Re: Nice drawings are not necessarily sound design [Re: Luiz] #30273
03/22/04 09:25 PM
03/22/04 09:25 PM
D
davidtilley Offline
davidtilley  Offline
D

Let us try and define what we are arguing about:
Engineering is the effort to use disciplines to define a process or device to perform a specific function.
Drafting is the communication of this process or device to people skilled in the production of the device or execution of this process.
My opinion.
As a communication tool, irrelevant information is bad. A 10 second hand sketch is just as good as a 15 minute 3d rendering if they communicate the information, and nothing more.
I'd rate the biggest advantage of computers as their ability to re-do, modify and repeat. Not dazzle you with BS.
No old fuddy duddy prejudice here. But I insist on efficiency. By whatever means.
Use whatever works quickest for your end result.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Nice drawings are not necessarily sound design [Re: davidtilley] #30274
03/23/04 09:05 AM
03/23/04 09:05 AM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Thanks for the excelent summary. Fast and efficient drafting tools help the engineering process. Both are necessary, but one does not replace the other.
Cheers,

Luiz
Re: Nice drawings are not necessarily sound design [Re: davidtilley] #30275
03/23/04 10:20 AM
03/23/04 10:20 AM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA

I agree with Dave. Being from the old school I designed everything on the board, not a computer. The computer just made more scenarios possible in a shorter time.

I also agree that IF I was smarter than everyone else I could show you all up too!!

Clayton

Re: Nice drawings are not necessarily sound design [Re: davidtilley] #30276
03/23/04 10:41 AM
03/23/04 10:41 AM
Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Seeker Offline
addict
Seeker  Offline
addict

Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
David…After learning the AutoDesk Inventor 7 Software…I would have to disagree with you to a point…there is no way a two dimensional pencil sketch is going to communicated a complex three dimensional object as effectively as a 3 dimensional parametric modeling program. To be able to rotate an object and look at it from any angle, to be able to display it as a opaque surface, or translucent surface, the possibilities are endless…And you end up with a fully functional scaled drawing that can be easily modified (as you pointed out) not a freehand sketch that will have to be redrawn to scale. Much, if not all the tooling trial and error is eliminated. Individual objects can be created, fitted together, and animated to check for correct interaction and fit before it ever comes off the computer screen. If the program is used correctly it will flag, and block you from continuing an error. You will have to correct the entry error before continuing, or defeat this feature, in order to move forward.

For someone who has drawn with conventional drawing instruments all my life, I can say without a doubt that “exploring the possibilities” with CAD makes things so much faster and precise, that one can hardly equate the two. The resistance seems to come from the fact that in every college level CAD class I have ever taken, there is always two or three high school kids that smoke every one in there ability to grasp the concept of CAD and execute the drawings. I had one 50-year-old guy kiddingly say he would like to break the fingers of the little 17-year-old girl at the station next to him, her hands were a blur and she had the complex 3D assignment done before he had 5% of his finished.

Well...Back to the custom house plan I am drawing for a client…with a pencil…ahhh…if I could afford a copy of Auto Cad I would have been done days ago…it was either the Cat or the software…LOL...what can I say?

Bob

Re: Nice drawings are not necessarily sound design [Re: Seeker] #30277
03/23/04 12:43 PM
03/23/04 12:43 PM
Baton Rouge, LA
Dean Offline
enthusiast
Dean  Offline
enthusiast

Baton Rouge, LA
$4,000 for Autocad. It's insane for one poor draftsman but dirt cheap in the long run. If you can find a job that is a long run these days.

Re: Nice drawings are not necessarily sound design [Re: Dean] #30278
03/23/04 06:55 PM
03/23/04 06:55 PM
D
davidtilley Offline
davidtilley  Offline
D

Nobody said solids modeling wasn't great. If all you need is a pencil sketch, do it. If the job is a long one, that ties in with other structure, you had better not throw good money after bad. So start drawing it in cad. If you need to dazzle some fool, you would be best in 3d rendering, but most times the 3d line drawing (on computer)does all I need to communicate with a customer, or check an installation, pull off items for fabrication etc. If I have a bent section,(like skew ductwork) I'll make it easy on myself and connect the dots, before unfolding it into a flat plate!
The same goes for views. Use traditional views if that works. I'll do a 3d and slap it in the corner so the fitter gets up to speed quicker if it is cost effective (Does it save enough of his time to justify mine?)
Incidentally, CADKEY has a better package that is not write protected anymore. A true 3d.

Re: Nice drawings are not necessarily sound design [Re: davidtilley] #30279
03/24/04 09:33 PM
03/24/04 09:33 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
well I got creative, and bored after work today and put some more touches on the trailer, then did a motion capture, which is crappy quality but gives you a better perspective.

Don't worry about the hulls, I only made them to rough tornado dimensions, not like I'm gonna use that as a basis for a mold :P

http://www.ncsailing.org/TRAILERASSEM.avi

(2 meg download, DivX 5.1 codec required)

Re: Nice drawings are not necessarily sound design [Re: davidtilley] #30280
04/01/04 10:10 AM
04/01/04 10:10 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve_Kwiksilver Offline
addict
Steve_Kwiksilver  Offline
addict

Cape Town, South Africa
Wow, I never knew there were so many cat-sailors who use Cad of some sorts, nice to know I`m in good company !
Good arguments from both sides, I agree with both parties - You can use Cad to automatically update models & calculate all sorts of things easily, but you have to know what the numbers mean & how to interpret whether what you`ve designed will be a good design or a dog.
There seems to be heaps of knowledge within this thread - I`m hoping to tap into some of it. Like some of you, I`d love to model sailboats in Cad(for fun only), I work on Autocad & have done solid modelling for architecture, but no mesh modelling yet. I`ve drawn up simple bulkhead frames and would like to "join them together" to form a mesh, for lack of a better description, anybody know how to do this in Autocad ? I`ve tried "ruled surface" but it only lets you use two curves to create the mesh, and not 10 or so that you would typically use in a hull shape. I`ve seen 3dMax used to do what I want, but I`d like to master Autocad 3d more before I move onto greater things.
I`ve found this thread to be informative & confrontational, two of the best ingredients - we`d have nothing to discuss if we all agreed.
Attached is an reception area I did in Autocad, off topic.

Regards
Steve

Attached Files
32036-pp8.jpg (60 downloads)
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Seanziepop), 676 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022