02/04/13 10:47 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by maritimesailor

Also, just wanted to thank you again Rick, amazing event that we try to do almost every year, all criticism is to help improve the event, not knock it.

It's why I keep putting this event on my schedule every year... and moreso if I get a boat of my own...

Jay

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Tradewinds Story and Pix Up [Re: RickWhite] #256938
02/04/13 01:24 PM
02/04/13 01:24 PM
New Jersey, USA
graybon Offline
stranger
graybon  Offline
stranger

New Jersey, USA
Rick, Glad to see you are addressing the Race Management issues on the orange course too. We brought 6 teams from SHBCC in New Jersey and I personally love the venue and certainly vote to keep it a 3 day event, However,there were a lot of issues with the orange course, some of which have been mentioned already but I wanted to add a few more in case you did not hear about or see them.
1) As mentioned, two marks were picked up and moved during a race while we were on the layline to the mark. No change mark flag was ever used.
2) Also mentioned, Only 1 course (4x). Why not use the standard courses? There is a lot of history behind the current course cards that provide more competitive racing and allow the race committee to adjust the length of a race appropriately. The course that was set on Sunday was more like a Rick White training seminar. It is ridiculous to run 20 minute races with 6 legs (3 minute legs). The short course also put the S/F area right on the layline with a ~40 ft boat as an obstruction in the middle of the course. Tactically speaking, the B mark should not be in the first downwind leg. Give the sailors a chance to split in the first leg.
3) I'm all for starting races on time (even though I have a reputation for being late) but on Monday there was only only 1 boat actually in the starting area. It is well documented that the wind was nonexistent and not forecasted to come up so most people were caught by surprise when the wind came in. Wait another 10 minutes to let the fleet get on course. We all came to play, and it won't kill you to wait 10 min. Communicate with people on the beach. Let them know you are planning on starting. The wind was very light and it takes a long time to get to the course and the RC should be aware of that.
4) Shorten Course Flag. The last race on Sunday should have been shortened long before it finally was. And, as you know, was done in an "interesting" manner when it finally was finished (ie, no flag and a motoring boat).
5) I suggest using a different color or shape for the short mark for the Waves. A gate would be nice too but I can live without that if the B mark is not in the first downwind leg.

On a positive note, the RC did a great job of getting starts in. We did not wait at all to start the next race. Also, the guys from SHBCC gained a new appreciation for how good our race management at SHBCC is.

Re: Tradewinds Story and Pix Up [Re: graybon] #256953
02/04/13 05:55 PM
02/04/13 05:55 PM
D
Don Syers Offline
stranger
Don Syers  Offline
stranger
D

[/quote]Also, the guys from SHBCC gained a new appreciation for how good our race management at SHBCC is. [/quote]
+1

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 741 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022