12/13/05 04:00 PM
12/13/05 04:00 PM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
I don't wear glasses or contacts but my son wears glasses all the time. He doesn't want to wear them sailing for fear of losing them but I suspect he would enjoy the sport that much more if he could see!
I see I have 2 options and I'd like an opinion from those who have tried either...... Prescription goggles (like swimmers wear) at $ 130. OR some type of goggle that would fit over his glasses like he has for snow skiing. (There is another option I guess like a string or floaty around the back of his head tied to the glasses....)
I see the BARZ googles come in prescription but where he is only 10 his prescriptions are still changing. What does everyone do? Any thoughts?
Thanks
Greg

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. - George Will
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" -Ronald Reagan
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: bullswan] #62858
12/13/05 04:21 PM
12/13/05 04:21 PM
38.912, -95.37
_flatlander_ Offline
old hand
_flatlander_  Offline
old hand

38.912, -95.37
They used to be refered to as "croakies". Basically a tube you wet to slide over the earpiece connected by one or two strings and a device to cinch up to the back of your noggin.

I've sailed with several people who are afraid to wear their "regular" glasses, I personally never sail without mine.

Last edited by flatlander18; 12/13/05 04:22 PM.

John H16, H14
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: bullswan] #62859
12/13/05 04:35 PM
12/13/05 04:35 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I'm a glasses wearer but I rarely wear mine on the water. I have difficulty wearing contacts but have begun to wear them after once mistaking A mark for the finish line pin earlier this year (and losing a couple of positions!). I have an astigmatism that mostly affects my depth perception. The discomfort from the contacts (My eyes don't make enough tears) is less than the pain of doing something stupid! The contacts are usually glued to my eyeball at the end of a full day on the water.

I've considered several options but the contacts coupled with sun glasses that fit tightly to my face seem to be the best combination for me...I haven't been happy enough with a single pair of sunglasses to consider spending the dough on a prescription. Although I might act like it sometimes, I'm not 10 years old either.

I've played with several different types of eye wear for races and have been pretty impressed with what a ski goggle does for blocking UV and water spray...why not wear the ski goggles over the glasses while on the water?

Jake Kohl
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: _flatlander_] #62860
12/13/05 04:58 PM
12/13/05 04:58 PM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
I got a cheap pair of perscription sunglasses the last time I got new eye glasses.

Some of the bigger chains will include a second pair of glasses or sunglasses for a reduced price. Its not going to be the most stylish set of sunglasses, but they will do the job. Some of the more generic (cheap) frames make great sunglasses. Some of the better goggles have clear, tinted and yellow lens that you can swap out for differient lighting conditions.

I wear perscription sunglasses when I sail with a string style cord and I have never lost a pair. And I have crashed plenty of times. I considered the Barz goggles, but I cant see any improvement, except that you dont get saltwater spots on the inside of the lens.

I wouldnt be able to see the marks without my glasses and having them be sunglasses helps with eyestrain.

My dad wears goggles over his glasses when he ski's with good results.

Bill

Last edited by bvining; 12/13/05 05:00 PM.
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: Jake] #62861
12/13/05 04:59 PM
12/13/05 04:59 PM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
I've played with several different types of eye wear for races and have been pretty impressed with what a ski goggle does for blocking UV and water spray...why not wear the ski goggles over the glasses while on the water?

Apparently 10 years old is when you start to care what other kids think and the idea of wearing a S-K-I goggle while swimming is "so not happening, Dad". They don't understand the trade off of what works vs. what is fashionable. I saw at Walmart today, (of all places) a ski goggle with soft padding like a ski goggle normally has but not as big and obvious as a ski goggle. (They look like the Barz goggles in the Catsailor on-line store.) I think it would work but they aren't polarized and I really think that makes a difference.
Greg

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. - George Will
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" -Ronald Reagan
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: bullswan] #62862
12/13/05 05:02 PM
12/13/05 05:02 PM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
Its important that the sunglass block UV - A and UV - B. Otherwise you are allowing the eye to open up and let all that UV into the inside of the eye.

Re: sailing with glasses [Re: Jake] #62863
12/13/05 05:05 PM
12/13/05 05:05 PM
NC
D
drbinkle Offline
addict
drbinkle  Offline
addict
D

NC
I've tried the ski goggles over glasses for skiing and they tend to fog up a lot.

I have the same problem with my contacts getting really dry after a whole day on the water. I found always wearing wrap around polarized sunglasses with contacts to work the best for comfort and vision.

From what I've tried, there is no single best solution, it's mostly personal preference.

Re: sailing with glasses [Re: bullswan] #62864
12/13/05 05:08 PM
12/13/05 05:08 PM
Bloomington, IN
jbecker Offline
jbecker  Offline

Bloomington, IN
I couldn't see the shore from the middle of a small pond without my glasses, so I wear them all the time when sailing. I use a floating "croaky" to keep them attached to my head. It's made of foam and slips over the earpieces. Most stores with sailing stuff have them. I haven't lost a pair of glasses while sailing yet.

Jeff
Tiger 849
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: jbecker] #62865
12/13/05 05:17 PM
12/13/05 05:17 PM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
The last time I got sunglasses with perscription lens the curve was limited...they wouldnt do the percription on the close fitting wrap around the face style....this was from the mall eyeglass store. Even the high end Maui Jim type sunglasses limit the amount of wrap that you can get as perscription.

In the end I settled for a less aggressive wrap style.

Re: sailing with glasses [Re: bullswan] #62866
12/13/05 05:25 PM
12/13/05 05:25 PM
Dublin, Ireland
Dermot Offline
old hand
Dermot  Offline
old hand

Dublin, Ireland
One-day contact lenses are not too expensive and could be worn on sailing days. Of course they do not give protection from the sun.

Dermot
Catapult 265
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: bullswan] #62867
12/13/05 05:42 PM
12/13/05 05:42 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

I just have a sports frame with cheap glasses. Sport frame = same as normal frame but with the little curling springs that wrap around the base of your ear.

The sport frame are flexible in the joints and can be bend back into shape without risking damage. These things are rather inexpensive and will take new glasses when needed.

I never had any troubles with these and I made some crashes in my time.

In the beginning I just used an old pair of glasses with a string that just fitted around my head. Or rather is was as band can of thing. Worked well for about 6 years, then I lost one glass in a major crash, but the frame was rather old be then over 15 years old actually. It was bound to die sometime.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: bvining] #62868
12/13/05 05:44 PM
12/13/05 05:44 PM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Its important that the sunglass block UV - A and UV - B. Otherwise you are allowing the eye to open up and let all that UV into the inside of the eye.

The Ray-Ban marketing department makes a big deal about UV protection, but the fact of the matter is that plastic (and glass) that transmits UV light is more expensive than plastic (and glass) that doesn't. All sunglasses, even the cheap ones, do a more than adequate job of blocking UV-A and UV-B light.

Re: sailing with glasses [Re: bullswan] #62869
12/13/05 05:51 PM
12/13/05 05:51 PM
Minnesota
Jeff Peterson Offline
addict
Jeff Peterson  Offline
addict

Minnesota
I am guessing, if he is greatly concerned about losing his glasses, it is because he has a large correction and is very dependent on his glasses. I feel for him, because I am in the same situation. I an very near-sighted with an Rx correction of -8.00.

It is very worth while to see well when you are sailing for every reason I can think of. For safety; for recreational enjoyment of seeing the boat, sails, and foam in action; for seeing the scenery; and for seeing the girls! It is worth the risk of loss to see well. With that said, you still don't want to loose them. If you have a high correction, it takes WEEKS to get use to a new glasses, even if its the same prescription.-So I understand the fear of losing them. Glass straps of various kinds will reduce the risk. Or, wear an older pair that are currently sitting in a drawer. Losing an old pair will not be tramatic. Or take advantage of those two for one deals the next time he gets glasses and use the 2nd for sailing.

It is worth it to see when sailing!

Jeff Peterson
H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: bullswan] #62870
12/13/05 06:09 PM
12/13/05 06:09 PM
uk
TEAMVMG Offline
veteran
TEAMVMG  Offline
veteran

uk
I wouldn't dream of sailing without specs. For one thing i wouldn't be able to find my boat on the beach even with the sails up!
I find that they protect my eyes from driving spray at speed and i can keep looking at the telltales/bows when 'two-eyed' folks have to shut them!
I just tie a very thin piece of shock cord across the back of the glasses and they have only ever had them come off once, that was when i mannaged to jam my head through the purchases of my main sheet on a gybe! even then they were safe around my neck.
I do always have a spare set taped to the boom just in case a lense falls out or something.
FOR GODS SAKE DON'T LET GLASSES PUT YOUR SON OFF OF THE SPORT.

Paul 4-eyes

Paul

teamvmg.weebly.com
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: TEAMVMG] #62871
12/13/05 06:22 PM
12/13/05 06:22 PM
Largo, Florida
papayamon2 Offline
enthusiast
papayamon2  Offline
enthusiast

Largo, Florida
But I have a question to all regarding spray. I've tried wearing glasses while sailing, but the spray coats them in no time on a decent sailing day. I sail in salt water, and it seems like after a few minutes I'm having more trouble seeing through the glasses than without them. (Fortunately, I'm not that terribly nearsighted and can make do without them.) Am I missing some well-known sailing trick to keep them clear, or what?

Kevin
Prindle 18

Re: sailing with glasses [Re: papayamon2] #62872
12/13/05 06:52 PM
12/13/05 06:52 PM
Michigan
PTP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan
But I have a question to all regarding spray. I've tried wearing glasses while sailing, but the spray coats them in no time on a decent sailing day. I sail in salt water, and it seems like after a few minutes I'm having more trouble seeing through the glasses than without them. (Fortunately, I'm not that terribly nearsighted and can make do without them.) Am I missing some well-known sailing trick to keep them clear, or what?

Kevin
Prindle 18

I have exactly the same problem- don't absolutely need them but they are nice to have but all it takes is one good spray and they are worthless. Any suggestions?

Source your son a pair of Fitover sunglasses [Re: bullswan] #62873
12/13/05 09:40 PM
12/13/05 09:40 PM
Brisbane Queensland- Australia
Q
Qb2 Offline
Qb2  Offline
Q

Brisbane Queensland- Australia
In Australia they are known as fitover sunglasses,are available from optometrists and sunglass outlets, are a wraparound and sit comfortably in front of your glasses on your nose. They come in small and larger sizes, have two main eye lenses plus a smaller one at each side and give good glare protection. They also have a rubber strip along the top of the frame which is comfortable against your forehead and gives a good spalsh seal. I tie them on with a thin tube of wetsuit material.

the only way you are going to remain completely salt free is to go to diving goggles and they cost plenty for those needing prescription lenses. i used cheap safety goggles closing the air holes with tape but they didn't have the standard eye protection factor and your eyes really felt it at the end of a day on the water.

Fitovers are about $60Au, come with a velcro sealable softcase with a clip to go on a belt. I wish I had thought of them years ago.

Re: Source your son a pair of Fitover sunglasses [Re: Qb2] #62874
12/13/05 10:03 PM
12/13/05 10:03 PM
Largo, Florida
papayamon2 Offline
enthusiast
papayamon2  Offline
enthusiast

Largo, Florida
OK, I follow the idea, but don't the goggles get salt water on them and thus become hard to see through as well? (In other words, what good is it to keep your glasses clear via a protective covering if the covering gets covered with salt?)

Not trying to be difficult here, but just curious how it works for you guys.

Thanks!
Kevin
Prindle 18

Re: sailing with glasses [Re: bullswan] #62875
12/13/05 10:12 PM
12/13/05 10:12 PM
Panama City, FL
SBeach Offline
stranger
SBeach  Offline
stranger

Panama City, FL
Croakie used to make a floatie that was just like the original croakie, but was wider in back to keep the glasses floating if they fell off. They may still make it but I haven't looked for it. Over the years I've lost three or four pair, a small price for the enjoyment of sailing. I always wear a croakie, if I can't find one then I use a string or small bungie to make one.

To clean the glasses while sailing a friend of mine showed me what he came up with, and that's a chammy cloth tied to a string. The other end of the string is tied to the shoulder of the his life jacket. The chammy is always there and ready. You need to wet the chammy before sailing with fresh water.

The goggles over glasses may be ok for some, but I don't like looking thru two lenses.

Scott

Re: Source your son a pair of Fitover sunglasses [Re: papayamon2] #62876
12/13/05 10:26 PM
12/13/05 10:26 PM
Westport, Ma. U.S.A.
Brian_Mc Offline
old hand
Brian_Mc  Offline
old hand

Westport, Ma. U.S.A.
Greg, I always wear prescription polarized sunglasses, unless it's really overcast, when I just wear regular glasses. I find the salt spray is an issue both on the lenses, and sometimes in my eyes.Could've used sealed goggles on a few occasions! I carry an extra water bottle of fresh water just to rinse the lenses. I try to remember my Croakies, and haven't lost my glasses yet(even during pitch poles)! Sunglasses have always been cool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 547 guests, and 76 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022