12/28/01 04:15 PM
12/28/01 04:15 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Wow! Ton of sweat put into that and great stuff (Tami - are you a lawyer?). I've got a couple of questions and observations.

1) Rick – is the non-profit corporation on paper already as the North American Multihull Class Association and if so, can it be changed to North American Multihull Sailing Association?

2) Will someone define Quorum of 50% paid membership? This sure sounds like 50% of the members of NAMSA (regular folk) have to submit a vote for anything to happen besides an informational meeting. Or does this refer to 50% of the board members?

3) Tami - can we just refer to section 3) item b.ii. to "Competition in NAMSA sanctioned national or continental events"

4) Section 3.c.: what if someone joins mid-year? Are they still responsible for the full $30 (individual) for the next 6 months? Can we either a) prorate the membership or b) cycle membership anuities by the date the person signed up? Personally I don't want to see the secretary have to keep up with revolving membership due dates but I don't know how else to keep it fair. How does organizations like NAHCA handle this?

5)MajSteve makes an excellent point in requesting a clause for officer eligibility being restricted to persons without major holding in other organizations that could financially benefit from NAMSA direction (I'm paraphrasing). Can anyone suggest some formal wording or input on this issue?

6) In Tami's markup, "Decisions on the locations and dates of the NAMSA National or Continental (my change from international to continental) events" conflicts between Vice President and the Racing Rules Chaiman (see 5.a.ii.(4) and 5.a.v.(5)). Chairman should probably suggest (along with the committee) the locations to the Vice President and he decide the location. No?

7) as per Tami's recommendations on 5.a.iii.(7) I would recommend changing "Association by request" to "Membered Associations by request" in order to keep the Wal-Mart associates from getting a fleet number [Linked Image].

Once we get some comments on this information, I hope to put together some polling posts to settle any major debates and together with Tami and MajSteve, take the "Proposed" out of the "Proposed Constitution of NAMSA".

Jake Kohl
Re: Links to proposed changes to constitution! [Re: Jake] #4948
12/28/01 04:46 PM
12/28/01 04:46 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
WHOOPS! I forgot one biggy. Tami has issues with the officer and committee terms. I agree that two years is bit much of a commitment for an officer and four years is a bit much for a committee member. However, terms of one year across the board lends the distinct possiblity of having a complete changeover in board members and committees. I think it's important to have some overlapping terms in order for a smooth transfer of direction and information.

I also see the advantage to having a longer term to keep things moving and fear that a year might be to short (granted the current officers will probably carry over for some time). I would propose that officer terms be one year and committee terms at two years. I would also like to explore the idea that we could alternate the president, vice president, and other officers terms by 6 months. i.e. President, Secretary, and Rules Chairman office is effective on January 1st but the Vice President and the Treasurer take office on June 1st. I know that my department at my daytime job would be useless for several months if I swapped out the entire staff in one day.

We also need to consider that the secretary term could coincide with the anuity of membership applications / renewals if we don't have a revolving membership plan. We don't want to immediately throw that responsibility on a newbie.

Jake Kohl
Re: Links to proposed changes to constitution! [Re: Jake] #4949
12/28/01 08:59 PM
12/28/01 08:59 PM
Texas
majsteve Offline
majsteve  Offline

Texas
Thanks for the compliments and the mediation of the other tread Jake.

Personally, I feel that Namsa needs to remain "pure" as an organization. IE not controlled by outside interests (manufacturers, sponsors, big pocket interests, etc.). Also, there needs to be a "franchise clause" where Namsa has the sole right to market itself and this end of our sport seperately from USSA. Much in the same what the USOC and USSA do it now. There will be some overlap with the USOC (tornados) but since it is a pre-existing marketing arrangement then legal presidence is that USOC will be binding on that vessel. This proposal prohibits USSA from taking dollars away from NAMSA if it develops a premiere event. Additionally, it makes Namsa the spokesman/image guide for multihull sailors. This is very important overall and can not be overlooked. IE we need to stake the high ground before it starts to flood.

Why do I bring this up? Well basically, money. NAMSA can not survive on dues and volunteers alone. It must have some way to generate revenue. Now this can be accomplished via licensing, sponsorship, material products, and sales of print material outside of member materials. One way this could happen is from a the sales of "Ricks written materials" (this is just an example so Rick don't shoot me here!) Basically, NAMSA could endorse Ricks Materials and then get a SMALL fee based upon each peice sold. In return NAMSA would promote Ricks work in any and all manners that seem rational and logical. This arrangement expands marketing, increases perceived value, and is mutually beneficial to all parties. Now what would this do to Rick personally? Well other than hopefully making him some more dollars. It would make him ineligible from a directors or board position (as would any sailmaker, builder, manufacturer, or actually hell, Rick your already ineligible due to your seminars under the current proposal)

Next, the overlapping tenures is a good idea, it keeps constant leadership in place even when the faces change -- direction is a good thing.

There needs to be a "termination clause" where an officer or director can be "bumped" for fairly specific reasons. The usual (ie fraud, criminal activity) but also, possibly un-professional behavior, actions not the best interest of the whole etc. This would or could be handled by the majority of the board (ie 85% or higher) or the majority of the associations voting members.

These are just a very few thoughts.

Any further thoughts or suggestions?

Steve

Can we hear from original NAMSA officers? [Re: Jake] #4950
01/02/02 10:49 AM
01/02/02 10:49 AM
Gulf Coast
tami Offline
addict
tami  Offline
addict

Gulf Coast
Just got back from a damned cold NYD sail in OS. We're gonna have to reconsider our original name for our Wharram TIKI 21 from "Ho'opakele' (rescued) to some Polynesian term for 'foul weather.'

As far as my suggestions: I'm just way not a lawyer so I couldn't speak to any such issues. I was trying to pick out inconsistencies and syntax/phrasing issues as much as I could.

I do believe that Jake's suggestion re: membership midyear is salient. To me, it seems far easier to prorate the membership than to try to implement some sort of revolving date.

Re: tenure: Two years sounds okay, but that would have to be a max unless the person was willing (speaking from burnout personal experience). Inasmuch as transfer of position issues, the prior officers should make themselves available for assistance regardless of term tenure.

MajSteve: Rick White may justifiably want to divorce himself and his biz from NAMSA. Revenue in any case is not too very hard to garner if done right. Selling 'things' tends in my experience to be very iffy, as the org. has to shoulder the capital investment on a very long chance that the 'things' get sold. The CCC has had better experience with asking for donations and holding raffles. And while seems like a real grassroots operation, unless the NAMSA suddenly jumps out and does real well (after 9/11 I don't see that happening) we may have run NAMSA that way.

MS's idea re: clauses to keep separate from other orgz is a real good one, to me, if that is an issue.

And as for that: Without any experience on my part having to do with a national org...

I'd like to hear a whole lot more input from the folks who ran NAMSA in its 'first' iteration. That would, to me, be REAL interesting to hear. Where is the original constitution? What were the issues of the day? How did NAMSA relate to other sailing/class orgz?

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 615 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022