Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nacra 52 and Fear Factor #39427
10/27/04 01:23 PM
10/27/04 01:23 PM
dickcnacra52 Offline OP
dickcnacra52  Offline OP

I've been away from the forum for several months now due to moving issues. But in the past a number of N 5.2 racers helped me with many new guy questions. I have kind of a loaded one for all of you with this note. I had a Hobie FX owner tell me that now after a year of single handing it he was getting over his fear of flipping and was comfortable with the boat. I'd never heard anyone be that candid. Which leads to my question. I have lots of experience in monohulls in winds to 25 and have known how to handle the main and jib and traveler so that I never flipped, even after putting a lot of rails in the water. How much of a fear factor is there with the Nacra 5.2 when single handing? Do I need to stay off the water in winds of "X and higher" where I don't know if "X" is 10 mph or 20? If it is any help in your answer - I weight under 170 and the cardiologist says I have only 7 stents in my heart so I should take it just a little easier these days, so I just really don't want to have to handle the "flip it back upright" maneuver if at all possible.

For Jake and the other Nacra 5.2 guys out there that have helped me in the past - I'd appreciate your ideas on this. No sense in my makin a total fool of myself if I can avoid it!

Dick
N5.2 - 3002

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Nacra 52 and Fear Factor [Re: dickcnacra52] #39428
10/27/04 01:54 PM
10/27/04 01:54 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Dick,

It sounds like your asking about what wind speed are you more likely to capsize. Previously I've been one of the more capsize prone skippers prior to now simply because I always pushed hard and felt that the easiest way to learn where the limit is, is to exceed it...frequently. I was never concerned about it until a few recent incedents have made me back away from the limit a little and now we're constantly one of the more stable boats on the course (all the sudden we're placing better in the results too...geee...).

Righting the boat, especially if you are trying to do so quickly, can be pretty exhausting but the most tiring part is after the technically difficult one. It becomes physical just as the boat comes upright when you grab for the dolphin striker to keep the boat from rolling back over the other way and then when you try to a) keep the boat from sailing away from you and b) get onboard as quickly as possible to stop the jib from luffing and tearing itself apart. I don't think you can ever depend on not capsizing - freak gusts or rigging or gear failure can hit you at any time and we should all be prepared for it. Barring these kind of failures, I begin to feel a little less in control and a little more at the mercy of the wind when the wind speed gets to about 18 knots. My fun level starts going down from there to where 22 knots is simply not enjoyable and is a struggle to stay upright and keep the loads low on the rigging (like mainsail luffing and mast hoola'ing).

Jake Kohl
Re: Nacra 52 and Fear Factor [Re: Jake] #39429
10/27/04 02:54 PM
10/27/04 02:54 PM
dickcnacra52 Offline OP
dickcnacra52  Offline OP

Pretty much it did - my guess was that for my weight and age that I need to either have a crew for extra hands or keep it on the shore if the winds are much over 15 and higher. This past weekend I would have had to single hand in our regatta with winds starting at 15 and running into the 20's with 2 to 3 foot white caps. I opted to watch rather than single hand. I am also presuming that IF I did opt to go out and did some dumping of the main and putting the traveler down like in a monohull that would help in keeping it upright, just like a monohull. I'll stick with your ideas on the wind speeds and I'd already determined that 25 mph means watch the younger guys! LOL! Was good to see you are still helping folks out when I checked back in to the site yesterday.

Dick

Re: Nacra 52 and Fear Factor [Re: dickcnacra52] #39430
10/27/04 03:43 PM
10/27/04 03:43 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Yeah - putting the traveler down and dumping the main are certainly prescribed upwind. In fact, upwind is not really the problem. It's when you are downwind, or transfering frmo upwind to downwind 'though the circle of death' that you become vulnerable. You can only do so much to prevent capsize in nuclear conditions whilst sailing downwind.

Jake Kohl
Re: Nacra 52 and Fear Factor [Re: Jake] #39431
10/27/04 04:27 PM
10/27/04 04:27 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't understand this fear-of-capsize thing. If you don't want to capsize, it is actually pretty easy not to. When you are racing and pushing the envelope, that's a different story. Maybe capsizing is a guy thing. Personally, as a woman, I try to avoid it.

Re: Nacra 52 and Fear Factor [Re: Mary] #39432
10/27/04 04:46 PM
10/27/04 04:46 PM
Toronto, Ontario
pitchpoledave Offline
old hand
pitchpoledave  Offline
old hand

Toronto, Ontario
Pitchpoling is Fun! Can't wait until I get to do it again (seriously)

Re: Nacra 52 and Fear Factor [Re: Mary] #39433
10/27/04 05:16 PM
10/27/04 05:16 PM
dickcnacra52 Offline OP
dickcnacra52  Offline OP

The fear of capsizing thing comes more so when the cardiologist tells you that you need to limit your physical stress to walking and not running and all that kind of junk. As a life long type A it is hard to give it all up totally, so I acquiess to his demands by making sure I can mostly avoid the trying to right the beast situation. I love speed and all that stuff, I just have to accept that there might be a bigger set of guidelines on what all I can take on than in the past. I'm looking for what that upper end of the Bell curve is without having to go test it to see that indeed it happens! When you get really old like me you too may be forced to accept that you can write the check, but maybe your body can't cash it all the time! LOL!!

Re: Nacra 52 and Fear Factor [Re: dickcnacra52] #39434
10/27/04 05:44 PM
10/27/04 05:44 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
I always worry about flipping and having an insulin reaction on the water (even though I've not had one in over 10 years as a type I diabetic)

I've never had a problem keeping my boat pointy-end up for the most part. I did have a freak wind gust auto-gybe me and death-roll me going downwind once, but I should have been doing the wild thing anyways and it wouldn't have mattered.

Live and learn.

Make sure your mast is sealed and you CAN right the boat. If it happens (and you aren't racing) just relax, take your time, once you get it up, just put her in irons for a bit while you collect your thoughts (and your breath). Reverse the rudders, travel in a bit and blast off once again.

The trick is having the confidence in your ability to right the thing. That way when it happens, you don't go into a panic.

A trick [Re: MauganN20] #39435
10/27/04 06:53 PM
10/27/04 06:53 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Get a boat that is easy to right. (unless you are stuck with that nacra 5.2)

But definately make yourself a rope ladder to make getting back on less strainious.

Hang it off the mast step pin and flip it over the mainbeam when you want the mount the baot again after being thrown.

Simple trick, does the jump, and saves you from doing a second power trick after righting the boat. 50 % reduction in heart failure risk.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: A trick [Re: Wouter] #39436
10/28/04 06:49 AM
10/28/04 06:49 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, Wouter. You just gave me a good idea for something to make to get back on my boat -- in fact, maybe two or three ideas.

Re: A trick [Re: Mary] #39437
10/28/04 07:34 AM
10/28/04 07:34 AM
B
billrob Offline
stranger
billrob  Offline
stranger
B

Hello Wouter and Mary,
You should both try climbing back onto a boat with a rope ladder. It is not as easy as you might imagine. What actually happens when you put your feet/foot/weight on a rung down in the water with your upper body against a rigid body like a beam or the side of a hull is that the ladder at your feet moves moves away from you quickly and goes under the hull or beam. Your center of gravity aligns itself with the center of support, the part of the ladder attached to the boat. Your chest and head and arms are located to the outside of the hull and your feet,legs and waist go under the hull. The lower end of the ladder approaches the horrizontal. You can't get vertical lift/push out of a horrizontal ladder. It turns into a mess and a real fight to use a rope ladder in the water. I found it easier to not use the ladder and just climb up on top of the beam/hull as best you can. A rigid ladder works fine, no problems.
Bill
PS How about the drough chute and righting the boat with the mainsail. The righter ends up on top of the tramp at the end of the process. No problem!

Last edited by billrob; 10/28/04 07:38 AM.
Re: Nacra 52 and Fear Factor [Re: dickcnacra52] #39438
10/28/04 08:32 AM
10/28/04 08:32 AM
B
brobru Offline
addict
brobru  Offline
addict
B

N5.2 Dick,

I understand your concern.

I also understand your love of sailing. So, you are asking very logical and open questions.

As for 'the flip', we have all done them. I have flipped in 5 knots of air before also In fact, this was the time the I 17 did not want to right itself! ( not enough wind to lift the sail) When I finnally agreed to have the RC boat assist me, the I 17 just slide on its side,, so it took forever to get the boat up even with powerboat help.( lifting the mast tip did not work either.

Here in the Caribbean, it is trade winds/waves 90% of the day/week/year. That would be 15-20 mph, 2-3 foot waves as normal.

I have not flipped in 2 years, and we sail/race year round. You just have to know the upper limits of your boat. Plus, I see my jib/main friends flip all the time, the Uni is kinder in this respect. In fact, when a knock-down gust come thru the course and the jib/main cats are going down,, I just throttle back knowing, that I will win that race, by just being under control and making it thru the course. I am sure you have all seem this on race day.

Here is another option, on 'big air' days, have a smaller set of sails made , to be used. This is what I did. In the last 20-mph regatta, I used the 'small' sail ( 150 sf) and the boat was a sweetheart at full throttle, never even considered a 'flip' at any time.

So, the best solution, I believe, is to 'out-think' the problem. What can I do to lower the chance of 'flipping'?

regards,
Bruce
St. Croix
USVI
I 17

ps; Is there a jib on your N 5.2? If so, maybe you consider a Uni boat. There are many available now. The F16HP's,F-17, etc. Plus, if you have these 'big winds', you do not need to go spin to have fun, these boats perform great,

Re: A trick [Re: billrob] #39439
10/28/04 08:39 AM
10/28/04 08:39 AM
D
davidtilley Offline
davidtilley  Offline
D

Rope ladders are singularly useless, even for kids and tree houses, however us pirates could maybe benefit from the concept: Some people need to use the strength of their legs to climb aboard. Something that allows them to get a foot or knee purchase. How about a "single rung" rope ladder secured so the rung lies along the side of the hull, say at about waterline, when deployed? That way the rung can't get away from you when you attempt to climb. A 2 x 2 wood running board for boats.

Re: A trick [Re: billrob] #39440
10/28/04 08:50 AM
10/28/04 08:50 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bill, I am completely aware that rope ladders do not work in the water, suspended from the hull or the beam. It is just that Wouter mentioning the word "ladder" made a light bulb go off in my mind -- the answer is not stepping, it is climbing.

I sail a Hobie Wave, which has unique problems. It has no dolphin striker. It has no trapeze handles to get hold of. And it has a lot of freeboard. Even if you have a "step" suspended in the water at the main beam, you have nothing above to get hold of to give you enough leverage to get back onto the boat. You cannot grab the mast high enough to be of help, because the sail is in the way. Women usually are not able to reach the hiking strap, and even if they can, they still do not have the strength or leverage to pull themselves back on the boat at that angle.

So it finally dawned on me that what I need to do is put an eye strap on the front of the mast up about 4 or 5 feet. From that eye strap I can suspend either a narrow rope ladder or a rope with big knots in it -- something to give me the ability to pull myself up onto the boat.

I have always known that I can right my boat easily but that I am totally incapable of getting back aboard after it is righted. I feel better now that I have come up with this solution, which I suppose should have been intuitive.

Next time I sail, I will try it out, just to gain peace of mind about being able to self-rescue myself. It is also comforting to be able to get back on your boat quickly when you are in waters that are infested with either sharks or alligators.

Re: Nacra 52 and Fear Factor [Re: brobru] #39441
10/28/04 10:11 AM
10/28/04 10:11 AM
dickcnacra52 Offline OP
dickcnacra52  Offline OP

To Bruce and all the others that have given me ideas - thanks. I got this particular Nacra because I know it's history and record. It was purchased new in 1985 by one of our club and he used it for about 9 years to kick everyones butt in our weekly club races. He came in and said "Enough is enough - I flipped for the last time - when ya get to be 74 there are some things you have to stop doing" -- of course that was after he single handed righted it and came back to win that race! He is now 84 and waiting for me to get his boat back on the race course so he can come crew with me!! When I do that I'd just kinda like to do it in a reasonable manner - and all of your comments have helped. At a certain age you realize "out thinking" them has become a major tool!!

Dick
N 5.2 - 3002
Cats Paw

Re: A trick [Re: Mary] #39442
10/28/04 10:30 AM
10/28/04 10:30 AM
Houston
carlbohannon Offline
old hand
carlbohannon  Offline
old hand

Houston
I rig a simple loop in my righting line. It hangs off the front crossbeam near the mast step. Normally the loop would be just under the water. It does not act as a ladder, it is something to push against when you can't quite get back on the boat.

I figured it out on the fly when a "crew" proved not strong enough to climb back on the boat and too heavy to lift.

I had a real eye openning experience a couple of years ago. Out of 34 people at a pool safety course only 2 were able to climb out without the ladder. That is a lot easier than climbing back on a boat

Re: A trick [Re: carlbohannon] #39443
10/28/04 10:39 AM
10/28/04 10:39 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I had a real eye openning experience a couple of years ago. Out of 34 people at a pool safety course only 2 were able to climb out without the ladder. That is a lot easier than climbing back on a boat

WOW.

Jake Kohl
Climbing aboard when exhausted. [Re: dickcnacra52] #39444
10/28/04 10:43 AM
10/28/04 10:43 AM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
David Parker Offline
old hand
David Parker  Offline
old hand

Dunedin Causeway, FL
After dumping my SuperCat 17 which had no dolphin striker and a big rise to the front beam I needed a way to drag my old fat body aboard when exhausted. I threw the righting line over the bridle where it meets the hull, then tied it off to the mast. The lines hung down as a "hammock" which I could step on while holding on between the the hull and beam. Very successful since my weight was centered over the line.

Now I keep a loop tied in the line by the mast and a carabiner at the right place out the line so I can clip this rig together quickly while swimming. Works great if exhausted.

Re: Climbing aboard when exhausted. [Re: David Parker] #39445
10/28/04 11:02 AM
10/28/04 11:02 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think most of us Wave sailors have the loop in our righting lines, but I still need something from above to pull myself up. Rick suggests grabbing the halyard to pull myself up, so I will give that a try, too.

Re: Climbing aboard when exhausted. [Re: Mary] #39446
10/28/04 12:23 PM
10/28/04 12:23 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Regarding rope ladders.

I have never tried climbing a rope ladder while in the water, but on land you always have to climb them sideways. Ie. not climb it on the front side like you do with a regular ladder, but 90 degrees to the side. Perhaps this would work in the water as well?

There are 'rope ladders' with aluminium steps, that would sink and not float a bit like regular rope. In technical rock climbing 'rope ladders' are quite common, perhaps something usable could be found cheaply at a climbing store if someone wants to try it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 337 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022