11/03/04 05:06 PM
G
GeeLin Offline OP
stranger
GeeLin  Offline OP
stranger
G

I own an nacra 18SQ with mylar mainsail. It is a beamless sail with a
harken rail at the bottom. The mast lenght is 9.15m.
The sail is getting worse and i am looking for a replacement sail.
There are not many second-hand sails around and the ones that are,
ary really old.
What would be a good replacement sail a for nacra 18SQ?
Did anyone try an inter-18 sail on a nacra 18 SQ?

Geert Lindemulder - Nacra 18SQ sailno#309

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Nacra 18 SQ sail [Re: GeeLin] #39745
11/03/04 05:12 PM
11/03/04 05:12 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
You might want to try looking at the parameters from the Nacra model line - although I think you'll find that finding a perfect fit is not going to be easy. The Nacra 6.0NA has a large boomless sail with the track - but it's probably too deep and the track would be too far aft. One thing is for sure - you will have a lot of headaches trying to get a sail to fit (and perform reasonably) from another boat. The Inter boats all have booms.

On the other hand, any sail manufactuer will be able to put together a new sail for that boat. You can expect a good sail from a reputable catamaran sail maker to cost around $1200.

Jake Kohl
Re: Nacra 18 SQ sail [Re: GeeLin] #39746
11/03/04 07:12 PM
11/03/04 07:12 PM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
I wouldnt try to fit another type of boats sail to your boat, even a used sail would be waste of time and money. I would take the old sail to sail loft or call one of the popular sail manufacturers - Ullman, North, Quantum, etc

I have an Ullman main that I like - Jay Glazer or Charlie Ogletree could probably help you - ullman@ullmansails.com
http://www.ullmansails.com/

You might also try
www.oxosails.com
www.taipanamerica.com
www.ashbysails.com
www.northorder.com

Bill

Re: Nacra 18 SQ sail [Re: bvining] #39747
11/03/04 09:06 PM
11/03/04 09:06 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Elliot Patterson has a history with 18Square sails as they have been the sailmaker for Nacra for a long time. I'm sure Calvert Sails could build a great one too.

http://www.epsails.com/
http://www.calvertsails.com/

Jake Kohl
Re: Nacra 18 SQ sail [Re: GeeLin] #39748
11/04/04 12:23 PM
11/04/04 12:23 PM
Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Seeker Offline
addict
Seeker  Offline
addict

Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Check here http://nensa.org/classifieds.html
They have a 18sq sail listed.

Regards,
Bob

Re: Nacra 18 SQ sail [Re: Seeker] #39749
11/04/04 03:52 PM
11/04/04 03:52 PM
G
GeeLin Offline OP
stranger
GeeLin  Offline OP
stranger
G

Hi All,

Thanks for the quick response.
Buying a new sail is probably the best advice.
Since i am living in the Netherlands i would probably check at performance sails (www.performancesails.com) in the Hook of Holland, about 100km from my house.
In Holland, we probably have other sailmakers as well that could make a new sail from the old sail.
I will definitely checkout the sites of sailmakers you named to learn more about new sails and sail repair.

But....
The price of a new sail is almost the same price as what i paid for the complete boat two years ago. ( with an old sail , but new tramp. )
I use the boat singlehanded and sometimes sail it with family ( my wife, two kids and myself). I don't expect have the fastest cat around.
The question is, if it's worth to invest in a new sail for this old boat?

The mast length of a nacra 6.0 is 9.63m which about 0.5m more than the nacra
18SQ mast (9.15m). It will be a lot of work to make 6.0 sail fit on a 18SQ.
The other problem is that the distance between the beams on a nacra 18SQ is
smaller the distance between the beams on a nacra 5.5 or nacra 6.0.
Which means the foot of a 18SQ sail is probably smaller then on other sails.

There are very few boomless sails around and most other type sails will mean a boom. I remember from the Mike Coleman site about nacra 18 sq that sails with boom where preferred above the boomless sails for the nacra 18sq.
The other question is, if its worth investing in a more modern sail with boom?
A formula 18 sail is a bit smaller but might be more effective?

Lot of options...

Geert Lindemulder - Nacra 18 SQ

Re: Nacra 18 SQ sail [Re: GeeLin] #39750
11/04/04 06:17 PM
11/04/04 06:17 PM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
Geert,
You should consider the mast bend and mast charactoristics also in your search for a new sail. The sail is generally tailor made for the mast and the way the mast bends when down haul is applied and how is behaves when the mast is rotated. The luff of the sail is also curved to match the curve of the mast when it is prebent due to the diamond wire tension on the spreaders. So an improperly cut sail on the luff will cause sail shape issues when the main sheet is tensioned. The type of mast section, the spreader location and diamond tension(prebend), and the rigging point for the shrouds and forestays also will effect how the mast behaves and the shape of the sail.

I would take a string and measure the mast bend along the luff track of the mast with the diamonds tensioned the way you sail the boat. Send this to your sail maker and get his input. His advise is most likely free. See if he will give you his design measurements and then compare this to whatever used sail you are considering.

Again, I think a used sail from another boat would be a mistake. If you could get it to work, it will be slow. A used sail from a 18sq with a similiar mast would be your best bet.

A boom on a catamaran allows you to adjust the outhaul, which controls how full the sail is, and is one of the controls that controls how much power the sail has. When its blowing you can apply lots of tension to the outhaul and it does a nice job of flattening the sail and depowering the sail, so the boat becomes easier to manage in heavier air. It also gives you more adjustment in the amount of twist the sail has, so you can have more outhaul and travel the boom down, but still keep the sheet tension high, this is effective for going to weather in windier conditions or footing when its windier. A boom gives you more options on how to adjust your sail in differient conditions. The boat will be easier to sail once you get all this worked out.

I would consider a new sail and a boom. It will be like having a new boat. Plus you will probably end up with a modern shape sail, which should be a nice improvement.
A rigging shop should have round aluminum sections that you could easily make into a boom. They would probably rig it for you too.

Your sail is your engine, get a good one.

Bill

Re: Nacra 18 SQ sail [Re: bvining] #39751
11/04/04 07:02 PM
11/04/04 07:02 PM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
Carpal Tunnel

Looking for a Job, I got credi...
Buy a new sail, only sensible option. And it will last for years

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Nacra 18 SQ sail [Re: GeeLin] #39752
11/05/04 10:25 AM
11/05/04 10:25 AM
Houston
carlbohannon Offline
old hand
carlbohannon  Offline
old hand

Houston
Finding a used NACRA 18sq sail is going to be difficult. There were delamination problems with the factory sails. That means there are not many left.

My first option would be to by a new sail. If you expect to keep the boat for 2 or more years it is probably worth it. You will be amazed at the difference a new sail with make. I know Ullman in the USA and Europe has patterns and experience.

If you can't or do not want to spend the money there are a couple of options

A 5.5 uni sail will fit. It will be smaller, 16 sq m instead of 18.

You can also have a sailmaker recut a sail. Woven sails can be recut. Laminated sails in general cannot be recut.

A section will be probably have to be added to the bottom of the sail to support the trac. The leach will have to be reshaped. The sail probably be too full for your boat if it was intended for use with a boom.

It will cost $200-250 if you take it to a sailmaker offically. A person working in the shop, doing work at night, might charge $75-100. Ask around to see if anyone is doing this type of work in your area.

A good source of sails for recut are used Tornado sails. In general raced out Tornado sails are still in very good shape. You will want a dacron (woven not laminated) sail.

I have a rule about catamarans. They always cost at least $3000. You can spend $3000 and have a good boat or you can buy a boat for less and spend $3000-4000 total before it is in good shape. For example a $600 boat needs new rigging, new sails, trailer repairs, etc

Carl

Re: Nacra 18 SQ sail [Re: carlbohannon] #39753
11/24/04 05:40 PM
11/24/04 05:40 PM
G
GeeLin Offline OP
stranger
GeeLin  Offline OP
stranger
G

Hello ALL

Last week i got in contact with a dutch sailor, who upgraded his 1995 nacra 18sq with a 10.75m carbon Saarberg mast and appropiate sail.He had a spare mast, sail and battens which i bought for a very reasonable price.
The sail is a no 308 Eliot sail and is exactly the same size sail as the old one.
Both the old and new sail are probably from 1995. But the no 308 sail is in a much better condition. Also the battens are of better quality then the old ones.
I can sail for a few more years and then look out for a better sail again.
If you want to spent the money and upgrade a 18 square with a long carbon mast and new sail, it seems a very nice choise.

This site is loaded with information about 18 square cats. Most of my other questions are answered in this forum.

Geert Lindemulder -- nacra 18 square

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 652 guests, and 96 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022