09/22/05 12:01 PM
09/22/05 12:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The was a brief discussion in the recent Stealth video thread about mast raising. Rather than hijack that further I'd like to start a separate discussion and am interested in hearing from folks about their mast raising techniques, especially when solo.

I have so far mananged to raise the mast on my Blade solo from the rear, based more or less on the two-person method described on the AHPC site. However it's pretty hard work, and I don't feel real secure. I tried rigging a line from a trap dogbone to a block attached to the forestay bridle to enable me to provide some forward pull while I'm on the tramp. I'm unsure whether that was actually helpful, but it at least made me feel a little more secure.

Stephen Medwell described how A cat sailors in Australia raise from a 45 degree angle to the bows, and this method is also described on the F16 site. I tried this yesterday and just couldn't make it work. In order to get the near shroud attached before raising, the angle really does have to be about 45 degrees, and what I found was that I then ended up having to straddle and then step over the bow of the near hull in order to be able to walk the mast up.

I'm wondering if I'm trying to do this too slowly - since I'm still learning the dynamics of this thing I'm a little tentative and doing everything slowly in an attempt to maintain control. Maybe I need to be more agressive and just push the thing up in one rapid motion.

What are the rest of you doing?

Mark.

--Advertisement--
Re: Mast raising [Re: ] #57790
09/22/05 12:13 PM
09/22/05 12:13 PM
Scotland
George_Malloch Offline
George_Malloch  Offline

Scotland

What are the rest of you doing?

Getting someone else to help!

Stealth www.peyc.org.uk
Re: Mast raising [Re: George_Malloch] #57791
09/22/05 12:29 PM
09/22/05 12:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sure, and most of the time that will be fine. Nonetheless I really would like to know I can do it by myself if I need to.

Mark.

Re: Mast raising [Re: ] #57792
09/22/05 01:51 PM
09/22/05 01:51 PM
Essex, UK
Jalani Offline
veteran
Jalani  Offline
veteran

Essex, UK
OK, single handed raising of the mast on my Stealth (did this just yesterday):

1. line boat up with trailer arranged behind to be able to use mast support at around hounds position

2. connect all wires except forestay (obviously)

3. hull is arranged so that sterns are sitting on protectors whilst bows are slightly raised by virtue of sitting on launching trolley (I also shove the rolled up cover in front of the trolley wheels to prevent it moving)

4. run a line from the forestay, through the bridle shackle and back to the mast base (I loop it throught the diamonds so it stays there)

5. with the mast firmly on the mast ball and having checked that all wires are clear of getting caught, I walk the mast up to vertical

6. while holding the mast up with one hand I pull in on the line from the bridle and, when tight, tie it SECURELY to the diamond wire

7. quickly move forward to the bridle, reeve the forestay lashing through the bridle shackle and tighten up

8. set up the rigging at your leisure......

I've found it helps if there is some breeze and you can rig with the wind behind you

John Alani
Re: Mast raising [Re: ] #57793
09/22/05 02:21 PM
09/22/05 02:21 PM
Central California
ejpoulsen Offline
old hand
ejpoulsen  Offline
old hand

Central California
Paul and I have this down to a science--both of us can step the mast from the front alone. And I believe the Blade rig is just the same as the Taipan.

1. Remove the boat fromt the trailer and place it on the dolly next to but a bit behind the trailer.

2. Connect the pin in the mast base and rest the top end of the mast--at about 30-40 degree angle--on the front trailer mast support. This is a good time to get all the wires sorted out and connect the top of the trap wires. Also, run the spinnaker halyard at this point and tie the loose end to something.

3. Hook up the forestay/bridles and side stay on the trailer side.

4. Get the spinnaker sheet running through its block next to the other side stay and then tie the sheet to the unconnected side stay.

5. Push up the mast, watching that you don't trip on the bow.

6. While holding up the mast, tension the spinnaker sheet; that pulls the unconnected side stay right to where you need to connect it.

7. Walk around--still holding the sheet tight--and connect the side stay.

To lower the mast, just reverse the process, beginning with attaching the spinnaker sheet to the side stay.

Oh, and once again, don't forget to run the spinnaker halyard before raising.

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California
Re: Mast raising [Re: ] #57794
09/23/05 04:57 AM
09/23/05 04:57 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi all,

amazing how many different systems to get mast up. Of course I think mine is best but you are welcome to dissagree.

I have been using this system to raise mast on my own for 8 years or so. In our area winds can be very high so it is also designed to give total support and control at all stages.

First boat is on rollers pointed into wind.

Mast is layed on ground straight in front of boat, bridle is already in place, mast step is lifted into position held in place by pin.

All stays and trap wires are attached to mast and layed on ground, forestay is tied loosely to bridle, (giving it enough rope that when upright mast lays back against forestay as it is past vertical).

At this stage I tie or clip trap wires to rope on main beam that later take the turning block for spin. (if you dont have these you can put light rope on beam just for this job and leave it there).

Then I slip sidestays in between ropes at bottom of trap wires so they don't swing about and get tangled up. Now I run spin halyard and tie end to bridle again stopping it from getting tangled.

Then walk to what ever height it is OK to pick up your mast at, and raise it over head and walk toward boat walking hands up mast as you go, until it is upright then let it rest gently against forestay. It is now held sideways by trap wires and can not fall down, so you can move side to side and connect sidestays.

Then move traps to normal position and tension forestay and tie off.

The advantage I have found of this system is the only thing you need to step over is the bridle and there is nothing for stays etc. to get caught on. Something I often find myself helping others with rear raising masts as they get caught half way up.

Hope it makes sense to you all.

Regards Gary.

Re: Mast raising [Re: ] #57795
09/23/05 06:58 AM
09/23/05 06:58 AM
Port Noarlunga, SA, Australia
D
Darryn Offline
addict
Darryn  Offline
addict
D

Hook up the stays, stand on the tramp, pick the mast up and shove it in the mast step, tighten forestay but then again it is a Mosquito, fastest boat....in the rigging area.
Dont tell me the SUPERWING is slower to rig? Unbelievable, whats Wouter have to say on the matter?
Darryn
Mosquito

Re: Mast raising [Re: Darryn] #57796
09/23/05 10:25 AM
09/23/05 10:25 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Well,

I just hook the stays up except the forestay and walk the mast up from the rear. But I'm 6 foot 2 and I have no trouble lifting the superwing mast above my head and stepping onto the trampoline from the rear. Then again I singlehandedly walk up my 110 kg boat up a sandy inclined after sailing so I guess I have well developped upper leg muscles.

Mostly I ask a passer-by to grap a trap line and walk forward to keep the mast up when I step of the trampoline and grap the forestay and fix it to the bridle. Than I thank the passer by for those 10 seconds of his time and I tension my rig from the rear by pulling on a trap line with my mainsheet and adjusting my side sid. This I can singlehandedly.

When nobody is around then I just tie a line to my forestay or trapline and run it through the shackle of the bridles so I can pull it tight when the mast is up and tie it off loosely. But honestly this has not happened to me often. Up till now there was always somebody around to grap the trapline for 10 seconds. Any person (not only cat sailors) will do.

At one time I though about placing a strong bungee between the forestay and bridle strop. With the wind coming from behind a relatively small force would be enough to keep the mast up.

But the idea I really want to try it to tie a line to my forestay which I run through my bridle shackle and then through both the spi halyard cleat and the maintraveller car before I tie it too the main halyard itself. This creates a loop that is slack when the mast is horizontal, but when the mast is raied the loop tightens and pull the line through the shackle AND the spi halyard cleat. When the mast is almost upright the loop goes tight and pulls the line into the spi halyard cleat. Now the line to the forestay is secured in the cleat and the mast can't move back. And this system can be execute in reverse where you uncleat with your foot while pulling your mast backwards.

Does anybody understand what I mean here ?

I really believe this to be the most easy system and quickest system. But I agree that it will only suit poeple who have no issues with walking up the mast from the rear singlehandedly. I, for one, have no such issues.

I can't step from the front as I have a selftacking rail that sits right in front of my maststep.

Or should I draw out my idea for you guys ?

The amount of slack when the most is horizontal to a tight loop when it is standing upright is about 2.1 mtrs (= nearly exactly the distance between the cleat and rear traveller car. The use of the traveller car is important in this loop method. As it causes the loop to tighten at the right time and take out slack/pulling the forestay in to its final poistion..

Wouter

I'm sure a more elegant way is possible

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Mast raising [Re: ] #57797
09/23/05 01:51 PM
09/23/05 01:51 PM
P
phill Offline

veteran
phill  Offline

veteran
P

Mark,
I use the exact same system as described by Gary with a very small modification. The boat is very close, ie.1 inch or so behind the trailer and the mast starts on the trailer mast supports. Slide it back enough and push the base down to engage the step and insert pin. This prevents the mast from hitting the self tacker. Whether your trailer has a rear mast support and how high it is will determine if it will work for you. Also if the boat looks like it wants to rollback I tie a line from the bridle fitting on the hull to the trailer. There have been a couple of times with strong winds coming from behind the boat that I have tied the traveller to the main halyard before atachng the side stays to the boat but this is very rare as gravity is usually enough and I remain in front of the front beam and just lean over to attach the stays.
Taking it down is the reverse with the mast coming down into the rear trailer support. Remove the pin and allow the front to go into the front mast support.

Like I said I don't like walking on my boat and it is a bigger step up and down from the back of the Blade than a Taipan. You could solve the step up down thing by having the trailer behind the boat and mast starting in its supports but the mast has to spin through 180 deg once it is up or before it comes down.

It really gets down to whatever you feel the most comfortable with.

Whatever you decide be careful and never rush.

Regards,
Phill

I know that the voices in my head aint real,
but they have some pretty good ideas.
There is no such thing as a quick fix and I've never had free lunch!

Re: Mast raising [Re: phill] #57798
09/23/05 05:08 PM
09/23/05 05:08 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

At one time (different baot) we used a beer crate as a intermediate stepping platform before making another step up to the trampoline. I always wondered why no-one with issues stepping on to the trampoline just didn't make himself a small stepping platform at halve the height of the trampoline.

just a wild idea !

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Mast raising [Re: Wouter] #57799
09/23/05 10:19 PM
09/23/05 10:19 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I must be missing something here, because I don't think I have never seen anybody start raising the mast from the ground and then step up onto the trampoline. Sounds very difficult.

Re: Mast raising [Re: Mary] #57800
09/24/05 03:43 AM
09/24/05 03:43 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Well standard practice overhere.

The F18 and F20 guys even step their masts when the boat is still on the trailer. They drop the mast when the boat is first set on the trailer. The leave all stays attached and even the spi pole stays on the boat and hang in its own rest that is just below the one for the mast. This way they can rig when coming from the trailer very quickly. Thay however have one man on the trampoline lifting the mast up with the second guy only helping in the first meter or so. And they raise 21 kg masts (45 lbs).

I'm about to go for the same setup method.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Mast raising [Re: Wouter] #57801
09/24/05 06:26 AM
09/24/05 06:26 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well standard practice over HERE is to have a crane mounted on your trailer to lift up the mast and set it on the base.

Re: Mast raising [Re: Mary] #57802
09/24/05 06:49 AM
09/24/05 06:49 AM
D
Darryn Offline
addict
Darryn  Offline
addict
D

Well standard practice over here is to have a crane mounted on your trailer to lift up the mast and set it on the base.

That would be a an impressive trailer
Anyway, I rig on the trailer and stand on the tramp supporting my 13kg, 8.5metre, mast as I figure that my weight plus the mast has got to be less then two sailors on the tramp if the boat was two up, my boat also has the advantage of a fore and aft centre beam. The boat is supported by the main beams, not the hulls when on the trailer so no harm is done. I also rig up fast, contrary to other advice, I can do it in 20 minutes from arrival to hitting the water, as I do it a couple of times a week and I'm there to sail, not stuff around.
I have noted that some sailors of various classes seem to prefer rigging and unrigging to sailing as they spend hours and hours at it then nip out for a half hour sail. Strange behaviour
Darryn

Re: Mast raising [Re: Darryn] #57803
09/24/05 08:17 AM
09/24/05 08:17 AM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I thought standard practice was to ask the loveliest lady (man it Mary's case) in the boat park to help....

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
You mean something like this ? [Re: scooby_simon] #57804
09/24/05 08:28 AM
09/24/05 08:28 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

You mean something like this ?

[Linked Image]

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: You mean something like this ? [Re: Wouter] #57805
09/24/05 09:26 AM
09/24/05 09:26 AM
scooby_simon Offline
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You mean something like this ?

[Linked Image]

Wouter

Yup !

She'll do just fine; I might need some help tomorrow; could you send her over please

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Mast raising [Re: Jalani] #57806
09/24/05 02:47 PM
09/24/05 02:47 PM
rbj Offline
rbj  Offline

Speaking of shaped foam hull protectors to protect the hulls while raising the mast, I've not found them for sale anywhere. Do people make their own or buy them somewhere and if so where can I get them in the US?

Jerry

Re: Mast raising [Re: rbj] #57807
09/25/05 01:22 AM
09/25/05 01:22 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

I only know European adresses to get them. If you really want them then ordering from these may be an option.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Mast raising [Re: rbj] #57808
09/25/05 06:10 AM
09/25/05 06:10 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Rick uses gunwale fenders that he gets at West Marine. They are shaped so they curve to fit the hull, and they have straps that go over the top of the hull.

A lot of people these days are using swim "noodles," those long cylindrical foam things that kids use in swimming pools. They put a line through it lengthwise to tie it around the hull. They seem to use them in pairs to provide more foam under the hull at the resting points. The really BIG noodles work best, but the normal ones are fine, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 625 guests, and 166 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022