09/26/18 12:10 PM
Crofton, MD
Chris9 Offline OP
old hand
Chris9  Offline OP
old hand

Crofton, MD
Will there be a 2018 Steeplechase?

Sorry, I've been away from the forum for a while. Life, sailing, teenagers turning into adults...

Last edited by Damon Linkous; 11/02/18 12:09 PM.

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: 2018 Steeplechase - December 8-9 [Re: Chris9] #288926
09/28/18 11:30 AM
09/28/18 11:30 AM
Memphis, Tennessee
Damon Linkous Offline

enthusiast
Damon Linkous  Offline

enthusiast

Memphis, Tennessee
We have date for the Steeplechase. It is December 8 & 9, 2018.

General info is at https://www.sailseriespromotions.com/races/steeplechase/ and details, NoR and 2018 Sailing Instructions are being prepared.

Start and finish will be at the Upper Keys Sailing Club in Key Largo, FL.

Watch the SSPUSA website and Facebook for updates.

Re: 2018 Steeplechase - December 8-9 [Re: Damon Linkous] #288930
10/01/18 11:45 AM
10/01/18 11:45 AM
Crofton, MD
Chris9 Offline OP
old hand
Chris9  Offline OP
old hand

Crofton, MD
Thank you!

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org
Re: 2018 Steeplechase - December 8-9 [Re: Chris9] #288931
10/01/18 08:23 PM
10/01/18 08:23 PM
Memphis, Tennessee
Damon Linkous Offline

enthusiast
Damon Linkous  Offline

enthusiast

Memphis, Tennessee
Thanks to help and cooperation from the Upper Keys Sailing Club, the 2018 Rick White Memorial Steeplechase is ON!

Who's in?

Info, notice of race, and online registration at

https://www.sailseriespromotions.com/races/steeplechase/

Pic from the 2008 race, who can you ID?

[Linked Image]

Re: 2018 Steeplechase - December 8-9 [Re: Chris9] #288968
11/02/18 12:11 PM
11/02/18 12:11 PM
Memphis, Tennessee
Damon Linkous Offline

enthusiast
Damon Linkous  Offline

enthusiast

Memphis, Tennessee
Registration for the Rick White Memorial Steeplechase Catamaran Race is now open.

Please register early and pay online to make it easier for the organizers.

https://www.sailseriespromotions.com/races/steeplechase/

Re: 2018 Steeplechase - December 8-9 [Re: Chris9] #288989
11/19/18 03:38 PM
11/19/18 03:38 PM
Memphis, Tennessee
Damon Linkous Offline

enthusiast
Damon Linkous  Offline

enthusiast

Memphis, Tennessee
The Steeplechase is in danger of being cancelled for 2018 since there is only one team registered so far ( Thanks Dick MacDonald with Turtle Mojo! ) so if you plan to race please register right away and don't let this race fade away.

The Florida Keys in December! Wish I could come down from dreary Memphis where winter means dark and rainy.

https://www.sailseriespromotions.com/races/steeplechase/2018-steeplechase-registration/

Re: 2018 Steeplechase - December 8-9 [Re: Chris9] #288999
11/21/18 12:09 PM
11/21/18 12:09 PM
Texas
T
TexasTuma Offline
TexasTuma  Offline
T

Texas
I wish I could race and give them a run for their money, but it may have to be next year.

Cheers...
Scott Tuma
P 18-2 Mod Turbo "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
Re: 2018 Steeplechase - December 8-9 [Re: Chris9] #289015
12/10/18 10:27 PM
12/10/18 10:27 PM
Tavernier
P
PeteNicoletti Offline
stranger
PeteNicoletti  Offline
stranger
P

Tavernier
Hi Cat Sailors, This is my first post. I was the last one to register for the steeple chase and participated on a Hobie 16, the "Unsinkable II." The race organizers needed 6 entries to keep the race going....and my friends talked me into signing up. I've never raced before and my Hobie had not done any sailing for years! My colleagues on the "Swizzle" sailed a Hobie 16 Wave. I had a blast and I will do this again next year! We need more participants! The other racers were very nice and the club is very friendly. I got 2 DNF's because of a broken rudder, really bad hull leaks and lack of skill...but I WILL be ready to be competitive next year! Please come visit us in the Florida Keys!

Re: 2018 Steeplechase - December 8-9 [Re: PeteNicoletti] #289016
12/11/18 11:36 AM
12/11/18 11:36 AM
Memphis, Tennessee
Damon Linkous Offline

enthusiast
Damon Linkous  Offline

enthusiast

Memphis, Tennessee
Originally Posted by PeteNicoletti
Hi Cat Sailors, This is my first post. I was the last one to register for the steeple chase and participated on a Hobie 16, the "Unsinkable II."

Hey Pete, Thanks for your efforts! You have to start somewhere LOL and I'm really glad you enjoyed the experience despite the problems.

You live in paradise for year round sailing so while most of us are hunkered down for the winter you can be developing skills.

I'm on the board of SSPUSA and do their website and Facebook, I don't have any pictures of you or your boat (or the Getaway either), so if you have any please send them my way. It would be great to have a story from your perspective about the weekend.

If you haven't seen their website, the results article is at https://www.sailseriespromotions.com/2018-rick-white-memorial-steeplechase/

You can contact me by email at damon AT CatSailor DOT com

Re: 2018 Steeplechase - December 8-9 [Re: PeteNicoletti] #289020
12/12/18 11:49 AM
12/12/18 11:49 AM
West Palm, Florida
G
Grandude Offline
Grandude  Offline
G

West Palm, Florida
Pete,

On behalf of everyone who sailed the Steeplechase this year, thanks for showing up and getting out there! I sure had my doubts this race would survive. I hope you can find your way to the start line again next year. I recommend you look into the Miami Key Largo Race in April for more distance type racing. Also a 2 day event and can be an epic sail.

Merry Christmas

Dick Macdonald
Turtle Mojo
F18

Re: 2018 Steeplechase - December 8-9 [Re: Chris9] #289021
12/12/18 12:06 PM
12/12/18 12:06 PM
West Palm, Florida
G
Grandude Offline
Grandude  Offline
G

West Palm, Florida

2018 Rick White Steeplechase

Big thanks to Warren Green and the Upper Keys Sailing Club for making the 2018 Steeplechase possible. While not an epic year it was some great sailing and new faces joined the ranks. The course was on the bay side both days. First day UKSC NE to Card Sound Bridge and back (30 miles). Wind is ESE at 12 increasing to 18 in Card Sound. Beam reach both ways. Sunny skies, 80 degrees. Second day is UKSC WSW to Marker 91 and back (38) miles. Wind is SSW at 16-18 shifting right and decreasing through the day to 12 WSW.

The big news are the records set by Larry Ferber the skipper of “Woman and Children First”. First boat to complete the Steeplechase with a (3) woman crew, (The Harem). First boat to complete the Steeplechase with a 7 year old crew member (Levi). Levi Ferber is probably the youngest crewman to complete the race at only 7 years old. All smiles before and after, and tried real hard to stay awake for the whole thing. *Napping on a Hobie 21 in the keys is very acceptable, I believe.

Before anyone gets excited about safety, in addition to Larry’s wife and son on the boat was mine and Ding’s wives who are both experienced distance cat sailors, great swimmers and wearing appropriate gear. Ding and I also kept them in sight both days ready to give assistance if required. The Tiger team actually had a chase boat along, so help really was close by. According to my wife Linda, Larry deserves the gold medal of parental patience for answering all of Levi’s inquisitive questions about sailing, the universe and many other things, all while navigating and sailing a Hobie 21 on a beam reach.

Just a quick report of each boat.

Please read this with limited seriousness, like you’re in the keys, wearing flip flops and drinking beer, frozen fruity drinks or martinis with Jake.

Hobie 16

These guys jumped into this last minute just to get enough boats to start the race. That’s honorable, thanks guys. The boat is not new, it leaks a little bit, and the crew are a little heavy for an H16. So, half way through the first day they turned back and sailed a half sunken boat back into the Club. Being from the Keys they knew their way around and were never far from the beach. (That safety thing). They get the “Duct Tape” award.

Hobie Getaway

With wings of course! These guys are the ones who convinced the H16 guys to enter the race to keep it going. Nice work boys, we’re going to need your recruiting skills and efforts next year. Bring ‘em, bring ‘em ALL! They finished the first day but somewhere during the second day they got too close to home. I think the beer in the fridge, the barbecue or the hot shower called them to retire. It was good to have them and hope to see them again next year.

Sooner or later this race will be held with a Wave class. I just have a feeling. Brett… are you listening?

The Tiger

What happens when you put 2 monohull sailors, a guy who builds America’s Cup boats and a 30 something female attorney from NY City on a Hobie Tiger? They’re just friends, so stop. Well they asked lots of questions, watched videos, and looked worried. They did not, fly a hull. They did not, flip the boat. They did not, kill each other. And they did not get lost. But they did sail the boat very well and finished in very respectable time. Remember, they sailed through the creeks, under bridges and over flats. Well done. As for new faces I hope we see them and more like them at future Steeplechase races.

Hobie 21

What else can I say? Larry borrowed this boat to race and we all helped get it rigged up and ready. He sailed a course that many recreational sailors would not and he did it with 3 gals and his 7 year old son. He must really like sailing! They all did a great job and made a focal point for the whole race. Larry is a driving force to keep the race going and is a shining example of personal endurance and keeping your cool. My hat is off to the skipper and the entire crew of Women and Children First.

Cirrus F18

Being the only modern boat in the fleet, and the only team that has sailed this race many times, and the only team that has sailed together many times. We should easily be able to finally get our names on the coveted plaque with all those great sailors. That’s the problem. What if we do something stupid and don’t win? How will we face our peers? We’ll never live it down! Aarrgh… pressure! Such is our dilemma.

We realize and appreciate that the success of the weekend depends on everyone having a good time and going home to tell their friends what a good time they had. So we both helped out where we could with rigging boats and sharing our ideas of sailing the flats and creeks. We sailed fast but stayed in sight of the H21 for safety and kept teasing the Tiger to sheet in. Being an attorney probably means she's smart, smart enough to not listen to us.
Card Sound had good breeze on the beam so we had to go fast across that. Great fun! The dog leg channel before the bridge was a broad reach so it was even faster with lots of spray. We made sure the H21 and Tiger got through ok and then went screaming back toward Gilbert's and all the way to UKSC. Finished first day, didn’t do anything stupid.

Did you ever have a little thing on the boat that you should have fixed but didn’t because there’s a work around that normally works? After helping everyone else get there mains hooked and pushed off the beach, we couldn’t get our main hooked. “I know why, I got this”. By the time we pushed off the beach we were 15 minutes behind the fleet. We knew we could catch everyone but both wondered if that was the “stupid thing”.
Having previously volunteered to lead the way across the flats we caught up and started doing just that. Went really well until we sailed double trapped into knee deep water. Boat stopped, we slid forward to the bows and stood up on the bottom. Ding calmly declared, “there goes our credibility”.

The three boats played follow the leader to Mark 91 and turned to head back. Wind was easing and shifting right, it was all downwind from here. We played high flying spin run and sailed twice the distance the Tiger did by going really deep like a big boat. The 21 also ran deep with sails wing n wing. Not very often you can just run down wind for a couple hours in flat water and only set the hull down to jibe. And, I had the whole place to myself! Miles of open water, blue and flat, sunshine, good breeze, and a sailing club with cold beer at the end. I personally believe that I have my priorities straight.

With only a few miles and one more cut to go, that nagging conversation came up again. “Let’s not do anything stupid”! We did not, do anything stupid, we finished in great form under spinnaker and flying a hull. We, are now part of those elite sailors who have their names proudly displayed on that varnished piece of wood. Of course next year some of those guys will return and put us back in our place.

Awards ceremony was perfect, on the porch with some pizza and cold beer from the bar. All that’s left is to thank everyone for showing up, including Jake and Kenny and Dana who all promised to race next year. Thanks again Joel / UKSC, Warren, Toni, Damen from SSPUSA for posting pics and stories, John for being the chase boat, and anyone else who helped, watched or saw us go by and said “hey that looks cool”!

Thanks for reading and please support your local Steeplechase Sailors.

F18
Turtle Mojo
Dick Macdonald
Dave Ingram

Re: 2018 Steeplechase - December 8-9 [Re: Chris9] #289024
12/14/18 11:16 AM
12/14/18 11:16 AM
Solomon's Island, MD
S
samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD
Dick,

Would you be okay if I posted this on the US F18 class homepage?

Thanks,
Sam

Scorpion F18
Re: 2018 Steeplechase - December 8-9 [Re: samc99us] #289025
12/14/18 06:13 PM
12/14/18 06:13 PM
West Palm, Florida
G
Grandude Offline
Grandude  Offline
G

West Palm, Florida
By all means. Since it was just 2 boats i didn't think of that.

If you would like to mention, there seems to be interest in doing the whole trip around in one day next year. The old course, NE to Angelfish and down the ocean side to channel 5. Back to the start for the finish. 110 miles. Not for everyone so the short course will be available too. I'll stoke the fire this year and see what happens. But i think it will.

Hope to see you there.

Dick

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 424 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022