Hi all,

had a big day sailing yesterday, at home for a change. It was one of those days that just built and built, started in about 15-20 kts. and just went up from there with some 25 kt plus gusts I think. Very shifty in the gusts, somewhat unusual for Paynesville but very choppy through out, usual for Gippsland Lakes.

Realy getting Altered wound up, upwind in this sort of breeze again, minimal mast rotation (about 30 degrees?) downhaul Ashby main until leech is loose and flapping down to fourth batten, looks just like modern sailboard sail, feels like you have reefed the sail, knocks all the power out of it and the speed is great .

Blew away Mossies upwind, they do well in these conditions normaly, thier rig is a metre shorter. The kite hoist was hairy, but I survived to watch Mossies burning up behind me. I went too wide on aproach to bottom mark and Neil on Mossie was right behind me, pulled away upwind again. Bear away at top mark this time was really hairy, reminded me of 18 foot skiff bear aways, just no sailing between upwind and downwind . Got the main back in the centre and spinnaker up and control was possible, gybes where real hairy . Mossies capsized and I continued to keep it upright for the 4 laps, a major achievment for Altered using spinnaker each downwind as it was impossible to sail without it, going faster upwind each lap. Finished about a leg ahead of Neil, he still beat me by a minute on Yardstick though .

Lots of boats broke gear and capsized a busy day for the rescue boats but thankfully I didn't add to their troubles, most of the other sailors just can't believe I pull the kite in that breeze, it's hard to convince them I can't sail it downwind in those condition without it. Have to admit to a capsize on the way back to the club though, interesting part was this was one of the faster gybes I did which should have taken load off gybe, but pinned in main just tipped it over sideways, think I will keep the gybes slow for now, survival is key. Although I had it up quick the wind was so strong I was able to step onto tramp as it flipped up.

Looking forward to taking on Taipans, A's and F18's again, now Altered has it's groove back .

Regards Gary.