Hop To
I threw a dart at a map and hit #48969
05/09/05 11:58 PM
05/09/05 11:58 PM
BobG Offline OP
addict
BobG  Offline OP
addict

"Land between the Lakes" ,on the Kentucky ,Tennessee border.WNW of Clarksville Tennessee and W of Hopkinsville Kentucky .There sits Kentucky Lake on one side and Lake Barkly on the other both sizeable bodies of water.It also happens sit geographicaly in what would seem a one and a half days drive from the Likes of Key Largo Fla. ,Providence RI.,Montreal Can.,Fargo N.Dakota,North Platte Neb.,Amarillo and Corpus Christi Texas. Would this place be optimal as a venue for that" pie in the sky" Mega Regatta of days gone by where you sailed in A.B.C fleet. With all the interest coming forth lately in Distance racing. Could those that can find interest in this idea.A Valhalla if you will of catamaran racing/vacation? At any rate it looks like an interesting part of the country to check out and any info would be appreciated...Thanx.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Wind ? [Re: BobG] #48970
05/10/05 02:38 AM
05/10/05 02:38 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Wind conditions ?

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Road Trip!!!! [Re: Wouter] #48971
05/10/05 08:14 AM
05/10/05 08:14 AM
Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
You an the lady thinking of a road trip? Looks like a C. Collard area of the country.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: I threw a dart at a map and hit [Re: BobG] #48972
05/10/05 11:28 AM
05/10/05 11:28 AM
Lake Lanier, Georgia
hobiesailor Offline
hobiesailor  Offline

Lake Lanier, Georgia
I grew up north of there and my father has a camper on KY Lake. Lake Barkly doesn't have much sailing because it is much more shallow and snakey.

KY Lake has a lot of sailing on it. It is on Navigatable water all the way to the gulf. It's a couple miles wide in most places and quite long. Wind can be varied like most inland lakes. Beautiful area though.

Re: I threw a dart at a map and hit [Re: hobiesailor] #48973
05/10/05 02:47 PM
05/10/05 02:47 PM
Home is where the harness is.....
Will_R Offline
old hand
Will_R  Offline
old hand

Home is where the harness is.....
I grew up there, plenty of sailing. My father is owns a large boat dealership and repair facility (www.rottgeringmarine.com) there. There is a local sailing club (KLSC) and a yacht club. There are a couple of sailboat only marinas and plenty of other larger marinas (Think 100 50'+ slips per pier w/6-8 piers).

The sailing club runs monthly races w/two "championship" type races per year. They run a spring 100k or 100 mile race in the spring (distance varies by year) and a fall 50k. You see everything including J22's, 24, 80, 92, 105, 32, 40, Hunters of all shapes and sizes, B24, Cal, Catalina's, Beneteaus, Sovrel, Corsair..... They used to do some laser and sunfish sailing, but have not lived or raced there in several years and don't know if that program has died or not.

They ran J80 NA's a couple of years back on KY lake out of Dad's shop (crane and travel lift was needed for the event). The water is nice and deep and you could go almost anywhere.

There used to be a LOT of H-16 sailors in the area, but not anymore. One of the big problems is a lack of beaches for cats to use. If you don't mind an asphalt regatta, there are some huge parking lots at some of the marina's that are used to host some monster fishing tournaments. Since we knew the marina owners, we kept my Star in the lot mast up during the summer, so there is plenty of room to maneuver w/a stick up.

As far as wind goes: You either get a really good day or a really bad day. Anytime in the spring and fall is usually good, but summer days are like playing roulette.

There is a Hobie dealer up there, but.....

contact me at wlrottge at hotmail dot com for more info. I can get you in touch with the right people if you are interested.

W

Re: I threw a dart at a map and hit [Re: Will_R] #48974
05/10/05 10:02 PM
05/10/05 10:02 PM
BobG Offline OP
addict
BobG  Offline OP
addict

Thanks all for your reply so quickly I thought this would be a dead-end thread.My wifes family is from Columbus OH.I thought this would be safe enough distance to keep everyone happy between Delray Bch.FLa and the inlaws,(of which are good Ohio people I might add).I am surprised that in all that area of shoreline in Kentucky and Tennessee that there is not some park with a grass bank or beach to launch from but beggars can't be choosers I guess.Still I am interested in Kentucky Lake,there is another area to the east on the border too.A Lake surrounded by the towns of Love Lady ,Timothy and Celina in Tenn.Peytonsburg and Static seem to be closest on my map. The lake has no name but Corduil Hull birth place seems to be nearby. Thanks Again ..

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 440 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022