05/12/12 10:23 PM
05/12/12 10:23 PM
Palm Harbor, FL
daniel_t Offline OP
enthusiast
daniel_t  Offline OP
enthusiast

Palm Harbor, FL
When I bought my boat, it had an under tramp righting line, but I found that whenever I tried to right it (uni) the bows would point away from the wind and I wasn't able to bring it back up without assistance. So I got a new line that I attached to the dolphin striker, then I slung it over the upper hull and stood closer to the bow. I found that I still couldn't right the boat. So today I picked up a 5 gallon righting bucket (40 lbs,) maybe it was just my lack of practice, but I still can't right the boat!

I weigh about 155lbs including harness and vest. I figured with the extra 40 lbs (probably more like 30 because I don't think the bucket was all the way full,) I should have been able to bring it up, but no joy.

What do other uni sailors do? As I understand it, I can't race in any events until I get this figured out.

Daniel T.
Taipan F16 - USA 213
--Advertisement--
Re: Righting Woes [Re: daniel_t] #248234
05/13/12 05:59 AM
05/13/12 05:59 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You need to work with other sailors, I'm betting its your technique.

Worst case, Rick has a righting bucket rig for sale in the online store...

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Righting Woes [Re: daniel_t] #248235
05/13/12 07:09 AM
05/13/12 07:09 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Probably your technique.

Is you downhaul still on, have you not put enough slack on the maintraveller and then on the mainsheet, etc

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Righting Woes [Re: daniel_t] #248236
05/13/12 07:10 AM
05/13/12 07:10 AM

M
Mac m
Unregistered
Mac m
Unregistered
M

I think you can still race but are aren't scored for the particular race you have to get righting assistance in. There was a guy sailing his F16 one up in the race I did last weekend. He went over in one race and had to get assistance to right the boat. He ended up finishing higher than I did for the weekend.

Re: Righting Woes [Re: daniel_t] #248238
05/13/12 07:41 AM
05/13/12 07:41 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
How tall are you Daniel? I'm anywhere from 155-165 lbs, and I'm 6'-2". I had erratic results, sometimes it'd be super easy to right, other times it was a bastard. You need to be laid out as flat as possible to make your weight as effective as you can. It's already been said, but main sheet, downhaul, and traveler should be loose.

I figured out in January that getting my arm over my head was enough to get it up. Stupid! I could get the mast almost horizontal, but just couldn't get it past until I did that, then it popped right up.

I'm using a fighting line that's under the tramp. It pulls from the inside of the hull at the front beam.

I'm boatless.
Re: Righting Woes [Re: Karl_Brogger] #248246
05/13/12 11:15 AM
05/13/12 11:15 AM
W
waynemarlow Offline
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline
old hand
W

Absolutely essential to get all the downhaul off, mast spanner centered ( think wing section and with the spanner facing down, any lift from the wind will be toward the water and not upwards ) and travellor off, but even more essential is to get the boat correctly aligned with the wind, ie the mast perpendicular to the wind. Oh and did I forget that the mast must be totally sealed from water ingress, even just a few litres of water at the tip and you will not get it past the mid point.

There is one time where everybody struggles though, light winds and very flat water, there is enough stiction between the sail and water that the tip just doesn't seem to want let go. I was on rescue duty a wee while ago and a Hurricane 5.9 with the latest fat head sail couldn't get the tip out, even lifting it from the boat was quite difficult, but as soon as the sail broke away from laying flat on the water, it was a doddle.

Re: Righting Woes [Re: daniel_t] #248249
05/13/12 11:35 AM
05/13/12 11:35 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
The only time I've ever had trouble righting a cat, was in light air. I righted my Inter 20 alone once, but it was blowing good that day, all I had to do was sit on the bow, drag me feet in the water and wait for the boat to turn so the wind got under the mast, and it just about came up by itself!

But as said above, you've got to be sure all the 'stuff' is off; mainsheet loose, traveler out, downhaul off, spinnaker snuffed, if it was up of course, then go sit on the bow and wait for the boat to spin so the wind can get under the mast. If it's not spinning, you may have to get into the water and act as a sea anchor to get it to spin, when it does, get back on the bow.

At that point, I'll walk out on the low dagger board with my righting line loop hooked into my trap hook, lean back and wait. In ligh air, it's a bitch.

BUT...I'm a bit heavier than you or Karl, at 190 naked, probably over 200 with wet gear on, so that helps. At least that's my 'excuse' for drinking beer and eating pizza!

I was out yesterday, it was blowing pretty hard. I was solo and had my jib up too, had my GPS on, top speed was 18.2kts. That was on a deep reach, no spinnaker, both boards half way up, I was trapping all the way at the back, with my front foot on the aft beam, just to keep the low bow up. It was fun, but a lot of work! I nearly ate it several times, the gusts were quick and violent! I passed a guy in a pontoon boat pulling kids in a tube! You should have seen the look on his face!

Blade F16
Re: Righting Woes [Re: daniel_t] #248266
05/13/12 03:06 PM
05/13/12 03:06 PM
Palm Harbor, FL
daniel_t Offline OP
enthusiast
daniel_t  Offline OP
enthusiast

Palm Harbor, FL
Karl, I'm only 5'-8" tall.

Pete, I'm happy to get with some other sailors, but right now my only launch point is at the Clearwater Sailing Center, and I'm not willing to sail up to Dunedin (about 8 miles away,) until I know I can right the boat if I capsize on the way there. Catch 22. :-)

To all, I had the mainsheet & traveler loose, but I hadn't thought to loosen the downhaul. I stood on the bow to make sure the boat was facing into the wind. A fishing boat came buy immediately and asked if I needed help, I told them I wanted to try to right the boat myself first, so they offered to come back after ten minutes. When they came back, they lifted the mast out of the water and I was able to bring it the rest of the way. The wind was blowing 10-15 mph at the time with 15-20 mph gusts.

Timbo, I don't think I was going as fast as you were. I didn't have a GPS with me, but based on the difference between apparent wind and true wind angles I was going as fast as the wind on a beam reach. I capsized when I turned downwind. As I was coming in off the wire I accidentally turned back up and even with the main and traveller out I was too far inboard to stop the boat from going over once it got started.

Things I learned... Generally, I have to practice getting out on the wire and back in without making huge changes in heading. My righting line is way too slick. I had to tie a knot in it and run it through my harness, then move the knot several times before it was in the right place. Once I had the righting line tied well and had the bucket tied to the line, I couldn't fill the bucket with water so my line has to be longer.

I'll practice on my technique.

Daniel T.
Taipan F16 - USA 213
Re: Righting Woes [Re: daniel_t] #248273
05/13/12 04:48 PM
05/13/12 04:48 PM
Michigan
PTP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan
I have a righting line that has knots every foot or so. Makes it easier to wrap around your harness.
As far as in and out from the wire without turning_ rest the tiller on the hull and put your hand on both the tiller and hulls when you go in or out. Still tes practice but that is what I do when I go out and back solo with spin

Re: Righting Woes [Re: daniel_t] #248613
05/19/12 11:31 AM
05/19/12 11:31 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Karl, I owe you a couple beers!

I was out on my boat earlier today, wind was light and puffy. I had the spin up going downwind when a puff came along and I thought, "Hey, I should get out on the wire and see how high I can point..."

Well, long story (T-Bagging) short, I pulled the boat over on top of me.

After snuffing the spin, releasing the main, traveler, downhaul, etc. I went out to the bow to get it to spin into the wind, as we have been discussing above. When it was there, I went out to the end of my daggerboard (full down possition) hooked into my righting line and leaned back and waited.

The mast tip was about a foot underwater when I began...it came up to the surface, then about a foot above the water, then it just sat there. I was looking upwind, hoping a puff would come along and help me, but there was none to be had.

THEN it hit me! Karl said if he put his arm above his head it worked...so I put my right arm up over my head, stretched it all the way out...and the mast came up another foot. So I put my left arm up, all the way out...and slowly, inch by inch, the mast started moving up, out of the water.

It took about 5 minutes, from swimming to back upright, but it worked!

So Karl, I owe you a few cold ones for that righting tip!

I never knew my arms were that 'heavy' but I guess when it's right on the edge, every little bit helps!

Oh, and my righting line has small loops, one at each end, so I can hook it to my trap and put both 'hands up' when standing at the very end of the dagger board, so that helped. Of course if I'd had a full beer in each hand...hey, there's an idea!

Blade F16
Re: Righting Woes [Re: Timbo] #248620
05/19/12 08:06 PM
05/19/12 08:06 PM
Michigan
PTP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan
do you stand on your extended board when you right your boat?

Re: Righting Woes [Re: daniel_t] #248621
05/19/12 08:11 PM
05/19/12 08:11 PM

M
Mac m
Unregistered
Mac m
Unregistered
M

Had no trouble righting the boat today since my girlfriend was with me but the sail sure took a beating. Looks like its Time to look for a new main for the Viper...

[Linked Image]

Re: Righting Woes [Re: daniel_t] #248622
05/19/12 08:12 PM
05/19/12 08:12 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Only if I have to, and today I had to!

If there's a good breeze I usually don't have to, the wind does the work when it gets under the mast and starts lifing the sail, but today with the light air, I had to get all the leverage I could, all the way out at the end of the board, and both arms up over my head!

Blade F16
Re: Righting Woes [Re: ] #248623
05/19/12 08:14 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Originally Posted by Mac m
Had no trouble righting the boat today since my girlfriend was with me but the sail sure took a beating. Looks like its Time to look for a new main for the Viper...

[Linked Image]

Bah...get some duct tape, you'll be fine!

;^)

ps. I hope that's not where your girlfriend went through!

At least you saved the batton and the boom.

Blade F16
Re: Righting Woes [Re: ] #248624
Michigan
PTP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan

[Linked Image]

just a flesh wound

Re: Righting Woes [Re: daniel_t] #248625
05/19/12 08:15 PM
05/19/12 08:15 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
It's a scratch really, I've had worse!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6VTci1Bunk&feature=fvst

Blade F16
Re: Righting Woes [Re: daniel_t] #248630
05/19/12 09:00 PM
05/19/12 09:00 PM
Palm Harbor, FL
daniel_t Offline OP
enthusiast
daniel_t  Offline OP
enthusiast

Palm Harbor, FL
When I bought my boat, the previous owner told me that the daggerboard will break if I try to right the boat by sanding on it.

Today I put a longer righting line that is less slick on my boat, but I didn't capsize so I didn't get to try it out. Instead, my port tiller broke (while I had a hull out of the water on a starboard broad reach with the spinnaker out... When the leeward rudder kicked up and the only steerage I had was the windward rudder which was half-out of the water, I was thinking I would get to try out my new righting technique, but I got lucky!

My intention now is to put a 2-1 purchase in the righting line, hook it to my harness. Fill my 5 gallon (40 lb) bucket and hope for the best.

Daniel T.
Taipan F16 - USA 213
Re: Righting Woes [Re: daniel_t] #248634
05/19/12 10:11 PM
05/19/12 10:11 PM
Michigan
PTP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan
how much pressure do you think is on the board when you sail vs stand on it? There has to be a lot of pressure on it when sailing in high winds and surfing through waves, but it isn't point loaded like standing on it. In the end, I ain't gonna do it given how much they cost but was curious about what anybody with a clue might think

Re: Righting Woes [Re: PTP] #248664
05/21/12 10:45 AM
05/21/12 10:45 AM
Orlando, FL
tback Offline
veteran
tback  Offline
veteran

Orlando, FL
Originally Posted by PTP

[Linked Image]

just a flesh wound

There are those that have and those that will ....

Looks like your sail is Pentex Smoke ... look around and purchase some...then take it to your sail maker and have him use your sail material to make the repair. Be sure to get back any unused material.

USA 777
Re: Righting Woes [Re: ] #248667
05/21/12 11:02 AM
05/21/12 11:02 AM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland

[Linked Image]

Don't throw that baby out!!! Any good sail loft can repair that at a fraction of the cost of a new main. Worse case, it would be your "practice" mainsail.

We have had good success with the Quantum loft in Annapolis. I believe there is one the Charleston, SC.

Kris Hathaway
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 668 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022