11/09/05 02:34 PM
P
pkilkenny Offline OP
enthusiast
pkilkenny  Offline OP
enthusiast
P

Hey All,

I'm about to order a new Mainsail for my AHPC wingmasted Taipan and i've a few questions if you've got a second:

- what is the actual sail area ( excluding area of the mast) i should order so that the sail + mast measures compliant ?

- i'm going big head (800 - 900 mm) - is this too big a head (hydrocephalic ?) ? Will I suffer in big wind w/ this sail (last two seasons have raced in a true range of wind velocities and pretty equally) ?

- I sail solo w/ gennaker only and have always felt my stock main was not optimal. What makes your replacement main faster than the sloop main ( cut , camber , roach...) ?

- ordering from Glaser Sails because the I14 and Acat(world champs A2) crowd where I sail all have 'em or want 'em - if you've a second, could you comment on the Acat sail design on their website as my sail will be essentially the same (www.glasersails.com).

Thank You -

Paul

Attached Files
61163-MVC-027S.JPG (322 downloads)
--Advertisement--
Re: New Mainsail Questions [Re: pkilkenny] #60620
11/09/05 03:34 PM
11/09/05 03:34 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline

Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
I think these points was discussed in an earlier thread, was it the "Agent Orange" one?

Big head: consensus (and experience) is that this is the way to go. More power in light winds and easier to depower in higher winds.

Differences uni-sloop mainsail: The sloop main is very different in the area backwinded by the jib. Flatter with draft further aft, different entry angle. The uni have a more uniform draft. Some feel that they can trim a sloop main to compensate for the diffence in cut with outhaul.

Glaser Sails: Jay Glaser has been around for a long time. He was the brain behind his and and Randys early sailmaking efforts (at least this is what I have been told). He knows what he is doing.
I would ask Jay about any experiences and knowledge about the AHPC Superwing mast you have. If he doesn't know how this specific mast bends and what kind of rotation it should be sailed with, the luff curve will probably not match the mast. The results will not be 'stellar' in that case..
If he has no experience with your mast, I would have checked what the australian sailmakers can offer. Both Ashby and Goodall are known to build good sails in the style you want for your specific boat and mast.

Re: New Mainsail Questions [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #60621
11/09/05 07:53 PM
11/09/05 07:53 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Here's a question: Are two mainsails allowed at one regatta? ie. use the smaller of the two if it's blowing snot on one day and the fat head if it's light on the other day? Some classes only allow a single set of sails to be used for the entire regatta, even if it's a week long event. Is that true of the F16 rules? Thanks.

Blade F16
Re: New Mainsail Questions [Re: Timbo] #60622
11/09/05 09:27 PM
11/09/05 09:27 PM
P
pkilkenny Offline OP
enthusiast
pkilkenny  Offline OP
enthusiast
P

Rolf ,

Thank you - I went back and read the "Code Orange" thread - good stuff. Also Gary's comments re: avoiding hooking the broad head main offwind is an astute and valuble bit of info to pass on... I suspect a wide head main will mean alot more
trimming and on the fly tweaking - we'll see.

Jay Glaser has cut sails for the superwing mast previous to my order - i've no doubt the sail will be perfect and will represent one less credible excuse if my results fail to improve in '06 !

Timbo - betcha Wouter will know the answer to this question.My thought is that in cats (unlike skiffs where raking and loads of gnav will only gain you so much control in 20kts. + ; so second smaller rig/sail makes sense).I've noticed that derotation and lots of cunningham and sheet tension keeps and 8 foot wide F16 pretty under control in 30+kts. ...

Thanks Again,

Paul

Attached Files
61179-DSCF0025.JPG (160 downloads)
Re: New Mainsail Questions [Re: Timbo] #60623
11/10/05 04:01 AM
11/10/05 04:01 AM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
Carpal Tunnel

Looking for a Job, I got credi...
Here's a question: Are two mainsails allowed at one regatta? ie. use the smaller of the two if it's blowing snot on one day and the fat head if it's light on the other day? Some classes only allow a single set of sails to be used for the entire regatta, even if it's a week long event. Is that true of the F16 rules? Thanks.

Standard SI's usually say no unless as sail id damaged beyond repair and so a replacement is required.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: New Mainsail Questions [Re: pkilkenny] #60624
11/10/05 06:41 AM
11/10/05 06:41 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Paul,

see class rule

4.4.1 A single suit of sails is authorised for the duration of an event.

It is part of section C ; rules governing events.

This rules is kind of strict but in case of large damage a REPLACEMENT sail may be had. But this is up to racing committee. Spirit of rule will then take precedence over the letter of the rule. Your example however is disallowed.

With respect to mainsails : I would go with a sailmaker that has experience and well developed knowlegde of the boat type and mast section. Especially the last. Glasers A-cat experience will certainly help in this respect as these rig behave similar to the superwing. But still the A-cats are carbon masts and the superwing is aluminium. They will still bend a little bit differently even it their bending mode it the same. Glaser must have bending numbers for your mast that were experimentally acquired or else his mainsail will be inferiour to say a Asbhy or Goodall. Make sure this is the case. Note that a sailmaker that makes excellent sail for oen boat type doesn't not have to be equally skilled in making sails for a different boat type.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: New Mainsail Questions [Re: Wouter] #60625
11/10/05 10:32 AM
11/10/05 10:32 AM
P
pkilkenny Offline OP
enthusiast
pkilkenny  Offline OP
enthusiast
P

Hiya Wouter !!

Regarding Glaser sails and matching a superwing mast:

- i've enough experience now (three seasons of racing- two in cats !), to realize how little I know compared to most other seasoned sail athletes ; so , developmentally i'm in the, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" phase (having graduated from the "knowing nothing is a VERY dangerous thing", phase...).Since I know little , I have to do lots of research and ask lots of questions before making a purchase like a new main.I've done this and have no doubt that Jay will make me a main that conveys the sort of compatibility to my mast that Ronald and Nancy ("mommie") Reagan enjoyed in their well documented marriage (...well, before Ronald slipped into dimentia and and later , of course , when he died...).

The sail will be right and fast , if i had a doubt i'd go with the tried and true (Goodall, Landenberger,Ashby, Irwin{?}...).

Expect a full report will follow !

PK

Attached Files
61207-DSCF0045.JPG (156 downloads)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 603 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022