11/09/12 12:01 PM
Williamston, sc
h18catsailor Offline
journeyman
h18catsailor  Offline
journeyman

Williamston, sc
Originally Posted by Jake
I'm not sitting here saying it needs to be like it was. I realize the change had to happen as the boat prices are freakin' out of control. What I do believe, and is not represented in the poll, is that the event should still maintain a level of exclusivity. Entries should be limited and you should have to qualify. The BYOB aspect of it is fine, but the planning will need to be made carefully schedules to avoid falling within a year of a World Championship in the US of that class, or National Championship of that class by 6 months.

I'm sitting here thinking about having the championship as a combined event and it just dawned on me how completely and utterly backwards this is. For years, we fought a losing battle with Liz/Us Sailing over the qualifying events. We were pushed hard out of having them combined with other events, to combined events but separate starts, to free-standing events, then certified clubs, certified PROs, yada yada. It made the qualifiers difficult and expensive to manage, lowly attended, and more separated from the general catsailing community. In some cases, we ended up with PROs that weren't familiar with catamarans and the stand-alone regatta could have been better. So after living through all of this detailed requirement, I'm a little shocked that the qualifiers are out the window and the championship is looking to be combined with another event. This seems really backwards.

The event needs a degree of exclusivity and status to be anything of merit. I think we still need qualifiers but with considerably relaxed requirements. Before Liz accuses me again of wanting to relax the USS membership requirement to discount my opinion, let me state clearly: I believe all competitors of the qualifiers should be US Sailing members. We have had issues with this in our area in the past (not as much an issues as some others) but in some cases, we needed the head count to make the free standing qualifier survive financially and some of those people wanted to sail, didn't care about the championship, didn't want to be US Sailing members, but we needed their entry fee and enjoy their company.

Here's what I think will work. Re-introduce the qualifiers in conjunction with other major regional regattas. Make the actual championship a freestanding event, BYOB, class and location known well ahead of time and not conflicting with that class' US based worlds within a calendar year and not with that class' national championship within 6 months. Limit the actual championship to a 20, 25, or 30 boat fleet. Don't require certified PROs or certified clubs for the qualifier and allow it to be a mixed start of qualify-ees and non qualify-ees at major regional regattas. However, qualify-ees must be US Sailing members at the time of the qualifier. Let Spring Fever have a qualifier enabled fleet, Catfight, etc. If F18 is the boat of the year, F18 sailors can choose to partake of the qualifier in their normal fleet start and be ranked with other qualifier participants for inclusion in the event. We can finally have a legitimate event on a single handed boat too. Eliminate the portsmouth handicap qualifier and make the qualifier part of the class fleet of the selected boat for that championship. Go deep within these results for attendees. Draw for an open spot or two giving someone a chance that might not otherwise normally qualified to provide incentive for more qualifier involvement. Have a couple of limited special case slots for a youth team or other special cases. Stop with the restrictive requirements and let us enjoy the darn thing.

Very well said!!!

David Strickland
Hobie 18
HEAVY air crew on a J22
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: Jake] #254501
11/09/12 01:24 PM
11/09/12 01:24 PM
Solomon's Island, MD
S
samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD
I'm not sitting here saying it needs to be like it was. I realize the change had to happen as the boat prices are freakin' out of control. What I do believe, and is not represented in the poll, is that the event should still maintain a level of exclusivity. Entries should be limited and you should have to qualify. The BYOB aspect of it is fine, but the planning will need to be made carefully schedules to avoid falling within a year of a World Championship in the US of that class, or National Championship of that class by 6 months.

I'm sitting here thinking about having the championship as a combined event and it just dawned on me how completely and utterly backwards this is. For years, we fought a losing battle with Liz/Us Sailing over the qualifying events. We were pushed hard out of having them combined with other events, to combined events but separate starts, to free-standing events, then certified clubs, certified PROs, yada yada. It made the qualifiers difficult and expensive to manage, lowly attended, and more separated from the general catsailing community. In some cases, we ended up with PROs that weren't familiar with catamarans and the stand-alone regatta could have been better. So after living through all of this detailed requirement, I'm a little shocked that the qualifiers are out the window and the championship is looking to be combined with another event. This seems really backwards.

The event needs a degree of exclusivity and status to be anything of merit. I think we still need qualifiers but with considerably relaxed requirements. Before Liz accuses me again of wanting to relax the USS membership requirement to discount my opinion, let me state clearly: I believe all competitors of the qualifiers should be US Sailing members. We have had issues with this in our area in the past (not as much an issues as some others) but in some cases, we needed the head count to make the free standing qualifier survive financially and some of those people wanted to sail, didn't care about the championship, didn't want to be US Sailing members, but we needed their entry fee and enjoy their company.

Here's what I think will work. Re-introduce the qualifiers in conjunction with other major regional regattas. Make the actual championship a freestanding event, BYOB, class and location known well ahead of time and not conflicting with that class' US based worlds within a calendar year and not with that class' national championship within 6 months. Limit the actual championship to a 20, 25, or 30 boat fleet. Don't require certified PROs or certified clubs for the qualifier and allow it to be a mixed start of qualify-ees and non qualify-ees at major regional regattas. However, qualify-ees must be US Sailing members at the time of the qualifier. Let Spring Fever have a qualifier enabled fleet, Catfight, etc. If F18 is the boat of the year, F18 sailors can choose to partake of the qualifier in their normal fleet start and be ranked with other qualifier participants for inclusion in the event. We can finally have a legitimate event on a single handed boat too. Eliminate the portsmouth handicap qualifier and make the qualifier part of the class fleet of the selected boat for that championship. Go deep within these results for attendees. Draw for an open spot or two giving someone a chance that might not otherwise normally qualified to provide incentive for more qualifier involvement. Have a couple of limited special case slots for a youth team or other special cases. Stop with the restrictive requirements and let us enjoy the darn thing.

+1. I know we would make an effort to qualify if it didn't require much additional time to make the qualifying events. If the championship was held a few months prior to a major class championship (nationals), possibly in the same venue, that would probably help attendance as it would be an elite event that also prepared you for the championship. This time Alter Cup follows Nationals, and we see the participation issue.

Finally, the social calendar is important, even to those sailors at the top. Last time I did a qualifier (not that I'm currently a top sailor), it was mostly because the party promised to be good-great, which it was.

Last edited by samc99us; 11/09/12 01:25 PM.

Scorpion F18
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: P.M.] #254503
11/09/12 01:58 PM
11/09/12 01:58 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
hmm... what is a North Amercians for a class....
Is it not the best XX sailors competeing against each other?? (I define this as the "Elite" sailors of the class competing for the NAs)

What you guys want is "Special" something Exclusive that only the special sailors get to compete in.

The observation of the facts on the ground is that US Sailors are not going to compete in two multiday national events in a year.... Time and budgets are limited. ... SPECIAL EVENTS do not rise to the top of enough sailors must do events.

This is not new....Special is over rated... Many a year (not always) saw a mad scramble to actually FILL the "Special Event" On Two occasions... I was asked to recommend sailors from my region who A) were competent an B) were likely to make sudden plans to race the 20 boat championship with 3 weeks to spare... The "Special" regatta was just not getting 20 teams to show up for whatever reason ...They managed to fill most of the events. THIS WAS WHEN we were spending 7 K in cash and using manufacturer supplied boats... I understand the appeal of Special.... however, Area qualifiers with an absolute certainity to get one of those "Special" Slots were poorly attended....(the rules to conduct them are a red herring in this debate) Area C sailors failed to show up to qualifiers or put them on their schedule because "Special" was just not a big deal.

Jake's proposal does not solve the underyling problem. Even Special Sailors will not show up for more then 1 major national event a year with their BYOB. We do not get the numbers needed to have a credible championship. (Survey said that 20 teams was a credible championship and the committe set the standard at 15)

The theory of the case is that competing for the US Sailing Alter cup Trophy is a very worth while endevour... The history and culture of the competitition in all of its previous incarnations is very important to beach cat racers.

I believe that Elite sailors at their NA's deserve a chance to win the Alter Cup Trophy and reflect the principals and values of the Championship....

I believe that SPECIAL sailors have the same constraints that every sailor has and they will not part with their time and money... Bottom line... you can't run an event for them that hits a reasonable standard. More the point.... You can't tell "Special Sailors" how they should spend their time and money... This championship is an invitation to compete... nobody makes you spend your money to go. . Nothing is stopping the top F16 Sailors from agreeing amongst themselves to show up and compete... They just are not doing it.

FYI, My point of view was a minority on the committee.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254504
11/09/12 02:57 PM
11/09/12 02:57 PM
Solomon's Island, MD
S
samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD
Mark you are correct. 98% of sailors, excluding the pro's, can only do a handful of major (week long) events a year. World's vs. Tybee. Nationals vs. Alter Cup vs. World's.

Which flavor of boat is selected for Alter Cup if its run concurrently with Nationals? U.S Sailing seems fixated on F16's right now, even though there are more F18's in the U.S. I could very well see this turning into a BYOB event where the only boat is the Nacra Carbon F17. IMO that would become a very exclusive event catering to the Olympic crowd. It may be a bad thing for the multihull community in general even if its the elite sailors.

Last edited by samc99us; 11/09/12 02:58 PM.

Scorpion F18
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: Mark Schneider] #254505
11/09/12 02:59 PM
11/09/12 02:59 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
hmm... what is a North Amercians for a class....
Is it not the best XX sailors competeing against each other?? (I define this as the "Elite" sailors of the class competing for the NAs)

What you guys want is "Special" something Exclusive that only the special sailors get to compete in.

I reject your categorization of me wanting something for myself. I want something special for the Alter Cup. I came to know, respect, and greatly appreciate the people that started it during my involvement with the organization. I would like to see it continue.

The observation of the facts on the ground is that US Sailors are not going to compete in two multiday national events in a year.... Time and budgets are limited. ... SPECIAL EVENTS do not rise to the top of enough sailors must do events.

The "facts on the ground" you are using are flawed. The previous iteration saw sailors get to sail half the time, face huge insurance fees (chartered boats), and have some aggravation (mostly perceived) with boat variation. The current iteration is butted up against another major championship that people were already planning on when this one was planned and is in direct competition with the other event only a matter of weeks apart.

This is not new....Special is over rated... Many a year (not always) saw a mad scramble to actually FILL the "Special Event" On Two occasions... I was asked to recommend sailors from my region who A) were competent an B) were likely to make sudden plans to race the 20 boat championship with 3 weeks to spare... The "Special" regatta was just not getting 20 teams to show up for whatever reason ...They managed to fill most of the events. THIS WAS WHEN we were spending 7 K in cash and using manufacturer supplied boats... I understand the appeal of Special.... however, Area qualifiers with an absolute certainity to get one of those "Special" Slots were poorly attended....(the rules to conduct them are a red herring in this debate) Area C sailors failed to show up to qualifiers or put them on their schedule because "Special" was just not a big deal.

Jake's proposal does not solve the underyling problem. Even Special Sailors will not show up for more then 1 major national event a year with their BYOB. We do not get the numbers needed to have a credible championship. (Survey said that 20 teams was a credible championship and the committe set the standard at 15)

Both issues are made better with these ideas. I think the BYOB aspect will deal with one of the complaints I heard often that folks weren't getting enough time on the water. Combining it with another event makes it "just a trophy" and the team that wins the event also wins the trophy as a side-note. That's not what I would like the Alter Cup to be.

The theory of the case is that competing for the US Sailing Alter cup Trophy is a very worth while endevour... The history and culture of the competitition in all of its previous incarnations is very important to beach cat racers.

I believe that Elite sailors at their NA's deserve a chance to win the Alter Cup Trophy and reflect the principals and values of the Championship....

I believe that SPECIAL sailors have the same constraints that every sailor has and they will not part with their time and money... Bottom line... you can't run an event for them that hits a reasonable standard. More the point.... You can't tell "Special Sailors" how they should spend their time and money... This championship is an invitation to compete... nobody makes you spend your money to go. . Nothing is stopping the top F16 Sailors from agreeing amongst themselves to show up and compete... They just are not doing it.

But you CAN run a respectable and sought after stand-alone event! I don't know if you ever participated in a past Alter Cup but the excitement and joy of competing and/or winning was never lost on any competitor. It was not just another regatta. We've had award ceremonies at City Festivals, in the middle of parades. Hell, we've got a day named after the event in at least one municipality. There is a lot of prestige that comes from the event and if the format hits the mark, I truly believe it will become what it can be.

FYI, My point of view was a minority on the committee.

Jake Kohl
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254506
11/09/12 03:39 PM
11/09/12 03:39 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

The F16 was chosen for 2012 because the committee felt that the next Olympics would be held on a spinnaker boat, the Nacra F17 doesn't really exist yet, and the F18 Worlds on the other side of the continent would make boats unavailable. The date was selected to give the event its own weekend, and it was believed that since there are so few of these boats in the country, putting them close to the nationals in time and physical location would increase opportunities for chartering. None of these decisions came without plenty of discussion of the pros and cons of each.

Combining qualifiers with existing cat regattas has been tried, and has also failed (at least once at Roton Point for sure). By and large, people want to sail OD at the local regattas.

Finding certified officials is easier than you realize, many of them are within our ranks.

Personally, I prefer having qualifiers, and making them the only way to get to the finals, even if it's BYOB.

I have been beating the drum that we need to schedule these events at least three years out (we're trying, keep in mind that we are rebuilding from scratch this year).

I like the idea of using the same platform for the qualifiers and finals (if that's what was proposed by Jake above). This has also been discussed by me and Jack as a possibility for the future. Basically, if the 2014 event is to be held on Hobie Dragoons, the qualifiers would be held at existing regional regattas in 2013, and the Hobie Dragoon fleet would serve as the qualifier. Don't go to the qualifiers and/or don't bring a Hobie Dragoon, don't show up at the finals.

For this to work, we'd all need to get on board to support this. In the example above, all Hobie Dragoon sailors (skippers and crews) would need to be US Sailing members. While I used that boat as a non-threatening example, think it through if the finals were to be on a F18 or A Cat. Would people stay home from their local event just to avoid the membership requirement?

I see the loss of qualifiers as a major problem for US Sailing, as there are no other flag-bearing local cat regattas. I am working with Jack to see what we might be able to do, several ideas have been floated, and this will be a project for the winter. Training and rules clinics are on the top of the list. Send suggestions if you have them.

Mike

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254507
11/09/12 03:42 PM
11/09/12 03:42 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by brucat
The F16 was chosen for 2012 because the committee felt that the next Olympics would be held on a spinnaker boat, the Nacra F17 doesn't really exist yet, and the F18 Worlds on the other side of the continent would make boats unavailable. The date was selected to give the event its own weekend, and it was believed that since there are so few of these boats in the country, putting them close to the nationals in time and physical location would increase opportunities for chartering. None of these decisions came without plenty of discussion of the pros and cons of each.

Combining qualifiers with existing cat regattas has been tried, and has also failed (at least once at Roton Point for sure). By and large, people want to sail OD at the local regattas.

Finding certified officials is easier than you realize, many of them are within our ranks.

Personally, I prefer having qualifiers, and making them the only way to get to the finals, even if it's BYOB.

I have been beating the drum that we need to schedule these events at least three years out (we're trying, keep in mind that we are rebuilding from scratch this year).

I like the idea of using the same platform for the qualifiers and finals (if that's what was proposed by Jake above). This has also been discussed by me and Jack as a possibility for the future. Basically, if the 2014 event is to be held on Hobie Dragoons, the qualifiers would be held at existing regional regattas in 2013, and the Hobie Dragoon fleet would serve as the qualifier. Don't go to the qualifiers and/or don't bring a Hobie Dragoon, don't show up at the finals.

For this to work, we'd all need to get on board to support this. In the example above, all Hobie Dragoon sailors (skippers and crews) would need to be US Sailing members. While I used that boat as a non-threatening example, think it through if the finals were to be on a F18 or A Cat. Would people stay home from their local event just to avoid the membership requirement?

I see the loss of qualifiers as a major problem for US Sailing, as there are no other flag-bearing local cat regattas. I am working with Jack to see what we might be able to do, several ideas have been floated, and this will be a project for the winter. Training and rules clinics are on the top of the list. Send suggestions if you have them.

Mike

The scariest part of this to me is that I barely know what a Hobie Dragoon is....which means me (and many I know) probably aren't buying one anytime soon nor does this entice me to go to any length to compete in a qualifier. How many of these are even in the country? Which is fine on it's own - I'm probably not going to go get a Hobie 16 should that be the selected platform (though I don't object to the notion, I'm pretty happy with my current fleet). If you want any chance to have people attend the championship FOR the championship, it needs to be in line with the popular sailing classes. F16, F18, A-cat, H16, etc. (not a comprehensive list)

Eliminating the portsmouth start requirement, as you mentioned previously, opens up a whole new world on the idea of combining qualifying events with local regattas (Roton is definitely NOT a good example - there are examples of this working elsewhere even under Portsmouth). This makes it simple to align the qualifier with the local event and puts some additional validity to the qualification process.

Jake Kohl
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254508
11/09/12 03:49 PM
11/09/12 03:49 PM
Boston, Ma
J
Jeff.Dusek Offline
addict
Jeff.Dusek  Offline
addict
J

Boston, Ma
The Hobie Dragoon is a youth development boat used by the French Sailing Federation... pretty sure Mike was just using it as an example.

Then again, the strength of French multihull sailing makes a strong case for having a fleet of youth spinnaker cats... but that is a whole different question!

USF18 Eastern Area Rep
Nacra Infusion USA 753
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: Jeff.Dusek] #254509
11/09/12 03:58 PM
11/09/12 03:58 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Jeff.Dusek
The Hobie Dragoon is a youth development boat used by the French Sailing Federation... pretty sure Mike was just using it as an example.

Then again, the strength of French multihull sailing makes a strong case for having a fleet of youth spinnaker cats... but that is a whole different question!

Ahh - I see that it was just an example. Thanks.

Jake Kohl
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254511
11/09/12 04:08 PM
11/09/12 04:08 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

OK, let me put this out there. Would this be supported?

2014: Hobie 16
2015: IWCA Wave
2016: F18

Finals are stand-alone events, BYOB, scheduled in the spring/early summer, four-day race weekend, optional clinic on registration day (fifth day).

Qualifiers the prior year on the appropriate boat, held at local existing regattas meeting all current US Sailing rules, no other way into finals.

Mike

EDIT: Keep in mind, the opinions expressed here are often in direct contrast to what we hear on the beach...

Last edited by brucat; 11/09/12 04:12 PM.
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254512
11/09/12 04:10 PM
11/09/12 04:10 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Mike,

I think the only way this works is if you only need to be a US Sailing member if you want to participate in the qualifier component of the event. For example, suppose A-cat is chosen as the platform and it will be at the Grass Is Greener Yacht Club in March of 2014. The local regattas that will be tagged as qualifiers are selected by their area representation in conjunction with the event organizers at the end of 2012. In this example, Spring Fever 2013 would be the Area Dn qualifying event as they are expected to have another A-cat fleet. The A-cat fleet registers and people that want their results to count as part of the qualify enabled event, pay a small extra fee (mostly for trophies/medals) and must be a valid US Sailing member. You don't force the membership on the entire fleet because you will lose connection and overall participation with everyone else if you do. Let it be business as usual for the rest of the fleet that probably wouldn't join anyway. The event is sailed and scored. The sailors that placed in 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 11th had signed up for the qualifying enabled event and met all the qualification criteria. All four are eligible for the championship in finishing order and depending on how deep the selection process goes.

US Sailing (Liz) will probably take issue with the lack of a membership requirement on the fleet - but I PROMISE you won't get more members or grow the championship with it. Not in our sailing community. I think you introduce some randomness through a draw for some positions at the event to make the qualification more attractive to sailors of every level and let the benefits of US Sailing Membership, particularly the championship series, speak for themselves - not forcing people into things that makes some turn away altogether.

Jake Kohl
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254513
11/09/12 04:14 PM
11/09/12 04:14 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
OK, let me put this out there. Would this be supported?

2014: Hobie 16
2015: IWCA Wave
2016: F18

Finals are stand-alone events, BYOB, scheduled in the spring/early summer, four-day race weekend, optional clinic on registration day (fifth day).

Qualifiers the prior year on the appropriate boat, held at local existing regattas meeting all current US Sailing rules, no other way into finals.

Mike

I love it! I think that's a great way to start as long as the event works around possible conflicts (of which the Hobie 16 has many significant events).

Jake Kohl
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254514
11/09/12 04:21 PM
11/09/12 04:21 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

For the finals, Memorial Day weekend (every year) is an idea that has been floated and has merit (few existing regattas on that date).

No, we don't get to pick and choose rules. Everyone in the selected class would need to be members for that event (qualifier). Everyone else should be encouraged to join.

BEFORE ANY OF YOU REPLY, READ THE REST OF THIS (a few times, if needed)...

We need to find ways to make people WANT to join. We could use these events (qualifiers) as the locations for the local clinics / rules seminars. I'm sure there are other good ideas.

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 11/09/12 04:26 PM.
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254515
11/09/12 04:28 PM
11/09/12 04:28 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
For the finals, Memorial Day weekend (every year) is an idea that has been floated and has merit (few existing regattas on that date).

No, we don't get to pick and choose rules. Everyone in the selected class would need to be members for that event (qualifier). Everyone else should be encouraged to join.

Won't work - tried it. It alienates people to require them to join something they don't want to be a part of and it makes the organization look LESS attractive. It is not a winning position. The regattas won't want it either as it will affect their attendance. I also challenge the notion that there is some stone-recorded rule that states this. I fully support that anyone that wants their record to count toward the qualification of the event must be a US Sailing Member - but not the whole fleet.

BEFORE ANY OF YOU REPLY, READ THE REST OF THIS (a few times, if needed)...

We need to find ways to make people WANT to join. We could use these events (qualifiers) as the locations for the local clinics / rules seminars. I'm sure there are other good ideas.

Mike

You make people want to join by having a valid championship that is attractive and desirable but that doesn't interfere with their lives if they don't want to partake. US Sailing would just as soon attempt to grow the membership with thugs and baseball bats instead of pie and hot women (or men for the ladies).

Jake Kohl
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: Jake] #254516
11/09/12 04:29 PM
11/09/12 04:29 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Jake... the you I refer to is the collective point of view that the event must be special....not that you are a benficiary.

The current iteration is butted up against another major championship that people were already planning on when this one was planned and is in direct competition with the other event only a matter of weeks apart.

This was a FEATURE.... not a bug.... All of the former Alter cup sailors who advised the committee thought that this idea of back to back events was a true winner... J22 sailors use this strategy for woman's champs and then NAs....

They assumed that the champinoship was Special and top sailors would spend time and money to compete.... The date was the farthest away from the F18 date as possible... The theory was that charter boats would be available. (they are)

The concept is not working...

I see no compelling reason why a BYOB event resticted to the top 30 sailors from 3 x 10 Area Qualifiers would have more appeal?... Its just a second smaller NA's....((where you hope that you got 1/2 the eligible sailors) why would "special" sailors want to attend... the exclusive nature??? .... Makes no sense to me.

Why would the OD class want to have TWO essential NAs... The all inclusive one... and the special one.... I can never see how a class would want this outcome.

In my view... the history and nature of the championship means that the Alter trophy should be awarded at one of three NA's (sloop, spin, single handed) on a rotating basis.

The elite sailors in that disipline means that the best sailor that week wins the trophy.

The rotation policy address all of the multihull racers in the country... every three years... they get a shot at their day in the sun perhaps in their class.

Based on participation at NA's in the three disiplines... you could see 50 boats or more competing...

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: Mark Schneider] #254517
11/09/12 04:31 PM
11/09/12 04:31 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina

This was a FEATURE.... not a bug.... All of the former Alter cup sailors who advised the committee thought that this idea of back to back events was a true winner... J22 sailors use this strategy for woman's champs and then NAs....

That is SO not true. I was on the call and voiced my opinion when shortly afterwards I was reminded that I wasn't officially on the committee (aka "shutup").

Jake Kohl
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254518
11/09/12 04:39 PM
11/09/12 04:39 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

While membership is required at these events (US Sailing regulation 2.02 E, available on the website), championships alone are not enough of a carrot to drive membership, which is why I wrote that post the way I did. Read it again before ranting.

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 11/09/12 04:42 PM.
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254519
11/09/12 04:40 PM
11/09/12 04:40 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
While membership is required at these events, championships alone are not enough of a carrot to drive membership, which is why I wrote that post the way I did. Read it again before ranting.

Mike

I'm stuck on this part: " Everyone in the selected class would need to be members for that event (qualifier)."

Are you not saying that if the A-cat is the boat, all A-cat sailors at Spring Fever would need to be members?

Jake Kohl
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254520
11/09/12 04:44 PM
11/09/12 04:44 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

That is what I'm saying.

I recognize that this would require some bravery, but I think we can get there if we put the past aside and work to improve overall benefits of membership.

I can use help on that committee if you're interested, Jake.

Mike

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: Jake] #254521
11/09/12 04:48 PM
11/09/12 04:48 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD

That is SO not true. I was on the call and voiced my opinion when shortly afterwards I was reminded that I wasn't officially on the committee (aka "shutup").

Really

you must have been a stealth participant then.... Sitting in on the first meeting gives you a half assed understanding of the debate and no ability to speak to the actual decisions made.

The decisions were dicussed and voted here.

http://championships.ussailing.org/...Spring+12/Minutes/USMHC+3-22+Minutes.pdf

Notice you were not participating....

ATTENDED
NAME
COMMENTS
YES
YES
Levesque, Michael
MHC Chair
YES
YES
Livingston, Jamie
MEMBER AT LARGE
YES
ABSENT
Lovell III, John
MEMBER AT LARGE
YES
ABSENT
Newberry, Sarah
Youth Multihull Championship Chair
YES
YES
Rice, Bert
US Multihull Championship Committee (MCC) Chair
YES
YES
Schneider, Mark
MEMBER AT LARGE
YES
YES
Sullivan, Laura
USMHC Committee Secretary
----
YES
Walker, Liz
USSA Championships Director, MCC Liaison
YES
YES
Witte, Eric
MEMBER AT LARGE
** Quorum required(5)
Quorum requirements were met.
GUESTS
YES
Bradshaw, Chris
YES
Bush, Shannon
Championships Chair
YES
Casey , John
YES
Green, Steve
ABSENT
Kohl, Jake
Krantz, Mike
Pitt, Nigel

YES
Redja, Kevin
Smyth, Randy

crac.sailregattas.com
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 741 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022