07/03/01 07:57 PM
07/03/01 07:57 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I have a H-16 with the old style, single pulley on top of the mast.
<br>
<br>On the main halyard (wire rope) can anyone tell me how far from the thimble (looped) end of the wire rope the "bb" should be located/swaged?
<br>
<br>Right now it's appx 14" from the end and this seems to be the wrong distance; it doesn't lock the mainsail up far enough when it's caught underneath the...y-shaped ?halyard hook?
<br>
<br>
<br>Thanks!
<br>
<br>Wade H. Nelson
<br>wadenelson@frontier.net
<br>420 1/2 East Fifth Avenue
<br>Durango, CO 81301-5615
<br>970 259 1494<br><br>

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: H16 rigging question #459
07/05/01 12:17 PM
07/05/01 12:17 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Wade,
<br>
<br>There should be two "bb". The lower one for when you want to reef the sail in heavy heavy winds. I have an '78 hobie and find it very difficult to raise the sail fully. I use a silicon spray to help.
<br>
<br>Eric<br><br>

Re: H16 rigging question #460
07/12/01 12:33 PM
07/12/01 12:33 PM
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Greg Offline
Greg  Offline

Santa Fe, New Mexico
I waited to reply in hopes that someone knew the answer in inches. If all else fails... On a calm day with the mast down, feed the sail with attached halyard onto the mast. When it reaches its limit then back it down an inch or two and put your BB (swage?) on the halyard at the hook point. I would suggest the extra inch or two since changing conditions may make it difficult to raise the main to the extreme top position.
<br>Good luck, I hope someone can tell you the exact measurement. My 81 hobie has the double pully system on top of the mast, so a simple measurement won't suffice.
<br>Get it done soon. Sailing's great!
<br>Greg H14,H16 <br><br>

Re: H16 rigging question #461
07/17/01 12:31 AM
07/17/01 12:31 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Wade, I have mine hanging in the garage...my "BB" is 15 3/4"
<br>from the top of the shackle pin. My reefing BB is 5' from the same point. I had the same problem at first but after I started spraying the sail track, pully and "clip" with dry silicon each time I set up, it works like a charm. I also noticed that the BB had some burrs around the edges and I filed them lightly just to smooth them. I wouldn't recommend rounding the edges though and be careful not to file the cable!. Also, you might need to take the halyard well upfront of the boat to disconnect the BB when you are done. I hope this was helpful. I'm fairly new to the cats but have owned Toppers and a Laser. Fun boats but I think we all agree here that the cats are cooler!...Tom<br><br>

Attached Files
754- (79 downloads)
Re: H16 rigging question #462
07/17/01 12:53 PM
07/17/01 12:53 PM
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Greg Offline
Greg  Offline

Santa Fe, New Mexico
A few questions on reefing. Does your mast have a comp-tip? Does your sail have a line of gromets five feet up from the boom? Is it easy/possible to disengage the BB and reingage the reefing BB while bobbing about in foot and a half chop in the middle of the lake? I would appreciate a description of your steps to reefing the main.
<br>Thanks,
<br>Greg H14,H16<br><br>

Re: H16 rigging question [Re: Greg] #463
07/17/01 04:52 PM
07/17/01 04:52 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi Greg, I'm at work so I can't measure my sail but the grommets are at the top of the first sail panel...(3' above the boom?) 4 grommets have lashing lines to lash around the boom and the 5th one I use to attatch the outhaul. The best place to reef is on the beech but that is not your question. I have reefed on the lake and I really had my hands full. Release the downhaul so that you are not fighting that then un-cleat the halyrard. The halyard (mine anyways) is behind the trap wires and stays, so yo need to bring it around to the front so you can get as far forward as you can in order to release the BB. Mine is very difficult to realease if I am pulling straight down on the halyard. After you release the sail to the reefing BB, lash the reefing lines to the boom, do the downhaul thing and reattach the outhaul to the reefing clew. Sounds like fun in a foot and a half of chop, hu? Take friends! As a side note when we are out with kids or non sailors that just want a ride, I will leave the sail up but reef the bottom. I keeps the boom well above everyones heads. Hope this was helpful, Tom H-16
<br>PS My mast is the "old" style. My boat is a '72,73,74,75 etc.
<br><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by coolcat on 07/17/01 04:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Attached Files
773- (87 downloads)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 441 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022