

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: David Ingram] #248080
05/10/12 11:13 AM
05/10/12 11:13 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD

Originally Posted By: Mark Schneider

JC made the only relevant point.... The race will die unless the OA gets the priorities right..... eg it's a race first... then a party.

To say a regatta will die because the OA won't police handicap infractions is bogus! Handicap racing has been around forever and the nonsense that goes along with it has too. It's also impossible for the OA to police what someone submits on their registration and it's up the the competitors to file a protest if there is an infraction. I'm actually surprised you took this position Mark

Not what I want to say.. The OA should pay attention to the racing by just changing to a workable and fair handicap system. ... This is just an issue of integrity. Use a workable system... not one that has been failing over time.

You can't piss on the sailors for "cheating" when they really are not... the OA should lead... not follow.... change the system.

I am not saying the OA should enforce handicap or One design compliance....I have second thoughts on the OA enforcing the safety requirements. Its the sailors responsibility for all of this. Not the point I want to make.

You are always hung up on the certification issue. The twice a year sailor with a beater one design boat.... is covered.

the twice a year sailor who has spent the time on creating his frankenboat is HIGHLY motivated to see how the thing does.
They will be follow the rules... measure their franken equipment and run the calculator and get a rating. They will be more worried about getting the measurements and ratings correct then trying to cheat. No certificate is needed...

If you think he is cheating... protest him... (just like PN)... if you think he made an interpretation error... talk to him.

When you are required to use a bull $#it tool (portsmouth has failed over time)... and all you get is grief about it... Of course that is no fun.

Dave... the guy who builds the frankenboat for this race is simply not going to buy a Nacra 17.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Mark Schneider] #248081
05/10/12 11:42 AM
05/10/12 11:42 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Here again is where you and I disagree. By definition (in my opinion) handicap racing regardless of the system used is flawed and unfair in one way or another to someone and there is simply no way around this very glaring truth. Didn't Carnac use a measurement based system?

You also said the "serious" frankenboat sailor would make sure their cert was up to date and accurate, which doesn't really apply here either. The teams in question in this thread are being accused of cheating (not claiming the mods that apply to their rig) and a measurement system aint going to fix that.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Mark Schneider] #248083
05/10/12 11:45 AM
05/10/12 11:45 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina

Mark before you jump in here and start beating the drum about switching to a measurement based system please note that nobody has made the effort to file a protest and this has been going on for years! This clearly points out that we have the time to bitch about something but don't have the time or the desire to do something about it.

Got it...

You guys are pretty lame talking about a competitor cheating and not having the balls to challenge him.... IMO... if anyone gets flicked... it should be the wankers who whine but don't do anything.

FYI, With SCHRS.... every owner would have been the one to declare the bits. measure the bits, run the calculator and get the rating.

He can get someone else to man the smart end of the ruler... or even a completely independent team to measure the bits and sign their name.

Everything I have quickly read so far... may not be "fair" but it certainly was legal under Portsmouth.... That is the problem with portsmouth.

I think with the looseness of the portsmouth rating for that boat, the protest might be difficult to win unless there was some other information that the Portsmouth committee could provide showing how they arrived and how they constrained that number. It is what it is.

Jake Kohl
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248084
05/10/12 11:47 AM
05/10/12 11:47 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
"Don't hate the Playa, hate the game!"

Portsmouth sucks...but if you want to play, well, you know the rules are weak when it comes to 'modified sail plans'. How would you like to be one of those poor monohulls who have to start at 7am, with zero wind, and then try to finish, as all the late starting cats go blowing by you when the breeze finally shows?

Go for the Party, but they should just hand the RC 30 the trophy on Friday night.

Personally, I HATE light air sailing. I only got into cats to GO FAST(er) than monohulls! Having done this light air drifter 3 times, I swore I'd never go back, the logistics are a PITA, as is the long drive home with a hangover, but since next year is the 60th...well...maybe.

Depends on the weather forcast.

Blade F16
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248087
05/10/12 11:57 AM
05/10/12 11:57 AM
Palm Harbor, FL
daniel_t Offline
enthusiast
daniel_t  Offline
enthusiast

Palm Harbor, FL
I have heard complaints about portsmouth and frankenboats in the local clubs in my area as well. I've been tossing an idea around in my head but I have never mentioned it before now...

What if the skipper was rated instead of the boat? It would be a portsmouth style system where a skipper's (rather than the boat's) rating would adjust after every regatta. With such a system, you would win races more based on how much you (or your boat) has improved.

In the particular case being discussed here, the skipper's (Dave's?) rating would progressively decrease every time he won the regatta. In order to keep winning, he would need to either improve his boat each year, or become a better sailor.

Gaming such a system would require the skipper to intentionally loose regattas to keep his rating high. Somehow I don't think that would be much of a problem!

Daniel T.
Taipan F16 - USA 213
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Timbo] #248089
05/10/12 12:03 PM
05/10/12 12:03 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by Timbo
since next year is the 60th...well...maybe.

We are due for a windy year Tim. We missed by two days this year...it blew nicely all day Thursday.

Jack Woehrle
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Jake] #248090
05/10/12 12:11 PM
05/10/12 12:11 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
You also said the "serious" frankenboat sailor would make sure their cert was up to date and accurate, which doesn't really apply here either. The teams in question in this thread are being accused of cheating (not claiming the mods that apply to their rig) and a measurement system aint going to fix that.

Carlson ran a Catnip rating with carbon rudders, daggers, A-cat carbon mast and spin, only taking a hit for the spin. That's not very sportsman I think. That is a call-out to the polka-dot.

Translation.... Catnip.... Old heavy A class that Dave has modified... LEGAL
Carbon Rudders... LEGAL (not regulated in Portsmouth)
A-cat carbon mast.... A catnip is an A Cat.... Length and type of mast... not an issue for A cats... LEGAL

spin, only taking a hit for the spin LEGAL

All of that is LEGAL

Now... the problem is that the last time a catnip raced in a legit portsmouth race may be 15 years ago. Do you think the A cat rating from 15 years ago was... is "accurate".... The Portsmouth system has FAILED.

Calling Dave Carlson Unsportsmanlike or "cheating".... Ignorant at best!

By definition (in my opinion) handicap racing regardless of the system used is flawed and unfair in one way or another to someone and there is simply no way around this very glaring truth. Didn't Carnac use a measurement based system?

Flawed and unfair....

Flawed.... what do you mean?
The rating table is not accurate? the rating table is not precise enough? the rating table was generated using bogus data? the rating formula uses the wrong constants?

Unfair.... again... what do you mean?

Look.... if two IDENTICAL ONE DESIGN BOATS finish a race overlapped... guess what... the most perfect and the fairest handicap system in the world would still score the two boats as TIED.

If what you want to say is that handicap racing is not as precise as the One design racing.... TRUE.... and .... so what?

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 05/10/12 12:11 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: daniel_t] #248091
05/10/12 12:14 PM
05/10/12 12:14 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by daniel_t
I have heard complaints about portsmouth and frankenboats in the local clubs in my area as well. I've been tossing an idea around in my head but I have never mentioned it before now...

What if the skipper was rated instead of the boat? It would be a portsmouth style system where a skipper's (rather than the boat's) rating would adjust after every regatta. With such a system, you would win races more based on how much you (or your boat) has improved.

In the particular case being discussed here, the skipper's (Dave's?) rating would progressively decrease every time he won the regatta. In order to keep winning, he would need to either improve his boat each year, or become a better sailor.

Gaming such a system would require the skipper to intentionally loose regattas to keep his rating high. Somehow I don't think that would be much of a problem!

Have you ever played in a after work golf league that uses this system? Yeah... people will sandbag.

This system might be fun for a local club event but having grown up sailing PHRF which essentially rates the skipper/team it starts to suck out load real quick. PHRF is the devil!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Mark Schneider] #248092
05/10/12 12:27 PM
05/10/12 12:27 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA

Carlson ran a Catnip rating with carbon rudders, daggers, A-cat carbon mast and spin, only taking a hit for the spin. That's not very sportsman I think. That is a call-out to the polka-dot.

A-cat carbon mast.... A catnip is an A Cat.... Length and type of mast... not an issue for A cats... LEGAL

All of that is LEGAL

Now... the problem is that the last time a catnip raced in a legit portsmouth race may be 15 years ago. Do you think the A cat rating from 15 years ago was... is "accurate".... The Portsmouth system has FAILED.

By definition (in my opinion) handicap racing regardless of the system used is flawed and unfair in one way or another to someone and there is simply no way around this very glaring truth. Didn't Carnac use a measurement based system?

Flawed and unfair....

The rating table is not accurate? the rating table is not precise enough? the rating table was generated using bogus data? the rating formula uses the wrong constants?

Look.... if two IDENTICAL ONE DESIGN BOATS finish a race overlapped... guess what... the most perfect and the fairest handicap system in the world would still score the two boats as TIED.

If what you want to say is that handicap racing is not as precise as the One design racing.... TRUE.... and .... so what?

The question is does this apply to the Catnip and RC-30?

Any other deviations from standard class configurations, including the addition of wings, can be assessed a penalty of at least 0.995. Multiple deviations may incur multiple penalties. Penalties may be greater than 0.995. Please identify any such modifications and penalties assigned and include with results reported to the handicap committee and Portsmouth Numbers Committee.

You say no but others say yes which is the basis of the thread and potential protest.

Let me also state if I haven't made it clear before... I don't give two sh!ts about the catnip, RC30 or any other rig in a handicap race because for me it aint real racing and that's how I deal with the handicap racing bullsh!t.

If you think a measurement system will magically make all this insanity go away your are delusional Mark. It's like saying one religion is the real true religion and all others are bogus. You're a believer and good for you, I'm simply not.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248093
05/10/12 12:41 PM
05/10/12 12:41 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

laugh

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Mugrace72] #248094
05/10/12 12:42 PM
05/10/12 12:42 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Originally Posted by Mugrace72
since next year is the 60th...well...maybe.

We are due for a windy year Tim. We missed by two days this year...it blew nicely all day Thursday.

Yeah...I've been sucked in by that "...we are overdue..." before too!

But I might come just to drink beer with you at the finish line Jack.

I might not bring my boat though.

The many hours spent rigging it, unrigging it, all that back and forth driving up to the club and then back to Polatka sure cut into my party time! If I could just find someone to haul my beach wheels up to the Rudder club...

Blade F16
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: David Ingram] #248095
05/10/12 12:53 PM
05/10/12 12:53 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
I know you are not making any charge that either boat is cheating.

Your broad brush stroke that this is just like religion and you are not a believer is fine... BUT the race actually IS scored on handicap and they give out trophies and others care.
So... the OA should lead and choose the most workable handicap system.

Portsmouth has now become a system where you are screwed at almost all turns. "Maybe he is... maybe he is not CHEATING" is a tragic conversation.
Portsmouth's time in the sun is over. The rudder club should lead...

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Timbo] #248096
05/10/12 12:58 PM
05/10/12 12:58 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
"Don't hate the Playa, hate the game!"

Portsmouth sucks...but if you want to play, well, you know the rules are weak when it comes to 'modified sail plans'. How would you like to be one of those poor monohulls who have to start at 7am, with zero wind, and then try to finish, as all the late starting cats go blowing by you when the breeze finally shows?

Go for the Party, but they should just hand the RC 30 the trophy on Friday night.

Personally, I HATE light air sailing. I only got into cats to GO FAST(er) than monohulls! Having done this light air drifter 3 times, I swore I'd never go back, the logistics are a PITA, as is the long drive home with a hangover, but since next year is the 60th...well...maybe.

It's a really fun race regardless of weather. It is one of my favorite sailing memories when David Mosely and I used it to shake out the I20 before our first Tybee....we actually had a little breeze that year before storms sucked it away (before bringing it back with veracity). The hull flying spin run through the monohull fleet was awesome...making fun of Mosely for wrapping himself in the spinnaker when it started to rain...when we were soaking wet anyway (trampoline launched kite), the storms bringing the wind back and making it to the club in time to have the beer tent whisked away over our heads into the clubs antennae (storm wind), and my favorite quote of all time when an older dude who was competing in a sailing canoe was boat assisted to the club. He was sitting on a short retaining wall shivering and someone asked him if they should call EMS. His response? "I'm 80 years old, I'm supposed to shake...just show me to the beer tent". Hell yeah.

Jake Kohl
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: David Ingram] #248097
05/10/12 01:15 PM
05/10/12 01:15 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Originally Posted by David Ingram

All of that is LEGAL

Flawed and unfair....

The question is does this apply to the Catnip and RC-30?

Any other deviations from standard class configurations, including the addition of wings, can be assessed a penalty of at least 0.995. Multiple deviations may incur multiple penalties. Penalties may be greater than 0.995. Please identify any such modifications and penalties assigned and include with results reported to the handicap committee and Portsmouth Numbers Committee.

You say no but others say yes which is the basis of the thread and potential protest.

Let me also state if I haven't made it clear before... I don't give two sh!ts about the catnip, RC30 or any other rig in a handicap race because for me it aint real racing and that's how I deal with the handicap racing bullsh!t.

If you think a measurement system will magically make all this insanity go away your are delusional Mark. It's like saying one religion is the real true religion and all others are bogus. You're a believer and good for you, I'm simply not.

WHAT??? You mean there's NOT one TRUE RELIGION???

HERESEY!

He's a WITCH, BURN HIM! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

Blade F16
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Timbo] #248098
05/10/12 01:24 PM
05/10/12 01:24 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL

But I might come just to drink beer with you at the finish line Jack.

If I could just find someone to haul my beach wheels up to the Rudder club...

You got it Pal! Done deal. cool

Jack Woehrle
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Mark Schneider] #248099
05/10/12 01:39 PM
05/10/12 01:39 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL

So... the OA should lead and choose the most workable handicap system.

The rudder club should lead...

That ain't gonna happen Mark. We (cat sailors) are the outliers. Their handicap guy is overloaded as it is with trying to merge PHRF, Portsmouth, etc. into some sort of believable spreadsheet. It is called RCHS (Rudder Club Handicap System) and no one but he knows (or should know) how it works. That way it is hard to protest anyway.

Our Portsmouth numbers are only the base number and he has the ability to make WAG adjustments as he sees fit.

Having said that, word is that he is willing to make bigger adjustments for next year. That was the talk after the race anyway. The new lady Commodore wants this to happen.

It might be a good time for some well written letters to find there way to the Rudder Club.

Address:
Rudder Club of Jacksonville
8533 Malaga Avenue
Jacksonville, FL 32244
Telephone/fax:
904 264-4094
office@rudderclub.com

Jack Woehrle
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Mugrace72] #248100
05/10/12 02:00 PM
05/10/12 02:00 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Holy crap.... I thought we were talking Portsmouth and "cheaters" ...

now that we are talking about the Rudder club handicap system... which contains a WAG factor.

Give me a break.... anybody claiming XX is cheating best apologize.

crac.sailregattas.com
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 840 guests, and 117 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022