03/17/05 05:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi all,

Yes F16 Altered is on the road again, and Mossies with Spinnakers. F18's will also be there Greg Goodall is a definite. Along with the usual mixed cat fleet and some classes, last year there were 11 Mossies.
For more info. http://www.vic.yachting.org.au/site/yachting/vic/downloads/LakeBogaEasterNoticeofRace2005.pdf

Regards Gary.

--Advertisement--
Link to PDF file doesn't work ! [Re: ] #46126
03/17/05 06:50 AM
03/17/05 06:50 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Link to PDF file doesn't work !

Can you provide another link or maybe give a summary of the info contained in it ?

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Link found [Re: Wouter] #46127
03/17/05 10:10 AM
03/17/05 10:10 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Easter Reggatta Lake Boga Vic. Australia. [Re: ] #46128
03/20/05 05:10 AM
03/20/05 05:10 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi all,

been practicing for Lake Boga At home for a change. Perfect weekend reminds me of why I came to live on the Gippsland Lakes 2 days of blue skys tempature in mid 20's, with sea breeze picking up at lunchtime and building to 18 to 20kts. by the late afternoon, flat water, heaven on a stick for cat sailors. But there weren't any other cats racing. Had a interclub race with our closest club all Keelboats and Trailer Sailers, lapped them all including Etchells. Won on Yardstick for what it was worth, helping Club to win the event.

So I turned it into practice, trapezing downwind with spinnaker, had one foot on transom and main out to side of hull, got some amazing speed but after finishing the race managed to capsize on the way home. I still keep getting to a point where I overpower and drive bows under regardless of how far I pull off the wind. I think I might need a smaller flatter kite for one up sailing. Greg did comment that F18's are going to kites like mine last weekend , the one he was using was flatter than mine.

Regardless looking forward to Boga worked some speed out this weekend, can't wait to hit that flatwater.

Regards Gary.

Singlehanded spinnakering; an idea [Re: ] #46129
03/20/05 06:51 AM
03/20/05 06:51 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

The only thing I can think off except putting T-foils on you boat is to try cleat the kite and handle the main traveller and tiller while trapezing of the boat. Put the traveller about 300 mm of the centre and trim the kite to were you want it for the optimal speed (rather flat as you will be going high). Now cleat the spi sheet (in some way, I was think about cleats on the sidestay) as well as the mainsailsheet. Than Grap the maintraveller line and tiller and get out. Steer large S-curves and when feeling that you'll be overpowered bare off by turning rudders and letter maintraveller out. On my boat this depowers the rig very rapidly and make the boat turn very quickly as the spi is still pulling and without the main pushing back the leehelm help the turning. Also by letting out the main traveller the whole top of my mast falls away to lee under the spi pull and depowers to top of the sail both reducing the heeling AND the dive tendency.

I must admit that I haven't had the chance to test this with singlehanding in strong winds yet. HOWEVER I did use this tacktic on some long distance races/legs where my crew got tired trimming the kite continiously. This was in big wind. So we agreed that he would trim the kite to a good point and then just hold the sheet. I would than keep the boat powered up using the rudders and mainsheet traveller only. I also found that moving the traveller prevented the bows of my Taipan to be pushed down to much and resisting baring away. It turned out that methode worked like a charm. I could very easily keep one hull flying and keep good up. This is what suggests to me that it can be done very effective;y when singlehanding as well.

But like I said it needs some more experimenting before we can determine wether it will work just as well singlehanding.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Singlehanded spinnakering; an idea [Re: Wouter] #46130
03/23/05 08:41 AM
03/23/05 08:41 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve_Kwiksilver Offline
addict
Steve_Kwiksilver  Offline
addict

Cape Town, South Africa
Gary, here`s a thought : Were you having the same problem on the Mozzie, or did you just not try trapezing with kite up ?
The reason I ask is that I agree with you, wiring off the back single-handed with kite up is a bit like living on the ragged edge. You go hell of a fast, until you stop.
Having said that, I haven`t found the same issue on the Mozzie that you describe, that the bow pushes under and, despite a bearaway, still goes down.
Here`s my theory, I`d love to hear what others think since this is esentially about hull shape :
When the Mozzie is going downwind I get the weather hull up so that the bottom of the daggerboard is clear of the water. At this level of incline the forward part of the hull (in fact the whole hull) changes the way it goes through water, since it`s over at quite an angle. the Moz has classic Tornado hull shape (for those who don`t know), what I experience is at this angle of heel the bow actually starts to produce lift, and a big bearaway increases this lift such that the bow "pops" back out again. I think you might not be having this happen on Altered becuase the bows have flatter sides than the Moz, which might mean that she produces less lift when heeled over. If I`m right about this theory then the new hull shapes like Blade etc will also not experience this "lift", but perhaps will get away with it with more bouyancy up front than Altered. If my theory is wrong, well then it is . (Of course it could also have something to do with the fact that your mast is up in the clouds compared to the Moz.) This is one reason I think canted hulls are not a great idea for downwind - I`d lose that component of lift that I rely on to save my butt from time to time.

Any thoughts on this ? (Please, no heavy Engineering, it`s almost Easter weekend and my mind is close to shut-down.)

Steve

Re: Easter Reggatta Lake Boga Vic. Australia. [Re: ] #46131
03/24/05 04:37 PM
03/24/05 04:37 PM
P
pkilkenny Offline
enthusiast
pkilkenny  Offline
enthusiast
P

Steve,

We've discussed the tendency of the boats to nose dive if pushed too hard w/ the kite ; the pervading attitude seems to be an acceptance of this as an idiosyncracy of catamarans.I notice that , even wiring from the transom, if the hulls break deep, the apparent wind swings astern , the rig loads up and you swim...How about a system like (attached) except controlled by a single line that includes the forestay.The idea would be to uncleat the forestay and shrouds as you jibe, but before setting the kite (sweating just thinking about it...); the mast is raked waaay back by torquing in the main sheet. The mast rake is controlled by stopper knots (or something).The idea being, the mast adds weight to the sterns of the boat(like a Contender mast), lifting the bows - boom no more nose diving!As the lee mark is approached the main is untensioned and the mast blow's forward (but not too much),and is cleated to optimum rake for the trip uphill...

PK

Attached Files
46672-505_96.jpg (339 downloads)
Re: Easter Reggatta Lake Boga Vic. Australia. [Re: pkilkenny] #46132
03/24/05 05:07 PM
03/24/05 05:07 PM
Australia
macca Offline
old hand
macca  Offline
old hand

Australia
We found on the T with the old rig when going wild downwind that heeling the boat created lift from the bow and reduced the tendency to dive. It is a fine line between safe and fast on the T and I would imagine even harder to do on a narrow boat like a mozzie.
With the kite up I would highly recomend you guys work out a way to get further back. On the new rig T we thought we were as far back as possible then worked out that we could go Way faster in a blow if the crew traped off the rudder with his back foot and front foot on the transom, this is tricky but makes a massive difference.
As for adjusting the rake on the fly.... Well if you want that kind of mess on your boat why not sail a 505? But seriously why not increase the rake on you boat until the upwind performance drops off (you will be suprised how far back you can rake it and still be fast) you will have to bring your rudders under the boat a bit more.

Re: Easter Reggatta Lake Boga Vic. Australia. [Re: ] #46133
03/28/05 06:15 PM
03/28/05 06:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi all,

just a quick post, only home for a few hours. Boga was OK very erratic in the wind as expected that far in land. Fast cat start included F18 Capricorn, F16 Altered, A's, Taipan cat rig's, Taipan 5.7, and occasionaly Mossie sloop's with spin.

Completed 5 races one had bullets of 25 kts. swinging in direction to much for Altered to handle swam with kite a number of times finished at back of fleet, Capricorn cleaned up. One was drifter total lottery Capricorn won, Taipan Cat rigged beat me home. One I came unhooked upwind capsized and broke tiller extension whilst battling with A for second place Capricorn won. Other two were similar started in breeze which faded Capricorn and Altered left A's for dead and as breeze continued to fade Altered pulled away from Capricorn downwind and upwind to win.

Not the way I like to sail a reggatta very inconsistent but the wins where great. Greg tells me A's where some of the best in Vic. behind Glen, he said it's starting to get embarrasing how far ahead the F's can be. Jim Boyer was also there he said he was surprised how fast I was upwind with spin. gear against Taipans, I told him it doesn't have to slow you down much, he still thinks it slows down Taipan to much, I beg to differ.

Regards Gary.

Re: Easter Reggatta Lake Boga Vic. Australia. [Re: ] #46134
03/29/05 02:19 PM
03/29/05 02:19 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve_Kwiksilver Offline
addict
Steve_Kwiksilver  Offline
addict

Cape Town, South Africa
Thanks for the report Gary, Mixed fortunes are every sailors right .
On the subject of spinn. gear slowing you down, when converting our fleet to spinnys we never really noticed the difference. Some of the fast guys were slow to get a spinny, but the mix at A-mark after the first beat was pretty much the same, indicating that the windage doesn`t make that much of a difference.

Steve

Re: Easter Reggatta Lake Boga Vic. Australia. [Re: Steve_Kwiksilver] #46135
03/31/05 03:11 PM
03/31/05 03:11 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Gary, have you tried raking the mast way back, to keep if from nose diving? This is what the Hobie 16 sailors do and when I first got my Inter 20 I was amazed at how much rake the fast guys were using. This will cure two problems. The first problem is lots of lee helm under spinaker, if that is a problem on your boat. The second benefit is it will help the spinaker lift the bows, as the thrust vector goes more up as you pull the mast tip back. (The Inter 20 was much more prone to nose dive on a reach/run without the spinnaker up, as the spin. actually helped lift the bows). Of course, you may have a bunch of weather helm when not using the spinnaker if you rake it too far back, but give it a try and see what happens.

Blade F16

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (TimTT), 603 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022