06/21/05 09:48 AM
06/21/05 09:48 AM
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South A...
Clint_SA Offline OP
journeyman
Clint_SA  Offline OP
journeyman

I've just had a new cross bar put on my hobie, which came with a new mast step already attatched. I'm struggling to point and have had new shrouds made up as the old one were to long. It appears the mast base is clipping the top corners of the aluminium piece which stops rotation on the mast step. I've been advised to cut off the corners, and tap in a steel bolt, grind off the head, and this should prevent any problems. Adding to this, the previous owner has already put stainless bolts into the mast base (probably adding to the chipping off affect). Anyone done a similar job? Could do with some advice on this one...
Secondly, I'm concerned the mast step has been attatched to far forward on the crossbar, which is probably also aiding to the chipping off affect as I bring the mast further back. Where about should it be positioned as I understand the newer boats have it further back than the older boats..

Dubulamanzi
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Mast step [Re: Clint_SA] #51422
06/23/05 05:10 PM
06/23/05 05:10 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
You would be talking parts built in France now. That is their territory. Our step position is determined by the post and that has not changed. Got a chip in the cup? I would bet the base (stainless additions) is causing the problems.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Mast step [Re: mmiller] #51423
06/24/05 02:04 AM
06/24/05 02:04 AM
Clint_SA Offline OP
journeyman
Clint_SA  Offline OP
journeyman

Thanks for the response-was getting worried there. I suspected the base was the original problem and even showed the local dealer here the base. He seemed to think it would be no problem. Maybe I should just put a new mast base on the mast? I assume this stainless steel job I described is not common practise? From that, I assume most of the guys sailing just have aluminium base and step components, and these last and are not prone to breaking quickly? Or are these 'wear & tear replaceable' parts on a frequent basis (1-2 years)?

Dubulamanzi
Re: Mast step [Re: Clint_SA] #51424
06/24/05 01:26 PM
06/24/05 01:26 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
Adding stainless stops to the step casting is something I have seen, but to the base? Had not seen that.

In France they thickened the stops some time ago to help reduce wear. In the USA we did it before the 16 Worlds in Mexico last year. The step has a taller and thicker stop that matches the base stops better when using typical mast rake. We had use-hours on the boats there that were similar to sailing a full year of normal regattas. The new castings showed minimal wear. Makes me think they will last many more years than the original stuff.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Mast step [Re: Clint_SA] #51425
10/04/05 05:43 AM
10/04/05 05:43 AM
Hingham, MA
richardinhingham Offline
stranger
richardinhingham  Offline
stranger

Hingham, MA
On the subject of mast steps. I am a TOTAL newbie, and since I am up in the soon-to-be-frigid north I am not going to get much sailing in on my Hobie 16 for some time. I just bought a used boat in aged but undamaged shape. It needs some (a LOT) of cosmetic work. BUT there is one thing totally puzzling me.

The bottom of the mast is an oval shape. The mast step (on top of the dolphin striker) is a smaller round shape. It SOUNDS as though I need at least a teflon ball to go in that socket, but I do not see any method for fastening the mast to the step. I DO see the pin on the step, but no corresponding holes on the mast. Do I have the right mast? It appears in all other ways to be the H16 mast, but I HAVE sailed plenty of boats and usually I can figure out how the heck to put the mast together. What am I missing?

Re: Mast step [Re: richardinhingham] #51426
10/04/05 07:26 AM
10/04/05 07:26 AM
St. Louis, MO
hobienick Offline
enthusiast
hobienick  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
Richard,

You are saying that you see no way to attach the mast to the mast step after the mast has been raised, correct? If so, the Hobie 16, and most other beach cats, do not have a pin or bolt that holds the mast in place. It needs to be allowed to rotate freely on the mast step up to the rotation limiters on the H16.

So, gravity holds the mast on the mast step. The shrouds and forestay keep it from falling off the step when capsized. The slack in the shroud is less than the distance needed for the mast to pop off, when they are tightened correctly.

You are correct about a plastic disc needing to be between the mast and the mast step.

The details on how the mast step pins to the mast for stepping depend on the age of your boat. Do you know the year of manufacture? Look on the transoms of the hulls. You should see a hull number etched into the gelcoat. The year of manufacture are the last two numerical digits in this number.

I know this is a silly question, but is there a mast base? It should be a cast aluminum piece that rivits into the bottom of the mast. If it is just the extrusion on the bottom, you will need to by a mast base. Also, pics would be helpful if you can.

Good luck!

Nick

Current Boat
Looking for one

Previous Boats
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
'74 Pearson 30
St. Louis, MO
Re: Mast step [Re: richardinhingham] #51427
10/04/05 10:38 AM
10/04/05 10:38 AM
Fort Loramie, Ohio
jmhoying Offline
enthusiast
jmhoying  Offline
enthusiast

Fort Loramie, Ohio
The base of your mast should look something like the one in this drawing. After the mast is raised, the hinge is un-pinned to allow the mast to rotate while sailing.
[Linked Image]

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

Jack Hoying Fort Loramie, Ohio
Re: Mast step [Re: richardinhingham] #51428
10/04/05 01:23 PM
10/04/05 01:23 PM
Virginia Beach
Sunvista Offline
journeyman
Sunvista  Offline
journeyman

Virginia Beach
I DO see the pin on the step, but no corresponding holes on the mast.
The mast base has a little aft protrusion with the hole in it. It could have broken off. Mine did. If you see a jagged edge on the aft side of the mast base it is probably gone. You'll just need an extra person to steady the base of the mast when stepping.

Re: Mast step [Re: Sunvista] #51429
10/04/05 02:11 PM
10/04/05 02:11 PM
St. Louis, MO
hobienick Offline
enthusiast
hobienick  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
I would shy away from having someone steady the base of the mast when stepping. Too many things can go wrong and the person steady the base of the mast can get hurt pretty bad. Get the new mast base if yours is broken. This is fairly important part.

Nick

Current Boat
Looking for one

Previous Boats
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
'74 Pearson 30
St. Louis, MO
Re: Mast step [Re: hobienick] #51430
10/04/05 09:31 PM
10/04/05 09:31 PM
Hingham, MA
richardinhingham Offline
stranger
stranger

Hingham, MA
Nick!

WOW! THANKS! Both of the posts I got are very helpful. The boat is 1977 H-16. I am attaching a picture of the mast and the mast step. I ran out and took them in the dark with a flash, so quality is less than perfect.

I know this is a silly question, but is there a mast base? It should be a cast aluminum piece that rivits into the bottom of the mast.

IF the mast base is a cast aluminum plug that fits into the bottom of the extrusion, then I have one, and you can see it in my blurry photos. If not then I do not, but I THIHK I have it. BUT the other parts shown on the next response are not present.

If it is just the extrusion on the bottom, you will need to by a mast base. Also, pics would be helpful if you can.

Good luck!

THANKS!

Attached Files
58920-h16mast.jpg (305 downloads)
Re: Mast step [Re: jmhoying] #51431
10/04/05 09:37 PM
10/04/05 09:37 PM
Hingham, MA
richardinhingham Offline
stranger
stranger

Hingham, MA
Matt,

The drawing is fabulous but I suspect I need many of these parts, as NONE of them look familiar. As I mention above I have a '77 boat, and apparently I am missing the ball and (perhaps) some parts on the mast base. And EVERYTHING of the hinge assembly and pins, etc. SOUNDS like my boat may need some updating along with those missing parts. I am still boggled thinking of the mast just sort of floating on the teflon ball, but I like the idea. But I am pretty confident I would do all sorts of damage to either the boat or my body in trying to step the mast!

THANKS I now have a pretty good idea of what I need!

Richard

Re: Mast step [Re: richardinhingham] #51432
10/05/05 08:08 AM
10/05/05 08:08 AM
St. Louis, MO
hobienick Offline
enthusiast
hobienick  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
Richard,

You have a pretty good Hobie fleet in Mass Fleet 28 that can help you out. I would be more than happy to meet with you and your boat, but I just moved from Salem, MA to Annapolis, MD.

Try to get hold of someone in the Fleet 28 and have them go over your boat. Or, trailer it up to Fay's Boat Yard, the "local" Hobie dealer and they can go over it with you and get you all of the parts you need. I used them for years and they are very nice guys who know the boats.

I would need a better pic to see what exactly you have at the base of your mast. A shot up into the mast base would be helpful as well as a a shot of the mast step.

Good Luck

Nick

Current Boat
Looking for one

Previous Boats
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
'74 Pearson 30
St. Louis, MO
Re: Mast step [Re: hobienick] #51433
10/05/05 10:37 AM
10/05/05 10:37 AM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
I'll take a shot at this...

richardinhingham - This is actually NOT a HOBIE 16.

The picture is pretty blury, but the shape of the mast is not Hobie. The fact that none of the parts look correct to him and the mention of the mast sitting on a ball...

- richardinhingham - On the subject of mast steps. I am a TOTAL newbie, and since I am up in the soon-to-be-frigid north I am not going to get much sailing in on my Hobie 16 for some time. I just bought a used boat in aged but undamaged shape. It needs some (a LOT) of cosmetic work. BUT there is one thing totally puzzling me.

The bottom of the mast is an oval shape. The mast step (on top of the dolphin striker) is a smaller round shape.

How about an over all photo of the boat so we can determine the correct model... then talk about the hardware more correctly for this boat.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Mast step [Re: mmiller] #51434
10/05/05 04:46 PM
10/05/05 04:46 PM
Hingham, MA
richardinhingham Offline
stranger
stranger

Hingham, MA
Hey Matt!

I think you are RIGHT about the mast. I HAVE sailed a Hobie 16 (though a while back) but I never had to rig the mast--just sailed it off the beach. I am attaching the mast picture, then another post with the scattered pieces of the boat in a picture. If it is NOT an H16 then it is a clever forgery....

BUT THE MAST SEEMS WRONG. The person who sold me the boat has a garage full of stuff, and this mast was the closest thing to right--and I did not see any OTHER masts around, other than one for a windsurfer, two for old sailfish, and one that looks like it belongs on about a 27 foot keelboat.

Hope these daylight pictures are helpful. THANKS for your feedback. I will contact the local fleet as well, and this weekend I can go back and see about finding the right mast if this looks wrong to the rest of you!

I'll take a shot at this...

richardinhingham - This is actually NOT a HOBIE 16.

Attached Files
58985-h16 mast?.jpg (155 downloads)
Re: Mast step [Re: mmiller] #51435
10/05/05 04:47 PM
10/05/05 04:47 PM
Hingham, MA
richardinhingham Offline
stranger
stranger

Hingham, MA
Here are the pieces of the boat!

Attached Files
58986-hobie 16 pieces.jpg (168 downloads)
Re: Mast step [Re: richardinhingham] #51436
10/06/05 12:43 AM
10/06/05 12:43 AM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
The hulls and tramp frame are a Hobie, but the mast looks wrong. Hard to see, but if that is the bottom, it looks like a flat plate. Would need a different base at the least.

The 16 mast is about 26 feet long too. Has a base that has a knob on it. That knob fits into the step casting on the front x bar. The step is a cup.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Mast step [Re: richardinhingham] #51437
10/06/05 12:44 AM
10/06/05 12:44 AM
West Texas
JaimeZX Offline
enthusiast
JaimeZX  Offline
enthusiast

West Texas
Well you got the hulls & frame right but that definately doesn't look like an H16 mast. At least from the pictures you've posted. If you check out my website I have LOTS of pictures of my boat and that might give you a better idea of what we're looking for.
www.JaimeZX.com

But no your mast (at least from what I can make out) isn't an H16 mast unless somebody's been doing a lot of messin' with it for no apparent reason.

Warm regards, Jim
Re: Mast step [Re: richardinhingham] #51438
10/06/05 07:14 AM
10/06/05 07:14 AM
Virginia USA
CMerrell Offline
enthusiast
CMerrell  Offline
enthusiast

Virginia USA
Matt made the correct call: you do not have a H16 mast. Looks like a monohull/dinghy mast that fits in a mast step and does NOT rotate. Cat masts rotate and have a hemispherical knob on the bottom of the mast base for use with a teflon chip (H14, H16) or have a hemispherical cavity that rides on a plastic ball on the dolphin striker/cross beam (TheMightyHobie18, H20).

Re: Mast step [Re: mmiller] #51439
10/06/05 07:25 AM
10/06/05 07:25 AM
Hingham, MA
richardinhingham Offline
stranger
stranger

Hingham, MA
THANKS MATT AND JAMIE! (AND NICK WHO PROVIDED THOSE GREAT DRAWINGS, THEN I MISIDENTIFIED HIM!)

I suspect that the mast I wrote off as 'too big' is in fact the correct mast. Though I THOUGHT that it had a conventional and very large end on it. The mast I have would be too small for my Sunbird, which sports a 20' mast. So I am going back this weekend to pick up the proper mast.

I will resume pestering you soon about reconditioning the boat. Over the winter I plan to wash and carefully dry the sails and the trampoline assembly, then store them in the garage. I also think I MIGHT repair the various gouges and scratches on the hulls, then cover the boat for the winter. Jamie, you did a gorgeous job restoring a similar vintage boat--should I do all the restoration work NOW or shouidl I wait until the Spring? I HOPE I can locate the mast!

Richard

Re: Mast step [Re: jmhoying] #51440
10/06/05 07:28 AM
10/06/05 07:28 AM
Hingham, MA
richardinhingham Offline
stranger
stranger

Hingham, MA
JACK!

THANKS so much for the great drawing and diagram. As soon as I saw it I thought--uh oh, wrong mast! Excellent post and I have now twice failed to properly thank you for your contribution!

Richard

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 586 guests, and 101 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022