07/18/05 01:10 AM
P
phill Offline

veteran
phill  Offline

veteran
P

Darryl,
When we first started working on the rules it was certainly my understanding that our interntion was to come up with a set of rules that allowed one up and two up boats to race first in wins.

I still think the rules are right for this to happen.

The point you have made regarding the F18s is a very good one.
There should only be one yardstick, that is the whole point of a formula class.

Regards,
Phill

I know that the voices in my head aint real,
but they have some pretty good ideas.
There is no such thing as a quick fix and I've never had free lunch!

--Advertisement--
Re: it is all relative [Re: Darryl_Barrett] #53306
07/18/05 01:15 AM
07/18/05 01:15 AM
BrianK Offline
addict
BrianK  Offline
addict

Hello all,

I just got back from vacation in the mountains, no internet, no cell, life was good. If this post rambles its because its almost 2 am and I just drove 10 hours.

First of all, for the Harken series the number of boats required to make a fleet was dropped from the normal 5 to 4 to help get participation in the series going.

In the case of the F16 class, Woot pretty much summed it up. According to portsmouth, the Sloop and Uni have different numbers and were scored using those numbers at Daytona. The F16 sailors, from what I was told, did not ask to be scored together.

The main purposes of the Harken series is to promote catamaran sailing and to promote one-design/formula classes. It is not a goal of the series to dictate which classes are allowed or how those classes should be run.

It is up to each class to promote themselves and to determine the rules of their class.

It is up to the F16 class to decide how they want to be scored, as seperate fleets or all together. Certainly there has to be some organization and discussion within the sailors on this issue. It sounds like this discussion has begun, so when you figure it out just let me know and we will score the class accordingly.

BTW, considering F16 vs F18, it is my opinion that the F16 class has different goals than the F18. I dont see the F18 class ever scoring uni boats with the sloops. Again, in my opinion, this is a selling boat for the F16 class, offering something that the F18 class does not, the opportunity to sail head to head uni vs sloop (with spins). That is, if you folks decide to go that way.

Brian Karr
Harken Series
1Design.Net

Re: it is all relative [Re: BrianK] #53307
07/18/05 02:16 AM
07/18/05 02:16 AM
South Australia
Darryl_Barrett Offline
old hand
Darryl_Barrett  Offline
old hand

South Australia
So, as I read your post Brian you are saying that it really is up to the actual "class" to decide which way they are going to go? That sounds completely logical to me and should offer the right information to all concerned who are interested in the stability and proliferation of formula racing

Re: it is all relative [Re: Darryl_Barrett] #53308
07/18/05 06:43 AM
07/18/05 06:43 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
So, as I read your post Brian you are saying that it really is up to the actual "class" to decide which way they are going to go? That sounds completely logical to me and should offer the right information to all concerned who are interested in the stability and proliferation of formula racing

I don't know about Australia, but in the U.S. we do not yet have a United States Formula 16 Class Association.

Which comes first: Waiting until there are enough boats to form a class association, or forming a class association and promoting it and trying to get more boats into that class?

In either case, it is not conducive to building the F16 class if there are two separate handicap ratings for uni and sloop.

In the United States it still is not clear whether there is any strong commitment to the Formula 16 concept on the part of the Taipan 4.9's here.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 458 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022