Hop To
part painting #7790
06/12/02 01:30 PM
06/12/02 01:30 PM
South Florida
89umiamiH16 Offline OP
89umiamiH16  Offline OP

South Florida
sorry to ask so many questions, i'm a newbie and i appreciate the info from those of you more experienced. i'm not into racing, just cruising so the asthetics of my boat are as important to me as the performance. is there anyway i can paint my aluminum rudder/tiller parts to be black like the newer hobies. what grade of paint am i looking at, where can i get it and how long should i expect it to last? what do i need to do as far as prepping goes? and any other info you think would be helpful. thx again.

justin

um engineering student

biscayne bay & deering estate cat sailor

justin um engineering student my H16 is older than i am
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: part painting [Re: 89umiamiH16] #7791
06/12/02 05:17 PM
06/12/02 05:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would just use flat black rustoleum spray paint. If you prep the bare metal surfaces correctly and take your time it would probably last a few years and it is cheap! Easy to touch up as well.

Re: part painting #7792
06/13/02 07:12 AM
06/13/02 07:12 AM
South Florida
89umiamiH16 Offline OP
89umiamiH16  Offline OP

South Florida
what should i do to the metal before i paint it? should i put a primer coat?

Re: part painting [Re: 89umiamiH16] #7793
06/13/02 08:07 AM
06/13/02 08:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Follow the instructions on the paint can. Lightly sand the parts with 150 grit sand paper for good adhesion. then I would wipe every thing you are going to paint with denatured alcohol to remove any oily residues. It will probably take 2 coats. I think I am going to do this to mine too.

Re: part painting #7794
06/13/02 08:09 AM
06/13/02 08:09 AM
South Florida
89umiamiH16 Offline OP
89umiamiH16  Offline OP

South Florida
thanks for the help. can't wait to try it.

Re: part painting [Re: 89umiamiH16] #7795
06/18/02 12:37 PM
06/18/02 12:37 PM
Sailortect Offline
journeyman
Sailortect  Offline
journeyman

I painted my supercat rudder castings with rustoleum white last season because they were starting to oxidize and pit unattractively. my one mistake was that I used gloss paint, which evidently required a lot more prep work than I was willing to do for a smooth finish, so I tried to smooth it out with additional coats of paint, which wound up gunking up the release mechanism a bit. in retrospect, i should've left well-enough alone.

anyway, speaking as someone who screwed it up the first time, my advice is to use a flat-finish paint which will sufficiently hide surface imperfections, and be mindful of how much goop you're accumulating on the working parts.

Re: part painting [Re: 89umiamiH16] #7796
04/26/03 04:03 PM
04/26/03 04:03 PM
H
hydroluge Offline
stranger
hydroluge  Offline
stranger
H

im new here, but i do have some experience with cast aluminum prep and finishing,
i just today used a rust oleum spray on my dolphin striker and mast base,
the BEST way to achieve a powdercoated, durable, HARD finish is to first wire brush the part with a fine wire wheel, and completely strip it of all of the corrosion that alum naturally accumulates, you want a shiny, brushed surface, then wash in HOT water with a degreaser (such as dish soap, its stronger stuff than most believe, it will outdo alot of solovents given due time) after that, use a hot water rinse, be sure to wear latex gloves before removing from the water, as at this point you do not want your skin to come in contact with the aluminum, as alum after being brushed tends to "absorb" hand oils and easily become contaminated, then hang from a post in by a very small gague wire in a well ventilated area, use rustoleum clean/very lightly rusted spray primer, do 2-3 VERY LIGHT coats, the first coat should barely dust the aluminum, second should moistly cover, third should fully cover and shuld be the thickest, allowing 5 min for the first coat to dry, and 10 min drying between the last two coats, let dry for an hour in a warm dry environment, using warm DRY (moist heat will destroy your parts finish) heat, not too hot will speed the drying process and will actually harden the primer, after an hour rehang part by its wire and use your finish color of choice, i love using metallic colors, as after about 3 coats (following same process as primer) and proper drying time, it looks like metal flake powdercoating and all the tiny brush marks that "ruined" the look of your part and the pitting from corrosion, dissapears from sight,
from here you can either chose to go with this, let it stand at least a week before actually using the part, you can go ahead and install just keep dry a few days, it will count in the long run, this will last you a year, or two at the most looking half decent.
OR you can continue to put a clear coat on.
theres many acryllic and epoxy spray clear coats available today for a low price, a clear coat will not only add one more layer of abbraision and impact protection, but in some cases will protect part from uv damage such as fading, and will make your part last much longer, clear coats should be applied in a series of 8-10 very light coats, with 5-10 min between coats, pending on your choice of coating
i try to avoid laquer simply because ive had experience with it blemishing heavily under salt water conditions.
if you use a metallic, you can get a great metal flake powdercoated look, or use a flat black and achieve a great flat powder coat, rust oleum also makes an awesome paint called "hammered" now that creates that rock hard, hammered tool box look on virtually anything thats primed well, ive done skateboards, street luges, boat parts, car parts, tools in this finish and its extremely durable and looks crazy cool.
this may all sound confusing, but take the time to do it right, wait for a warm but not too hot day, make sure its not humid at all out, wind can work to your advantage if your outside, but if your in a dusty area, work in a well ventilated area out of the wind like a shed with exhaust fan running and windows open, itl matter when you find 100's of dust particles jutting out of your beutifull finished parts.
i usually move parts indoors into warm dry basement and hang there overnight, once paint has cured for about 10 min, its basicly odorless so the wife wont get on you about it.
sorry, im rambling
any other questions about metal finishing etc etc, let me know,
im planning on doing the rest of my boat in the same methods/colors as this, all the frame, mast and cast alum parts, including boom, will look snazzy
peace
jason

Re: part painting [Re: 89umiamiH16] #7797
04/28/03 07:48 PM
04/28/03 07:48 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
NZhobie Offline
stranger
NZhobie  Offline
stranger

Christchurch, New Zealand
Well, thats what happens when its the end of the sailing season here in New Zealand...and I'm just quietly reading all the threads and I see this one about painting.

Man, now I've got to go out to the garage and pull my rudder assembly apart and paint it all nice so my older 14Turbo looks like the newer boats I sail with...!

That will teach me for reading these forums instead of working on my house...

Geoff B - NZ hobie
Re: part painting [Re: 89umiamiH16] #7798
04/29/03 05:14 PM
04/29/03 05:14 PM
P
pitch_poled Offline
stranger
pitch_poled  Offline
stranger
P

Justin,

Recently tore my whole boat apart to glue the tramp frame together (too much flex!!) I decided that while the boat is apart and in pieces, I would get all of the cast aluminum parts re-anodized. This operation results in a hard, durable and off the shelf looking part. All of the parts were done for about $50 Canadian.

The parts included the corner castings, the mast step, rudder and tiller castings.

Just an other alternative to painting

Tim

Re: part painting [Re: pitch_poled] #7799
05/02/03 03:09 PM
05/02/03 03:09 PM
Metro Detroit, MI
jmrabs2002 Offline
stranger
jmrabs2002  Offline
stranger

Metro Detroit, MI
Wow! $50 Canadian...that's like $1.37 U.S.! Sorry

Re: part painting [Re: 89umiamiH16] #7800
05/07/03 09:42 AM
05/07/03 09:42 AM
Neb
flounder Offline
enthusiast
flounder  Offline
enthusiast

Neb
You have two options:

1. Epoxy based paint - oil based spray paint will not last even with primer. Epoxy based paint is much harder, sticky and does not need a primer. The gloss black works great.

2. Powder Coat - I have had a lot of smaller items powder coated in the past (rudder castings, x-bars & booms) It is very durable and doesn't cost much to have done.

Re: part painting [Re: flounder] #7801
05/25/03 04:01 PM
05/25/03 04:01 PM
Austin, TX
Aggie97 Offline
Aggie97  Offline

Austin, TX
Powder coating is pretty simple to do.. as long as you get the right stuff. A roomate of mine set up a system in our garage. The starter set of paints and the shooter thing was around $300 I think, and we found an old oven to use for free (you don't want to bake the stuff inside your food oven!).

We both found powedercoating to be absolutely awesome - easy, you don't need skill, and it is tough!

-Brandon N5.5u #424 Austin, TX
Re: part painting [Re: 89umiamiH16] #7802
06/16/03 11:16 AM
06/16/03 11:16 AM
South Florida
89umiamiH16 Offline OP
89umiamiH16  Offline OP

South Florida
thank you all,
lots of helpful information. i think i'll probably go with the lengthy painting process suggested by hydrolude (thx). but i'm also going to look around for places that can annodize them to save time (maybe for the frame)

thanks again

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 511 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022