11/25/03 09:49 PM
11/25/03 09:49 PM
South Florida
SOMA Offline OP
enthusiast
SOMA  Offline OP
enthusiast

South Florida
Excuse the very amateur sailing question but I'm learning as I go.
in what direction is it best to sail in choppy waters? Parallel to the waves ,perpendicular to them, or at an angle to them?? These last two sundays I went sailing off the beach in Hollywood, Florida. Last sunday was brutal trying to get through the breakers (wind blowing onshore) and when I finally got out it was like riding a wild buck out there. When I pointed the cat more to winward (and the direction of the waves) it was a little more fun because it felt like I was really crashing through the waves. way too much movement though. when I turned the cat to go more parallel to the wave direction I picked up more speed but movement of the hulls as the wave passed through made it feel like it was going to flip over all the time. anyway it was way too rough for me out there so I went back to shore. Anybody out there go sailing off the beach in the fort lauderdale area these last two weeks who could tell me if they also thought it was too choppy out there?

Fred F (ex Hobie 18)
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Choppy water sailing question [Re: SOMA] #26482
11/25/03 11:11 PM
11/25/03 11:11 PM
League City, TX
flumpmaster Offline
addict
flumpmaster  Offline
addict

League City, TX
My ideas (evolved after a few mishaps):

For getting out of breakers with an on-shore wind my favorite technique is to sheet the jib tight and leave the main loose. The rudders will probably not be locked down yet, and if you sheet the main tight you will have severe weather helm - not very welcome when you are trying to concentrate on the waves.

I aim into each wave at about 40 degrees off perpendicular. The wave then pushes the nose of the cat off the wind a bit, but you have time to steer up a little before the next wave hits. Don't steer up into the wind too much or you'll go into irons - which is the last thing you want to do. Once you are past the breakers then you can think about tacking etc.

I sail in Galveston bay which gets very choppy in high wind because it is shallow (wave periods of around 2 seconds). I much prefer bigger waves offshore with a longer period (say 7 seconds). Going to weather in short chop I move my weight back a little to stop the hulls digging in.

My favorite course when sailing in the rough stuff is downwind on a broad reach. Nothing beats surfing your cat down the face of an 8ft breaking wave! Just watch out for digging the bows into the back of the wave in front if you are carrying too much speed.

For tacking in severe chop I backwind the jib a little to ensure the tack is succesfuly completed.

Chris

Dave Ingram is my president. tcdyc rules
Re: Choppy water sailing question [Re: flumpmaster] #26483
11/25/03 11:34 PM
11/25/03 11:34 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
going downwind in following seas can be a bit tricky for a noobie. When I started sailing in the stuff, I'd be afraid my bows would bury themselves while reaching, so I'd bear off more DDW. Problem is, in following seas, that will put your bows directly into the back of the wave. The trick is to play the sheet a bit and depower while you're bearing down, and DON'T heat it up until you're on top of the wave again

Re: Choppy water sailing question [Re: MauganN20] #26484
11/26/03 12:15 AM
11/26/03 12:15 AM
League City, TX
flumpmaster Offline
addict
flumpmaster  Offline
addict

League City, TX
Good advice there - I agree - easing the sheet before you stuff into the back of a wave is essential to staying out of trouble.

I've just remembered a great gybing technique from Rick White's excellent book 'Cat Sailing for the 90's':

When gybing in heavy air as the boom begins to come across head the boat down wind a little - this stops the boom swinging so violently. It's a good technique for heavy air (which tends to go with big chop).

Chris.

Dave Ingram is my president. tcdyc rules
Re: Choppy water sailing question [Re: SOMA] #26485
11/26/03 02:25 PM
11/26/03 02:25 PM
Neb
flounder Offline
enthusiast
flounder  Offline
enthusiast

Neb
It kind of depends on the boat. Nacra 5.7 or a Hobie Getaway, woth with lots of bouancy, are better with the current / waves. H16 I'd say 45degress against the waves / current.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 623 guests, and 108 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022