Sailors -
<br>
<br>The "election" is over - the King is dead - long live the King.
<br>
<br>The NAHCA bylaws were changed by the Board of Directors (your 16 Division Chairs and the Women's Representative) such that the General Membership is no longer polled during the annual general election to instate the Executive Board. While it is true that SOME of the Division Chairs (like Division 4 as Caleb indicated above) made an effort to determine "the will of the Membership," the bylaws do not require this - and several of the Division Chairs (including Nigel's own) did not conduct a division-level election or tally of regional votes. Didn't have to.
<br>
<br>How many people who give their money to NAHCA know that they have no voice in that organization? I was told that the change to the bylaws was voted in by the membership. I'd like to point out that the results of that vote were not made public and that the Board of Directors and Executive Board should not have voted. If a quorum of the General Membership was achieved WITHOUT the votes of members of either board, THEN and ONLY THEN would the vote be legal in the eyes of the bylaws. The Board cannot vote itself exclusive voting rights - further, it is against the spirit of the bylaws to eliminate the "will of the Membership" from the general election. The annual election of the Executive Board is the ONLY national-level expression of the privilege of membership. To eliminate it is unfathomable.
<br>
<br>Another thing to consider as you get ready to pony up next year's dues and schedule next year's regattas - there were two basic precepts presented for consideration for this year's "election." Rich supports what he calls "one design" racing. Nigel supports some yet-to-be-defined acceptance and active encouragement of inclusion of the open (or "X") class. At the AGM, EVERY SINGLE DIVISION CHAIR expressed a desire to continue to handle the X class as they see fit, and NONE of the Divisions are exactly following the current NAHCA policy regarding the X class. These people that hold office at the membership's behest indicated that they recognize there's a policy in place, but that they cannot follow it to the letter and host a successful regatta season.
<br>
<br>So - two positions. One for one-design, one for coming up with a more inclusive X class policy. Both men have in word and action demonstrated the depth of their convictions. My question is, how could Rich have won if every Division wants the latitude to deal with the X class in the way that most makes sense for them regionally? The answer lies in the manner in which information and disinformation within the Board of Directors have been desseminated. Words to the effect that "NAHCA will become a Multihull Association under Nigel" and "Nigel's not a Hobie sailor" and "Nigel's first responsibility is to his sponsor" made their way into e-mails and long-distance phone calls. Disinformation that played to long-held Hobie-centic fears. I heard people say that Nigel has done nothing for NAHCA during his tenure. Has nobody noticed the record level of new and renewing members, largly due to his efforts associated with hosting Spring Fever? The unprecedented financial solvency? Paul Ulibari said he hasn't seen so many people involved and empassioned about Hobie sailing in years.
<br>
<br>Folks - you were hoodwinked. Even Jeff Alter, a guy I respect and like very much, got taken. Who can blame him? If the things that were circulated about the dissolution of NAHCA and unlimited X class were true, how could a Hobie sailor not reject them?
<br>
<br>The Board of Directors was played for a Rube.
<br>
<br>The King is dead - long live the King.
<br>
<br>Regards -
<br>
<br>John
<br>
<br>ps - If anyone cares, the new Executive Board can be dissolved and the election re-done in accordance with the bylaws which required a vote by the General Membership. As I said at the AGM, the bylaws issue MUST be resolved first, THEN an election can be held. A couple of people asserted that the revised bylaws were voted in, but I believe very strongly that this is not so - a quorum of the Membership without the votes of the boards is required. This advice was ignored and the election was carried forward. As a result, if the Membership wishes, it can be declared improper and void. Or, like I also indicated at the AGM, you can ignore all this and do what you want. I made my voice heard because a) I was asked to interpret the bylaws and Robert's Rule of Parliamentary Procedure during the AGM, and b) because I'm a paying NAHCA Member and I don't like the way things are being run right now.<br><br>

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.