Best spinnaker halyard line material?
by '81 Hobie 16 Lac Leman. 03/31/24 10:31 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257755
02/22/13 02:08 PM
02/22/13 02:08 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
You have a point.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: David Ingram] #257756
02/22/13 02:40 PM
02/22/13 02:40 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
What took eric so long is probably this statement by orphan.

You can protest anything or be protested for anything. That does not mean you will win or lose in the room. But I beleive the onus is on the port boat to prove that it did not cause the starboard boat to take corrective actions.

Onus is one of those dated concepts that judges have to deal with and try to get sailors to drop from their vocabulary and how they race..... IMO I think it led to the belief that you can arbitrage the rules and in the worst cases... even the Protest committee. It is the gamesmanship we use in other sports. Good that "Onus" is no longer a term we use.

Eric writes

"Competitors in the sport of sailing are governed by a body of rules that they are expected to follow and enforce. A fundamental principle of sportsmanship is that when competitors break a rule they will promptly take a penalty, which may be to retire."

In a hypothetical close crossing, Boat P (port) is expected to keep clear (rule 10).

This is the call your own foul and Starbord had ROW that Jake and I are discussing.

So... what happens when things go sideways.

If port crosses and calls the foul on himself... the situation is resolved.

If port crosses and does not call the foul on himself.

If P fails in that obligation, then Boat S (starboard) is expected to protest (see rules 60 and 61).

If P honestly believes that she did not foul S, then P may sail on. Otherwise she is expected to take a penalty (see rule 44).

This is Ports Second bite at the apple of Call your own.
It is initiated by Starbords responsibility to hail protest.

If she honestly disagrees... she (in some regattas can go to arbitration)... This would give port a third chance to call their own... and ask to be RAF... retired after finishing if they finally agree with starbord.

If she still honesty disagrees... she can go with a full hearing... and if she loses... she gets the DSQ. I think that Port can pull the plug at any point in the hearing and RAF before the jury makes a finding ....(not sure of this one tho)

As a judge... he correctly ID the notion of ONUS and flagged it...

The rules do not place a burden of proof on either boat.

I don't think he should opine on the tactics of arbitraging the rules for your advantage.... (70/30 to clear... What are the odds that starbord will protest. etc) That gets managed by the fleet. As a working judge... you don't want to be in this position.

The facts that are evaluated by Port at every opportunity and by the judge and PC at the end of the day is this.

If S took avoiding action, then she must have had a genuine and reasonable apprehension of collision. If so, then P broke rule 10. If not, then P didn't. See ISAF Case 50.

so... genuine and reasonable apprehension of a collision .... are the ... It Depends.... of these situations. There are lots of independent judgements made in time. So... back to the beginning we go.

The best analogy that I have would be to play basketball using the RRS. In this game, the DEFENDER would have to call a foul on himself when he contests the shot .....

If he did not call the foul.... the Shooter would have this recourse... "Really.... You are not going to call that foul.... Come ON... my hand is bleeding". which would give the defender a second shot at calling the foul on himself. If the defender honestly believed he did not foul... off it would go to a protest committee... where ... facts are found and the shooters Right to not be fouled is evaluated and supported.

There is no gamesmanship allowed here in this part of the sailing game ... because you call the foul on yourself.... you are not working the ref to make the call ... You are not working the ref for the next call.. ...you are not working your opponent with the rules as a cudgel.

Does it happen... sure!... but that is not the norm or the game I enjoy.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257758
02/22/13 02:58 PM
02/22/13 02:58 PM
Daytona Beach Florida
O
orphan Offline
enthusiast
orphan  Offline
enthusiast
O

Daytona Beach Florida
Eric,
Lets say all things are equal when it comes to facts in the protest room. Starboard claims they had alter course. Port claims there was no need. A very close call when you look at all other circumstances. No witnesses. You cannot rule as a tie. What is the ruling? And why?

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257762
02/22/13 05:25 PM
02/22/13 05:25 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by pgp
Nope.

Leaners commonly use this observation in coastal racing to determine if they are gaining or losing to competition separated by any significant distance.

So they're not crossing but going parallel with each other? What if the other boat trims their sails in or out?

red herring

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: orphan] #257764
02/22/13 06:49 PM
02/22/13 06:49 PM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Originally Posted by orphan
Eric,
Lets say all things are equal when it comes to facts in the protest room. ... You cannot rule as a tie. What is the ruling? And why?

Applying the rules is the easy part of a protest hearing. The hard part is figuring out what actually took place on the water. The parties usually give conflicting reports. That doesn't mean anybody's evading responsibility - different people see things from different perspectives and can honestly tell different stories.

When faced with irreconcilable testimony, poor protest committees will often declare that they cannot determine what happened and dismiss the protest. A good protest committee will keep digging until they find something that sways their judgement one way or the other. Rule 63.6 states (in part) "The committee shall then find the facts and base its decision on them". PC must find the facts.

Protest committee can just keep questioning the parties and witnesses until some telling piece of information pops out. Sometimes, it boils down to which boat had the better view of an incident. Other times, one party will simply tell his story more believably than the other. It's very important to present your testimony as clearly and factually as you can.

Protest committees cherish hard data (distances, speeds, times, etc.). The committee can use them to place boats more precisely. Boatspeeds and distances are notoriously difficult to estimate accurately, however, and are hard to get without instrumentation. Times on the other hand, are easier to guage. If you start counting ("one-thousand one, one-thousand two...") as you approach another boat, you can give PC accurate times between maneuvers. The committee can then determine boat speeds (yes, we have a calculator for that) and reconstruct an incident with greater confidence. PC is also more likely to trust you when you say "I counted x seconds" than "I'd guess we were going y knots".

Regards,
Eric

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257765
02/22/13 06:58 PM
02/22/13 06:58 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Lots of good points there Eric.

In the absence of witnesses and good data, many (most?) PCs will give it to STBD. It's harder to prove you didn't foul, especially since STBD typically has a much better view of the final half of the crossing.

Mike

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: pgp] #257768
02/22/13 09:23 PM
02/22/13 09:23 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by pgp
Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by pgp
Nope.

Leaners commonly use this observation in coastal racing to determine if they are gaining or losing to competition separated by any significant distance.

So they're not crossing but going parallel with each other? What if the other boat trims their sails in or out?

red herring

purple tuna

and, besides, my post was totally relevant. You are recommending using the relationship of (movable) sails on a boat to determine it's angle and heading. It's a fallible idea - they move in relationship to the boat...

Jake Kohl
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: brucat] #257773
02/23/13 09:30 AM
02/23/13 09:30 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by brucat
Lots of good points there Eric.

In the absence of witnesses and good data, many (most?) PCs will give it to STBD. It's harder to prove you didn't foul, especially since STBD typically has a much better view of the final half of the crossing.

Mike

Also a point Jake has made in this thread yet he has been accused of cheating.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: David Ingram] #257831
02/26/13 11:34 AM
02/26/13 11:34 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Green Goldfish

Is a GPS track considered admissable? At least that would show your altered course. Maybe if both boats had GPS you might be able to determine the closing distance and speed?

oh, wait... you can't use GPS in buoy stuff... Never mind.

Jay

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257856
02/27/13 08:36 AM
02/27/13 08:36 AM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Wow, all this about what's probalby the simplest rule to understand too.

Most, not all, sailors I've sailed with, or against have a great deal of integrity, and know for sure if they genuinely had to 'alter course', etc.
Usually if someone crosses ahead of you (cleanly), than it gives the crossed boat something to shoot for (pun not intended) on the next cross or mark rounding.

To me it's simple (LOL), if I'm S, and I had to alter course, I HAVE to hail protest if I expect them to do a circle.

If I'm P, and it looked TOO close and they altered some, etc., I do the cirle- part of the game.

It's about integrity of the self, the spirit.

There has been alot of great discussion here, by alot of very experienced skippers.

Carry on

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

'Long Live the Legend of Chris Kyle'
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Todd_Sails] #257857
02/27/13 09:25 AM
02/27/13 09:25 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Just Todd
Wow, all this about what's probalby the simplest rule to understand too.

Most, not all, sailors I've sailed with, or against have a great deal of integrity, and know for sure if they genuinely had to 'alter course', etc.
Usually if someone crosses ahead of you (cleanly), than it gives the crossed boat something to shoot for (pun not intended) on the next cross or mark rounding.

To me it's simple (LOL), if I'm S, and I had to alter course, I HAVE to hail protest if I expect them to do a circle.

If I'm P, and it looked TOO close and they altered some, etc., I do the cirle- part of the game.

It's about integrity of the self, the spirit.

There has been alot of great discussion here, by alot of very experienced skippers.

Carry on

Go get'em Mark.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257858
02/27/13 09:27 AM
02/27/13 09:27 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

For a one-on-one situation, in the situation you just described, I agree with you 100%.

My only issue comes when there was clearly no chance P would make the cross, or any time multiple boats are involved, that would result in P gaining an advantage by crossing instead of ducking the parade. Both of those situations start to smell of Rule 2.

Mike

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: brucat] #257860
02/27/13 09:58 AM
02/27/13 09:58 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
And in that situaton if anyone feels rule 2 was violated... protest. Like it or not arbitrage (risk management) is very much a part of the game... any game!

If it means anything and I'm sure it doesn't, it's been my experience that the game is run pretty clean on the course even when the douchebag factor is significantly high. This stuff is small potatos boys. I'd be thrilled if I could work the scales without a pro sailor walking up with his soaking wet boat expecting to get weighed. Then instead of getting belligerent just walk away when he is told his boat isn't getting weighed today. Or, when a group of sailors stick a garden hose down their snuffer sock to soak their spinnakers before they come to the scales. Bullsh!t like that should earn them a ticket home IMO.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257863
02/27/13 10:54 AM
02/27/13 10:54 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

More excellent points...

Mike

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: David Ingram] #257864
02/27/13 11:19 AM
02/27/13 11:19 AM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Originally Posted by David Ingram
I'd be thrilled if I could work the scales without a pro sailor walking up with his soaking wet boat expecting to get weighed. Then instead of getting belligerent just walk away when he is told his boat isn't getting weighed today. Or, when a group of sailors stick a garden hose down their snuffer sock to soak their spinnakers before they come to the scales.

If you witness such behavior, please report it to the protest committee. If PC believes that a competitor may have committed gross misconduct (and I would consider attempting to subvert the weighing procedure to constitute gross misconduct), then it may call a hearing under RRS 69. Trust me, nobody enjoys being involved in a rule 69 hearing.

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: David Ingram] #257865
02/27/13 11:25 AM
02/27/13 11:25 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
And in that situaton if anyone feels rule 2 was violated... protest. Like it or not arbitrage (risk management) is very much a part of the game... any game!

I agree... about managing risk in the game.
I agree with Jeff about using the rules as part of the game.
I continue to make the point that arbitraging the rules is wrong. We agree the recourse is to PROTEST....(but if the sailors' mindset is that all of the rules are to be pushed... it will be ugly)
I agree with Todd's simple statement and emphasize the need to protest

If it means anything and I'm sure it doesn't, it's been my experience that the game is run pretty clean on the course even when the douchebag factor is significantly high. This stuff is small potatos boys. I'd be thrilled if I could work the scales without a pro sailor walking up with his soaking wet boat expecting to get weighed. Then instead of getting belligerent just walk away when he is told his boat isn't getting weighed today. Or, when a group of sailors stick a garden hose down their snuffer sock to soak their spinnakers before they come to the scales. Bullsh!t like that should earn them a ticket home IMO.

And the only solution is to protest... and then for everyone adminsitering the game to grow a pair and toss a few offenders.... AND then send it up the chain to USSA or ISAF. I have also seen how hard that is for even the most experienced race officers with hard proof to go ahead and pull that trigger....

So... it's not easy by any means....

Arbitraging the rules... whether its port pushing the line on starbord... or soaking your spin sock... has a begining somewhere in your sailing career... IMO... it starts on the water and then extends over time to the crap you speak of.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Isotope235] #257866
02/27/13 11:28 AM
02/27/13 11:28 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
You can count on it my friend!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Isotope235] #257867
02/27/13 11:34 AM
02/27/13 11:34 AM
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the Water
Originally Posted by Isotope42
I'd be thrilled if I could work the scales without a pro sailor walking up with his soaking wet boat expecting to get weighed. Then instead of getting belligerent just walk away when he is told his boat isn't getting weighed today. Or, when a group of sailors stick a garden hose down their snuffer sock to soak their spinnakers before they come to the scales.

If you witness such behavior, please report it to the protest committee. If PC believes that a competitor may have committed gross misconduct (and I would consider attempting to subvert the weighing procedure to constitute gross misconduct), then it may call a hearing under RRS 69. Trust me, nobody enjoys being involved in a rule 69 hearing.

I'm with you Ding.

I've done my share of weigh-ins and it amazes me the arrogance and crap that sailors try to pull off and then claim ignorance as a defense. Like, leaving wrenches (as in several) in the hulls, or weighing in with hydration backpacks full of liquid, or two jibs rolled up together, etc.

Tossing a team sure would make an example for the others.

Philip
USA #1006
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: David Ingram] #257870
02/27/13 12:44 PM
02/27/13 12:44 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Or, when a group of sailors stick a garden hose down their snuffer sock to soak their spinnakers before they come to the scales. Bullsh!t like that should earn them a ticket home IMO.

THAT's dirty rotten. Rule 69 territory.

Jake Kohl
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 305 guests, and 94 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022