08/07/04 07:18 PM
08/07/04 07:18 PM
H
HeyDanno Offline OP
stranger
HeyDanno  Offline OP
stranger
H

I sympathize with 'jfint'. I too lost a wheel bearing on my 'new-to-me' Prindle 19 trailer when towing my cat back from the seller's home.

Of course, being my first trailer I didn't know anything about wheel bearings or what to check for. Fortunately for me... the wheel bearing burnt up and imploded JUST 1 block from my home! But (and this is a BIG but - no pun intended) that was AFTER towing the thing over 1,000 MILES from Northern CA to Seattle!!! What are the odds?? The good Lord was definitely looking out for me that time. Immediately afterward I learned everything (I think) I need to know about my trailer wheel bearings. I bought all new hubs, bearings and even wheels at $200+ dollars. Then I tore the old stuff apart and took photos of every step of the rebuild process (which I hope to post online with a tutorial some day).

I think the key for a newbie is: if you don't know anything about wheel bearings and you're going to pick up a new boat... AT LEAST buy a grease gun and fill up the bearing buddies with grease. If the trailer does not have bearing buddies (mine did not) run to the boat store on your way to the seller's home and BUY two bearing buddies and a grease gun. Install them on the spot and squirt your bearings full of grease.

In my case (although I was really upset at the time) I was very, VERY fortunate. The catch 22 is that... most novice boat owners know NOTHING about trailer bearings. The only way most learn is only after one burns up on them tragically.

Sincerely,
-Dan

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: NEAR Prindle 19 tragedy [Re: HeyDanno] #36498
08/07/04 07:42 PM
08/07/04 07:42 PM
Simi Valley, CA
jfint Offline
enthusiast
jfint  Offline
enthusiast

Simi Valley, CA
Wow, I don't think that I've ever towed a light trailer more that about 500mi. Horse trailer yeah, but that is a completely differnet deal, with more complex hubs(though not that much more), and brakes. If you go that far to pick up a trailer you should deffinately take some bearing grease and re-pak that bearing, its super, super easy on littel trailers if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, and if your uncomfortable any tire store will do it fore pretty cheap. I've been checking around, and since even after the wreck my bearing was still good, no one has been able to tell me how to check for what went wrong with mine, only thing to say is make sure that there are no obvious cracks in the hub casting.

I hope everyone with busted boats gets the running soon, I hope to put mine back together this saturday(not today) and get it back in the water on sunday. With an luck, I'll have it tunned up in time to go to a reggatta in Santa barabara the followign weekend. But hey we'll see.

Anyone going to that Wine & Roses reggatta in Santa Barbara???

Josh Fint Prindle 19 "Accident Prone" Moro Bay Sailing
Re: NEAR Prindle 19 tragedy [Re: jfint] #36499
08/08/04 10:50 AM
08/08/04 10:50 AM
Colorado
SteveT Offline
enthusiast
SteveT  Offline
enthusiast

Colorado
I had the berrings on my trailer disintegrate on the way to Hobie Mega Nationals from Colorado. I stopped at a tiny gas station in Pig Fart, Arkansas and while making a trip around the trailer noticed the hub resting on the bare axle - not good. It was pouring rain and I had visions of leaving the boat and driving around for hours looking for a place to fix it. As I stood there getting wet and looking around in desperation, I spotted a big blue building 200 yards away with a big sign that said, "Truck and Trailer Repair." It was my lucky day. Three hours later I had all new berrings and was standing on a sunny beach in Ft. Walton

H-20 #896
Re: NEAR Prindle 19 tragedy [Re: HeyDanno] #36500
08/08/04 12:47 PM
08/08/04 12:47 PM
H
HeyDanno Offline OP
stranger
HeyDanno  Offline OP
stranger
H

I think maybe I sounded kind of preachy by inferring that most people don't know anything about trailer bearings and that bearings are usually always the problem, etc., etc.

Oh well. There is one thing I am sure about though: I certainly didn't know anything! lol

Re: NEAR Prindle 19 tragedy [Re: HeyDanno] #36501
08/08/04 12:52 PM
08/08/04 12:52 PM
Simi Valley, CA
jfint Offline
enthusiast
jfint  Offline
enthusiast

Simi Valley, CA
Likewise I think I sounded defensive, sorry Danno, I was honestly just continueing the conversation because like I said I think I had a pretty rare thingy happen.

Something I just thought of, I think that I said in an earlier thread that I thought rollers instead of craddles were OK. Well I have to take that back, most of the damage done to my hull was at the roller, even the wheel hitting the hull did less damage. I have craddles in the front and rollers in the back right now. I think I will be replacing the rollers wiht good craddles as soon as I get the chance.

Re: NEAR Prindle 19 tragedy [Re: jfint] #36502
08/08/04 05:52 PM
08/08/04 05:52 PM
H
HeyDanno Offline OP
stranger
HeyDanno  Offline OP
stranger
H

I learned (the hard way of course) that my cradles work best when they actually have some carpet on them! Boy did I put a big nick in one hull trying to slide it up onto a bare metal cradle. Ouch. Totally my fault of course. My dumb little mistakes often irritate me more than the big ones.

At least with a BIG mistake you always have an interesting story to tell.

Re: NEAR Prindle 19 tragedy [Re: HeyDanno] #36503
08/09/04 03:47 PM
08/09/04 03:47 PM
Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
dacarls Offline
old hand
dacarls  Offline
old hand

Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
A new A-cat sailor has quite rough rubbed spots in the white gelcoat from all 4 cradles on his new boat. He is not happy.
The short pile stock carpet on these cradles was apparently very tough stuff: put soft (yellowish) polyurethane foam sheets in between, or canvas or ???? Please Use Something!

Dacarls:
A-class USA 196, USA 21, H18, H16
"Nothing that's any good works by itself. You got to make the damn thing work"- Thomas Edison
Re: NEAR Prindle 19 tragedy [Re: dacarls] #36504
08/09/04 09:37 PM
08/09/04 09:37 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
The "marine" carpet (intended for use inside of boats) works great on cradles. Soft, supple, and water proof it will be supporting my new F18 as soon as I finish my new cradles. Available at a home improvement store near you.

Jake Kohl
Re: NEAR Prindle 19 tragedy [Re: HeyDanno] #36505
08/12/04 01:05 PM
08/12/04 01:05 PM
Vancouver, BC
Tornado Offline
veteran
Tornado  Offline
veteran

Vancouver, BC
When I sold my old SC tornado to a guy from Vancouver, BC, he drove down to Los Angeles to collect it. I took the trailer in to a trailer place the day before his arrival and paid ~$100 for completely new bearings/hubs, installed! At that price, why bother doing the work yourself!

Mike.

Mike Dobbs
Tornado CAN 99 "Full Tilt"
Re: NEAR Prindle 19 tragedy [Re: Tornado] #36506
08/15/04 10:17 AM
08/15/04 10:17 AM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
The previous owner of my F-27 had done about $1K worth of work to the trailer, and the tires (four plus spare) looked perfectly fine, so I figured he had replaced them or at least they were recent.

I paid a delivery guy to trailer the boat from Florida to Maryland for me. It turned out the tires were old but with little wear to the tread. The trailer blew tires all the way up the coast. Each time added to the delivery cost. After the first one blew I should have told the delivery guy to replace them all at the first chance, but for some reason it didn't occur to me. He said he had thought of it but didn't mention it because he thought I think he was trying to bilk me.

Fortunately no damage to the boat or trailer, but it did drive home a point - trailer tires may look fine, but you have to know their age. They rot just sitting around...

Re: NEAR Prindle 19 tragedy [Re: Keith] #36507
08/15/04 01:01 PM
08/15/04 01:01 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Tires do have a date stamp on them and you can expect them to be reliable only 5-7 years. I found this to be true on my RV (at 6 years old but great tread, I kept loosing tires).

Jake Kohl
Re: NEAR Prindle 19 tragedy [Re: Jake] #36508
08/16/04 11:42 AM
08/16/04 11:42 AM
Simi Valley, CA
jfint Offline
enthusiast
jfint  Offline
enthusiast

Simi Valley, CA
The prindle got in the water this weekend, unfortunately, while some of you were having a hurricane, I was getting very light wind. Just barely got the hull out once, and didn't get to trap out, but I did get to sail my boat!! It deffinately feels different from the Ncaras. i was considering racing it this coming weekend, but now i think that I will take some time to get used too it, and take a weekend off from boating to spend soem more time with my fiance. I've been driving up and down the coast the last two or three weekends trying to get parts and get things repaired.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Seanziepop), 676 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022