09/29/05 09:35 AM
38.912, -95.37
_flatlander_ Offline OP
old hand
_flatlander_  Offline OP
old hand

38.912, -95.37
Dave,

Why do we need all these prerequisites to race? There are novice fleets.

I like the idea of cat schools at yacht clubs, you'll have to convince the ones with the money that are attempting to raise big boat fodder to change to cats. A local Hobie Fleet approached their local Yacht Club and got a multi-hull start in their bi-weekly series. Around here you might find a stray NACRA or AMF but most entry level boats that may be affordable for the young person are Hobies. The only place they could race an old Hobie would be at a non Hobie sanctioned event.

Brian is right about the title of the prior thread. The answers given here went along the same vein......
Bullswan, I've searched and still have not found the thread. I don't want to bore you all with old news.

John H16, H14
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: _flatlander_] #58170
09/29/05 09:47 AM
09/29/05 09:47 AM
BobG Offline
addict
BobG  Offline
addict

Remember that there are a multitude of catamaran sailors out there that never frequent this forum and if they do they never post.So its down to the few regulars that entertain the rest and only a few of these people are who I would consider to be the motivators that actually pull a regatta or event together.I mean when was the last time Smyth was on here or Worrell even when he was'nt in trouble with everyone.Just because you never here from them does not mean they are not active.Alot of the Semi-pro sailors have sub-grouped themselves into specialty classes(F?). Catsailor Mag has become a hub for many of us but the majority are the "Questioner" type sailor, also there are many that don't even know what Catsailor Mag. is. This all does'nt mean that cat sailing is dying ,where the interest wains in one area it grows in another.Gary has many good points.I think we are all looking for something we can count on especially a leader thats got the time to ignite the enthusiasm for the sport and then everyone else does there little part to keep it going. Cyber saing with the Catsailor can only do so much when we read that sailing is becoming less popular or another launch area is off limits,it is disconcerting but it keeps pushing on in spite of itself. BobGrubbDelray.

Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: hrtsailor] #58171
09/29/05 09:52 AM
09/29/05 09:52 AM
Houston, Texas
EasyReiter Offline
enthusiast
EasyReiter  Offline
enthusiast

Houston, Texas
Its not money, its not competition, its not complexity, it is not all the PWC, windsurfers,kayacks, climbers or soccer moms. It is a simple sails problem. TAKE SOMEONE SAILING! if they like it they will buy a boat in their price range. More importantly take a kid sailing and they will get their parents to buy a boat that they can afford. then be there when they bring it to the beach for the first time and help them set it up and make them feel looked after on the water by sailing over to them and saying hi. help them put it away after their first sail, suggest some simplifications to the rigging process.

Marc Reiter I 20 #861 Dikes, Ferries and Tramps. www.texascitydike.com
Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: _flatlander_] #58172
09/29/05 10:23 AM
09/29/05 10:23 AM
South Florida
SOMA Offline
enthusiast
SOMA  Offline
enthusiast

South Florida
John,

type in a search for:

"Re: Catsailing in Trouble?"

and " Re: How would you market beach cats?"

These are the old threads on this subject

Fred F (ex Hobie 18)
Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: RickWhite] #58173
09/29/05 01:22 PM
09/29/05 01:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Regattas are the crux of how we get people into the sport.

I hope the new york state regattas will consider letting non hobies in next year.

Matt

Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: _flatlander_] #58174
09/29/05 03:28 PM
09/29/05 03:28 PM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
Greg, Why do so many youth sailing clubs get started with the Lazer or Sunfish, why not H14's? OK, so you can't buy a trailer you can haul out six 14's to the regatta, so why don't we step up and show them how we did it in the old days? It will take another dad/coach to drive. Big deal. Sailing during the school year (i.e. colder months) would be much more pleasurable on a nice stable catamaran.

I have one acre and very understanding neighbors who kid me about the "sailor cut".

You know, you are absolutely right and I'm embarrassed I didn't think of suggesting H14's instead. Thank you. I will propose it in the morning. The colder months here are spent either snowmobiling (my son regularly drives his to school) or ice boating or skiing. At least with the snow we don't have to mow.

I think if all of us committed to take one new person sailing a week/month/year it would do a lot. Funny you don't see ANY marketing of the sport by the manufacturers except at the regatta/race level. With 15 all-sports channels on TV you think they could arrange to show it more often. Couch sailers may be tempted to try real sailing? I email the cat videos that show up here and on www.Wetasschronicles.com to my friends and associates and they all beg for more and also suggest I call them when I am going next.
Greg

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. - George Will
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" -Ronald Reagan
Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: bullswan] #58175
09/29/05 04:05 PM
09/29/05 04:05 PM
St. Louis, MO
hobienick Offline
enthusiast
hobienick  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
We have the same problem in general aviation. For a while there were very few new pilots getting into flying. Much of it had to do with costs rising due to rediculous lawsuits. The manufacturers stopped promoting it and stopped building new airplanes.

Now new pilot numbers are on the rise. It took liability law reform and a huge effort by one of the largest general aviation organizations in the world (AOPA at AOPA.org ) to start a mentoring program. Granted teh costs are much higher with flying (That's why I started sailing... to save some money) but doing exactly what has been said here. Take someone under your wing and give them the sailing bug. Continue to be there to encourage them.

Nick

Current Boat
Looking for one

Previous Boats
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
'74 Pearson 30
St. Louis, MO
Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: hobienick] #58176
10/21/05 09:52 AM
10/21/05 09:52 AM
Crofton, MD
Chris9 Offline
old hand
Chris9  Offline
old hand

Crofton, MD
Marketing sailing or catsailing one sailor at a time, or four in this case. There are four future a-class racers sitting on that tramp.

Attached Files
60034-IMG_3117.JPG (82 downloads)

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org
Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: Chris9] #58177
10/21/05 12:07 PM
10/21/05 12:07 PM
Seaford, DE
culverk Offline
stranger
culverk  Offline
stranger

Seaford, DE
I bought a Hobie 18 a few months ago. Sailed a little in college, 25 years ago, so I have a "newbie" perspective.

First, while the posts and threads on this site are wonderful and educating, experienced sailors practically speak in code. Sailing is not complicated, the LANGUAGE is complicated.

Second, because my children have no experience sailing, I replaced all the lines on my boat with new "color-coded" ones. Green is starboard jib sheet, red is port. White is main sheet. Black is traveller line. Now I tell them "Pull on the red one." They're starting to get it.

Unless one knows someone personally, how does one learn? I'm taking out as many of my teenage children's friends as I can, but honestly, I'm not qualified to teach them. Where does the overweight 46-year old go to learn?

How about a regatta where everyone agrees that in the first set of races, over say, a six-week period, the experienced skipper will let the newbie crew. Get rid of the pressure and just have some fun. In the second set of races, all the newbies get to skipper and the experienced guys/gals crew.

There is no way I'm entering a regatta, ever. It's not a matter of being concerned that I'll lose. It's a matter of being concerned that I'll do something so stupid that I'll be dangerous to other boats.

This may be politically incorrect, but I think that trying to get youth whose parents don't sail involved is a waste of time. They don't have the money, they don't have the means. Try to get the 40-year-olds, who have money, who don't want to play video games, who are still physically fit enough to do, into the sport.

My two cents' worth.....

Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: culverk] #58178
10/21/05 12:13 PM
10/21/05 12:13 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
Not entering a regatta because you're afraid you'll do damage to other boats is like saying that you wont drive on highways because you're afraid you'll damage other cars.

In other words, get out there man, the other sailors around you will recognize right away that you might be having some difficulty handling the boat and will take care of themselves around you. Then when you get back to the beach they'll be more than happy to share nuggets of information with you that will make you more comfortable out there.

Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: MauganN20] #58179
10/21/05 12:38 PM
10/21/05 12:38 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
We're talking about some initiatives at our bigger regattas to host a "basic rules" seminar - It's certainly been done before, but we're going to try and do it on a regular basis next year for that very reason. We do have some new people on the course that don't understand some basic rules...and it can get dangerous. However, there are about 4 basic right of way rules, that if you understand will keep you out of any serious trouble. Above all, making SURE the other guy knows your there can avoid most incedents!

Jake Kohl
Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: MauganN20] #58180
10/21/05 12:45 PM
10/21/05 12:45 PM
38.912, -95.37
_flatlander_ Offline OP
old hand
_flatlander_  Offline OP
old hand

38.912, -95.37
Fred,

Thanks for the directions to the old threads...good stuff

Chris,

I for one would really like to see the pic's of the "future racers"

Culverk,

We've been trying to target the 18 to 35 demographic. I don't remember how I justified getting a loan to buy a brand new H16, when I was 23, but I did it. We can never ourselves anticipate the influence on the person we're taking for rides (for me it was the pitchpole that nailed it). Cost isn't that huge, there are lot's of older cats available at reasonable prices. I've been working on a neighbor (50yo,DINK) for quite some time, he loves the H16, and when I find him one for $500 he's in, so go figure.

Maughan is right, just show up, we'd truly enjoy taking the time to help you and all newcomers.

John H16, H14
Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: MauganN20] #58181
10/21/05 02:09 PM
10/21/05 02:09 PM
Seaford, DE
culverk Offline
stranger
culverk  Offline
stranger

Seaford, DE
Maugan, I appreciate the kind thoughts, but that analogy doesn't work. I DO sail. Getting in a race is what I'm avoiding (and unfortunately, my children along with me). I can drive a car on the freeway perfectly well. That doesn't mean I'm welcome on the local stock car track. At least not without some training.

I wish that the cameraderie that you suggest were true here. I've been to the local sailing club a couple of times. I can bearly get them to talk to me about taking my money, much less helping educate me.

Maybe we're just not fully evolved...

Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: _flatlander_] #58182
10/21/05 02:23 PM
10/21/05 02:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi there, to promote cat-sailing for kids you need the right boat. Last christmas my children, 8 and 7 years old, got a 10 year old Newcat 12, given by there grand-father. It's a french rotomoulded 12 feet cat, very friendly and forgiving boat. It's like a scaled-down Dart 18. It tacks real easy, is as fast as a Laser and allmost imposible to dive the bows into the water! My oldest son has two years of experience in the Optimist, and off-course I took them since they were 3 years old on my Prindle. This season the've sailed the Newcat with wind up till 4 beaufort, no problem, great fun!

Shame I only have a picture from the baot in the back-yard!

Arend

Attached Files
60052-Newcat.jpg (88 downloads)
Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: ] #58183
10/21/05 03:06 PM
10/21/05 03:06 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Culverk

We have all been where you are now. Just read US Sailings "Rules in brief" at http://www.ussailing.org/rules/RulesInBrief.htm and you will do fine. You will probably be a bit off the pace of the hardcore racers, so you will have plenty of time to observe rundings etc.
Most sailors dont really know all the rules, and lots and lots of sailors misinterpret them (that's how most protests originate).

Dont worry, study the rules in brief, sail conservatively and you will do fine. You will not know if racing is for you until you have given it a serious chance.

Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: culverk] #58184
10/21/05 03:10 PM
10/21/05 03:10 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Culverk,

THERE's your problem. The majority of sailing clubs are not terribly inviting to catamaran sailors. We're lucky that our local club (Keowee Sailing Club) here in S.C. is very open and has a lot of catamaran people involved with the organization. Look around for local catamaran clubs ... they're usually online and although they don't usually have any property, they still organize events and races at parks etc. That's where you'll find the comraderie

Jake Kohl
Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: Jake] #58185
10/21/05 03:25 PM
10/21/05 03:25 PM
St. Louis, MO
hobienick Offline
enthusiast
hobienick  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
Culverk,

Jake is right, catamarans are not liked by those in the mono-slugs. It's mostly due to serious boat envy, IMHO.

I know there are some guys in DE that sail cats. It's not a very big state, so meeting them on a beach should be pretty easy. Feel free to walk up to them and start asking questions. We are a pretty freindly group and love to talk about out cats.

If you are worried about the general sailing lingo. get a book and read up on the subject. Winter is great for that. Too cold to sail (for most of us) but you cna always read about sailing.

I also wouldn't leave out the demographic of under 40 for getting people interested in cat sailing. I was in college with almost no money when I bought my first cat (Hobie 16) for $500. I found it for a great deal. It wasn't pretty, but it worked just fine. If someone is interested enough in sailing they will find a way to buy a used boat and get on the water. I even found someone who is giving me an H14 this weekend. My wife wanted a smaller boat she could sail solo.

Nick

Current Boat
Looking for one

Previous Boats
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
'74 Pearson 30
St. Louis, MO
Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: hobienick] #58186
10/22/05 11:41 PM
10/22/05 11:41 PM
Andrew Offline
enthusiast
Andrew  Offline
enthusiast

The Houston area's Texas City Dike Yacht Club (mostly multihulls, super-laid-back, no dues) includes a novice class in every regatta it runs. If you think you might be a novice, you probably are. You win Novice a time or two, you move up. They get extra instruction and their own start.

Andrew Tatton Nacra 20 "Wiggle Stick" #266 Nacra 18 Square #12
Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: Andrew] #58187
10/23/05 03:15 PM
10/23/05 03:15 PM
Panama City, Florida
Redtwin Offline
addict
Redtwin  Offline
addict

Panama City, Florida
That sounds like a good idea... different start for newbies. I'm assuming that most groups are super laid back, but it can still be intimidating for a newcomer. I went out and watched the Fall Series #2 here yesterday and realized that these groups are very newbie friendly. I've never raced before but I think I would be comfortable among this group, though I would probably still be viewing them from far away. They all looked very fast.

-Rob V.
Panama City
Nacra 5.2

Rob V. Nacra 5.2 Panama City
Re: Promoting Catamaran Sailing [Re: hobienick] #58188
10/23/05 06:40 PM
10/23/05 06:40 PM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
Feel free to walk up to them and start asking questions. We are a pretty freindly group and love to talk about out cats.

I don't know about any of you but I can see how it would be pretty intimidating to walk up to a bunch of guys laughing and joking around and ask what would probably be a stupid question like, "How do you get the boat to go frontwards instead of backwards when the wind is blowin straight at the side of your boat?"

So if the goal is to get people comfortable racing then I have a plan...............

Here is my idea....... Match up experienced cat sailors with people who want to learn one-on-one. I'd like to think there would be enough of us who would sacrifice an afternoon with a newbie one-on-one. Maybe not? I think the clubs should advertise the opportunity for a new boat owner to get some personalized help so that they can be safe on the water for all of us. I know if I had never raced before I would be scared s#$tless, even in a newbie race, that I would do something wrong and be torpedoed by the race boat.

We have a rule at the golf course where we run a league that you have to play with a member of the league a couple of times during non-league time to get your feet wet and to learn the rules of golf that we play by. When we started this boot camp the thinking was we would guys to play who now know the rules and their comfort level would be higher when the real action starts. The guys who have gone through this boot camp have said that they felt much more comfortable when the real matches began because they knew what to expect and they knew someone to have a beer with after the round.

I think the sailing boot camp would accomplish the same thing.

Greg

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. - George Will
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" -Ronald Reagan
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 321 guests, and 100 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022