I wanted to react to you rpost on your snuffer setup but I can't find the original anymore.

From memory you asked us for suggestions.

Well, personally I'm thinking to split the retrieval line in two parts. the part that is handled by the crew which needs to have a good grip and the part that is only in contact with the spi sail. The latter part should be only the bare fibres to avoid extra damage to your spi sail.

Most lines have a core of fibres often weaved and a outer mantel which is tough and has alot of grip. this outer mantel pulls little ruptures in the spi sail. by removing the mantel or fixing two pieces of line to one another you can get a smooth line to run through the patches and slide effortlessly along to sail with damaging it. This is something you can use too.

Your idea of a triangular like mouth for the snuffer seems a good thought I know that the RS400 skiff has a similar mouth with just a smooth steel bar at the side where the spi rubs against and it works remarkablly well.

On the issue of the skunk snuffer. Why exactly can't it be a single line operated snuffer ? I see large similarities with a tramp launched spi and therefor I think that the single line technic should be able to be used there too. I 've drawn it out but it looks like it should work. Maybe I'm missing something ?

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands