06/14/05 02:46 PM
06/14/05 02:46 PM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline OP
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
I am looking into purchasing two of the Hobie harnesses. However, having never used one I am unsure of which to choose. I am not trying to find the "best buy", just the best all-round harness. More than anything, I really want comfort and support - whether I am sitting/leaning up or way out on the wire. Hobie has the "full auto harness", the "convertible harness" and the half or "skippers harness". Any suggestions including handles and hookup hardware would be greatly appreciated. Hope you can help.

I am not into racing - just into comfort and I don`t mind spending a little more to get that.

Thanks in advance

Dave

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Trap Harness ?? Which one ?? [Re: Captain_Dave] #51078
06/15/05 02:17 AM
06/15/05 02:17 AM
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South A...
Clint_SA Offline
journeyman
Clint_SA  Offline
journeyman

Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South A...
Sorry to chip in on your post, but I'm looking at getting harnesses for myself and my crew. Only difference is that we mostly race. Could those giving advise also just add in if the harnesses discussed would work for racing...My crew is a girl..if that makes any difference in considerations to be made. Thanks

Dubulamanzi
Trap Harness [Re: Captain_Dave] #51079
06/15/05 07:30 AM
06/15/05 07:30 AM
Virginia USA
CMerrell Offline
enthusiast
CMerrell  Offline
enthusiast

Virginia USA
Harness: Crotchless harnesses with a spreader bar buckle are almost universal these days but, beyond that, harnesses are a very personal matter. I am very happy with a Hobie butt bucket (aside from the fact that it soaks up water like mad) while others would not think of wearing anything less than a full Magic Marine with the mesh panels, lumbar supports and the velcro this-and-that. See if you can borrow various harni to sail with or at least try on.

Buckles: For racing, I believe ISAF is mandating "quick release" buckles beginning in 2006. To my knowledge they have not defined what is acceptable "quick release". The common steel hook may not comply.

Handles/dogbones: I really like the Can't Miss handles but they seem cheaply made for the price they charge.

Re: Trap Harness [Re: CMerrell] #51080
06/15/05 10:18 AM
06/15/05 10:18 AM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline OP
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the info. However, I do hope we can get some more opinions here regarding harnesses. Perhaps the pros and cons to each of the three Hobie styles? Trying/borrowing different harnesses is not an option for me where I sail.

Also, I am not familiar with "Can`t Miss" handles.

Dave

Re: Trap Harness [Re: Captain_Dave] #51081
06/15/05 10:45 AM
06/15/05 10:45 AM
North Carolina
hrtsailor Offline
enthusiast
hrtsailor  Offline
enthusiast

North Carolina
I use the full Hobie harness that goes over the shoulders. The "butt bucket" type doesn't support my upper body and I get tired using it. The full harness supports my body so I feel more comfortable than even being on the tramp. There is a problem with the crotch being too tight so the "crotchless" type would be an improvement but I haven't tried one. I have been using this type harness for 20 years.

Howard

Re: Trap Harness [Re: hrtsailor] #51082
06/15/05 12:05 PM
06/15/05 12:05 PM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline OP
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Howard,

Is the full harness that you have the one with the removable shoulder straps? Also, does it hinder or support you when you are NOT on the trapeze.

I really like what you said about being more comfortable on the wire than on the tramp. Thats what I am really looking for, but not for the same reasons a typical racer might be. The small cats I have sailed in the past didn`t have trapeze and I found the tramp eventually becomes uncomfortable on my back. I kind of have this idea (hope really) that perhaps a good harness and just hanging (almost semi-seated) from the wire as opposed to really leaning out, might be a great way to sail in light to moderate air. What do you think? Am I unreasonable in my expectation, or is this a good way to go?

Dave

Last edited by Captain_Dave; 06/15/05 12:07 PM.
Re: Trap Harness [Re: Captain_Dave] #51083
06/15/05 01:14 PM
06/15/05 01:14 PM
Syracuse, NY Hobie Fleet 204
T
Tom Korz Offline
addict
Tom Korz  Offline
addict
T

Syracuse, NY Hobie Fleet 204
The Hobie Convertable is a combo of comfort and function AND price that is hard to beat. It also sounds like just what you are looking for. I have raced week long events in that harness and been very comfortable. The ease of in and out in great. Many of the sailors at the last Tiger Worlds were using the convertable w/o the shoulder straps.

Definately a GREAT harness.

Due to a back injury I have been forced to a full harness. But thats another story.

Tom

Re: Trap Harness [Re: Tom Korz] #51084
06/15/05 02:51 PM
06/15/05 02:51 PM
North Carolina
hrtsailor Offline
enthusiast
hrtsailor  Offline
enthusiast

North Carolina
Dave,

I don't race but enjoy sailing in good winds. I find the full basic harness to be comfortable and don't really notice much that I am wearing it when I am on the tramp. The biggest problem is in the pressure in the crotch area but I still haven't done anything about it after all these years. You might be able to hook up and lean back without going out. You might have to adjust the position of the dogbones. It is possible to come unhooked if there isn't enough tension on the hook

I can see where someone racing might not care about the shoulder straps since they are probably moving in and out a lot. For cruising, I like a good breeze where I can get out and stay out with full support.

Howard

Re: Trap Harness [Re: hrtsailor] #51085
06/15/05 04:45 PM
06/15/05 04:45 PM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline OP
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Howard,

Thanks for the info. It sounds to me like the full harness gives the best support (as one would expect) yet does not impede your movement while on the tramp. I am happy to hear this, because as I have already mentioned, I am looking for the best overall comfort and support.

Dave

Last edited by Captain_Dave; 06/15/05 04:48 PM.
Re: Trap Harness [Re: Captain_Dave] #51086
06/16/05 05:10 PM
06/16/05 05:10 PM
Central Texas
yoh Offline
yoh  Offline

Central Texas
I use a current windsurfing harness - those are very comparable to the before mentioned half harnesses. My sailing takes place mostly on local lakes - so there is a lot of tacking and in and out on the wire due to gusts. I also have an old bucket seat - I do not like it - it hurts!
When we hit to the gulf cost for a weekend and I sail in more consistent winds for extended periods of time I wish I had a full harness. Patrick

Patrick, Hobie 16 '85
Re: Trap Harness [Re: yoh] #51087
06/17/05 09:17 AM
06/17/05 09:17 AM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline OP
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
More good info! Thank you Patrick.

You guys are making this decision easier and easier for me.

One thing I still hope to hear a little more about is the Hobie Convertible harness. As it seems to me, this harness is supposed to "do it all" with regard to being both a full and half harness. However, I have usually found most combo designs in other products areas to be a compromise in more than one regard.

Can anyone provide a little comparison between the Full and Combination Hobie harnesses? Is the combo as comfortable as the full? Is it worth having the half harness ability? Anyone tried both and willing to give an opinion? Or is it Full harness all the way?

Dave

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 373 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022