10/21/04 10:44 AM
10/21/04 10:44 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
Finally I found some time to work on some long overdue website thingy's.

Finding addition webspace and transferrates was the first priority and with the xs4all account we have found that now. Now we have enough space and bandwidth to offer video's online. Still for NO extra burden on our class budget. I think this is something that we all must realize.

All that is done by the class is currently done WITHOUT having membership fees or donations. For over 3 years now every enthousiast can use the class structure and become a member free of charge. This is quite an achievement for which we really need to thank :

Phill Brander (As the Australia representative; Organised the NSW F16 states)
Tim Sheppard and Gary Maskiel (For organising the Vic F16 states)
Kirt Simmons / Jennifer Lindsay as the US representatives and organisers of the US events; several already

Scott McCook (Asia, soon to deliver a whole new extension to the class and class websites)
Eric Poulsen / John Medzig / Paul Kilkenny (For their efforts in composing the F16 promo video of which we have now seen some teasers)

Geert Ruesink For helping out with respect to the F16 handicaps and the first try at providing video streams.

And various others along the way.

Some of these have put personal money into making things happen.

A big thanks to everyone !

And a very special thank you from me personally. You guys made a great idea actually happen. 1 person can have a great
idea but without many others working on expanding it, a still born it will be.

So what is new with respect to the website ?

-1-

Website itself wasa so tight in the free geocities account that I couldn't update it anymore. There wasn't any room for a single picture. Also putting a video footage on their would bring down the website regulary because of bandwidth problems. Right now we linked up the geocities website with other webspaces to form a cluster that distributes the load and expands the total webspace.

-2- We now have the functionality of REAL webadresses. Try these !

www.formula16.org (same result as using formula16.org )
forum.formula16.org (neat huh !)
test.formula16.org (our test site)

How about these :

mosquito.formula16.org
taipan.formula16.org
stealth.formula16.org
blade.formula16.org

Talking about clustering the F16 resources under one banner, smart huh ? In the future we hope to make use of the following webadress as well :

aus.formula16.org (not active yet)
eu.formula16.org (not active yet)
us.formula16.org (not active yet)
sa.formula16.org (not active yet)
asia.formula16.org (not active yet)

Of course we also have our own .com adress

www.formula16.com and formula16.com

-3-

I have received the offer of one F16 enthousiast to help me spice up the Formula 16 website. I've seen his asian website already and that one looks the part convincingly. You guys just have to wait a little longer before it is publized but it is worth the wait.

-4-

And all this for FREE. At least up till now. With our expanding activities come costs. Soon enough we'll have to pay for certain features as we are growing beyond the size that free offers can accomodate. Paying for it will also remove the pesky banners and advertisements. Most cost items are in the range of 20-50 US$. We can so a whole lot for very little. We may have to start a discussion on how to create income without losing our free and low threshold entry to new members. But this is something for another post.

But for now things are definately on the up

Regards,

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
--Advertisement--
Re: Formula 16 webadresses.... NEW ! and some comment [Re: Wouter] #39307
10/21/04 01:09 PM
10/21/04 01:09 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
Very nice!! Cant wait to see the finished site.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (TimTT), 603 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022