08/20/02 02:59 PM
08/20/02 02:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As per my earlier post, I picked up the 80 5.2 and gave $500 for boat & trailer. I need to replace main halyard as it had been replaced with a homemade variety that is questionable. I noticed that http://www.murrays.com seems to have everything that I will ever need.

The previous owner had the cat for 5 years and I don't think he had it out more than a few times. He had attached jib sheets to the tack of the jib. I found ratchet sheet blocks ( with cams) and barber haulers in the trailer box. From the shape of the cordage (bad/dirty/complete with mud dobbers nests), they don't look like they have been used in a VERY long time. All good Harken Hardware. Is this hardware used on this boat? If so, could someone explain to me how the sheet blocks and barber haulers are rigged up? I am unfamiliar with this type of set up and do not even see where they mount. There are outboard Cam cleats on each side (on top) of the forward beam where I would imagine the barber hauler would cleat. There are also a couple of eye straps on each side of the crossbeams. There is one set on each aft side of the forward beam and one set on each forward side of the aft beam. They are in line with each other/parallel to the hull. If anyone has pictures of the correct rigging, I would be forever indebted.

Does any one have tuning info as to the diamond wire/shroud/forestay tension settings? Spreader rake? Mast rake? Any other tuning information that you may have would be very appreciated.

Stepping the mast.... I am sure everyone is tired of this, but a couple of questions......It does have the captive mast. The pin is not there but it is my understanding that it is 1/4". How long should it be, West Marine is in town. With the shroud lines attached, forestay off, mast on the ball and pin in, something to hold the mast off of the tramp as not to get the diamond wires in a bind, will one person be able to step the mast from standing on the tramp? I am 6'1" and 205, so I don't think the weight will be a problem, but leverage?

As I am a confessed cat newbie, I am excited about getting it out on the water and making the transition from the dark side (monohulls).

Terry

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Nacra 5.2 Newby - rigging/tuning questions [Re: ] #9770
08/20/02 03:28 PM
08/20/02 03:28 PM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Welcome TO the Dark side! Of extreme sailing!

I'll try and answer some of your questions.

Any good 3/16in line would be good for the halyard, less stretch is better.

Any good screwdriver will work in the mast base. It comes with a pin that can have a ring on both ends so it son't pop out. I use the pin with on end without the ring, it never pops out.

The harken should be good for a long time, it probably came with it. The barber hauler is pictured in the online manual, and on a thread here, aobut the 4-way jib system.

With the mast positioned as you say, It should be NO prob stepping it.

Good sailing,

Todd Bouton

N6.0na +spin/snuffer

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

'Long Live the Legend of Chris Kyle'
owner manual [Re: ] #9771
08/20/02 08:53 PM
08/20/02 08:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

you can download the owners/setup manual from www.performancecat.com.

Re: Nacra 5.2 Newby - rigging/tuning questions [Re: ] #9772
08/20/02 09:31 PM
08/20/02 09:31 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Terry,

If I get some time tommorrow, I'll take some pictures of the rigging on my 5.2. You should have no problem stepping the mast yourself but you will likely need someone to hold up the back of the mast while you put it on the ball and to hand it to you on the trampoline.

Jake Kohl
Re: Nacra 5.2 Newby - rigging/tuning questions [Re: Jake] #9773
08/20/02 11:25 PM
08/20/02 11:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks guys, I appreciate the extra effort! I printed out the owner/setup manual as shown above but it does not address my particular model. I do not have jib tracks on the hulls as shown.

Jake, I will appreciate your photos! If you can, photo the traveler setup also and any other details that I will need.

Thanks again!

Terry

why doesn't that surprise me [Re: ] #9774
08/21/02 11:56 AM
08/21/02 11:56 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Performance. Geez. I have the soft copy of the old manual which does

cover the 5.2. Give me a couple of days to get it uploaded to where you can

get to it. I think I may email Rick about setting up a database of manuals

on this site. Trying to find manuals is always a pain in the a** and it would

be a real help if a database could be built here that has all the soft copy manuals

scrounged up from users for everyone to get to.

Re: Nacra 5.2 Newby - rigging/tuning questions [Re: ] #9775
08/21/02 08:06 PM
08/21/02 08:06 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Let me know if you have any questions....the barber hauler is not a stock item on pre 84 boats and I've added this one slightly different than the Nacra design.

Jake Kohl
Re: Nacra 5.2 Newby - rigging/tuning questions [Re: Jake] #9776
08/21/02 10:22 PM
08/21/02 10:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Jake, this clears things up.

BTW, I saw the photos of your 5.2 that you are selling and it looks FIRST CLASS. Hard to imagine that it is nearly 20 years old!!

Terry

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 446 guests, and 94 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022