Hop To
Snuffer problem #50982
06/13/05 01:11 PM
06/13/05 01:11 PM
Central Europe
ceitzi Offline OP
ceitzi  Offline OP

Central Europe
I have a nasty problem pulling my spinnaker into the snuffer (see image).
Retrieving the spinnaker on starboard tack works fine and usually it fully disappears in the snuffer.
On port tack I sometimes end up with a situation where more or less large parts of the spinnaker are still outside the snuffer and pulling the retrieval line won't help (no matter how hard you pull).

I have tried to change the timing when I release the sheet, halyard and tack line, but came up with no real solution. The position of the patches (2 patches) seems to be OK.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
ceitzi

Attached Files
51225-Spi_problem.jpg (253 downloads)
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Snuffer problem [Re: ceitzi] #50983
06/13/05 02:08 PM
06/13/05 02:08 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Is your retrieval line pulled into it's usual position, or does it just stop prematurely?

Usually, a cleat or something locks up when we experience things like this. I think we have had a similar episode or two, without finding the real source. We just pulled it i bit out again before re-snuffing.

A last tought, have you checked what's happening with your halyard when this occurs? I have seen something similar happen on T's where the halyard have not been lead away from the fitting for forestay and shrouds. Then the halyard sometimes get stuck between the mast and shrouds/forestay when the mast rotates.

What kind of snuffer is that? Closeups of the mouth would be nice

Re: Snuffer problem [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #50984
06/13/05 03:50 PM
06/13/05 03:50 PM
Ohio
T
TeamTeets Offline
enthusiast
TeamTeets  Offline
enthusiast
T

Ohio
My guess is that your belly cord (retrieval line) is windward of the foot of the sail on starboard and leeward on port tack. If that is true, what is likely happening is that you are splitting the foot of the sail in half as it enters the snuffer… sail bunches up and keeps it from straightening out in the length of the snuffer. If this happens you are left with roughly half the foot length of the head that can no longer be pulled in.

You need to make sure the patches enter the snuffer first, not other parts of the sail bunched up in front of it. Try releasing the halyard and sheet while keeping it sailing hot so the sail inverts before entering the snuffer.

Mike, Ohio
Former H16, H18, N20, N17, M4.3
Re: Snuffer problem [Re: ceitzi] #50985
06/13/05 04:58 PM
06/13/05 04:58 PM
Columbia South Carolina, USA
dave mosley Offline
veteran
dave mosley  Offline
veteran

Columbia South Carolina, USA
The NACRAS have 3 patches with a midpole snuffer, and the end pole snuffers have 2. Im not familiar with the T, so that may not be accurate for you.

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27

Re: Snuffer problem [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #50986
06/14/05 12:19 PM
06/14/05 12:19 PM
Central Europe
ceitzi Offline OP
ceitzi  Offline OP

Central Europe
>Is your retrieval line pulled into it's usual position, or >does it just stop prematurely?

Interesting idea. Never checked that. I just noticed that the halyard is loose and not stuck somewhere between shrouds/diamonds/spreaders. I noticed that the tack line seems to be fully tightened too early. All of this fits pretty well into Mike's explanation. I will check that next weekend.

>What kind of snuffer is that?
It is a Hobie Fox/Tiger snuffer with a textile bag. It happened to fit to my spinnaker pole perfectly and proved to be more robust than earlier carbon tube designs that broke easily. Nevertheless I am thinking about switching to an integrated carbon tube+pole sooner or later.

Thanks for your help
Ceitzi

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 430 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022