Catsailor.com

Best way to remove bottom paint?

Posted By: Wet1

Best way to remove bottom paint? - 10/16/06 01:07 PM

My neighbor just bought a small boat and wants to remove the bottom paint. The previous owner left it in salt water for a long time and looks like it has about 4 layers of paint on it... some of it is chipping. Anyway, it looks really bad so he wants it removed.

What's the best way to remove it?

I suggested pressure washing off as much as possible and then trying a chem stripper. I'm concerned Zip Strip would eat right through the gel coat as well. I believe they make a chemical bottom paint stripper, but I have never used them.

I assume you shouldn't sand this crap down because of the toxicity, correct?

Soda blasting would probably work well, but he's a DIY kind of guy and I really doubt he'd spend the money to have it done.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
Posted By: Keith

Re: Best way to remove bottom paint? - 10/16/06 01:36 PM

You probably won't get too much of a reply to this here, most of the boats here aren't bottom-painted. I think the best way to remove bottom paint is to pay somebody else to do it.

However - if he's a do it yourselfer, and he has that many layers of paint, I would recommend the paint stripper option. There is a type that you slather on the stripper, then cover with a paper backing. After you let it sit for awhile you peel away the backing and toss the mess.

Bottom paint is nasty stuff - make sure if he sands or power washes it off he has a way to collect the debris, and adequately protects himself.

Funny story - back in the days when we had a keel boat I had the yearly ritual of sanding the old paint and putting on a fresh coat or two. I got in the habit of buying disposable Tyvek painters suits that cover you from head to toe, and also using a respirator when sanding. I usually wore the suits when painting as well. I generally refer to them as "bunny suits", 'cause you only need to add some ears and a tail to become Harvey. One of the last times I did this, I was finished for the day, peeled the suit off and head to the bathroom. In there is a guy completely covered from head to toe in blue bottom paint dust and paint. We talk about how messy bottom work is, and he notes that I barely have a speck of paint on me. I reply that was because I wear bunny suits when I do the work, and then I recommended that he try it. He says "hmm, just go to the Hallmark store and get a bunny costume? Sounds like it oughta work...". I had to work hard to control myself as the mental pictures of this guy in a bunny costume doing bottom work just about made me lose it laughing. I paused for moment considering whether I should agree so I could get to see that, or be nice. In the end I was nice, but whenever I work on the bottom of a boat I think of this...
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Best way to remove bottom paint? - 10/16/06 05:38 PM

Interstrip seems to be working for my buddy who has 4 layers of paint to deal with. He is then going to epoxy the bottom. Apparently a time consuming process initially, but then it last(with TLC) many years. Another friend said his was going strong for the 13th year, only powerwashing it yearly, mind you its all freshwater.
Posted By: sail7seas

Re: Best way to remove bottom paint? - 10/16/06 07:30 PM

D/A sander:
http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showflat...=true#Post34032
Posted By: fin.

Re: Best way to remove bottom paint? - 10/17/06 01:30 PM

Try wet sanding with very coarse wet/dry paper, kinda looks like emery cloth. There are also foam sanding blocks that may work. Use plenty of water to keep the dust down.

Some bottom paints are very soft and will sand easily. If the boat is small enough this may not be the nightmare it appears to be.

If the layers are separating, there is probably an adhesion problem and a paint scraper may take away large chunks.

Give it a try before breaking out the heavy equipment.
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: Best way to remove bottom paint? - 10/21/06 04:51 AM

What's the best way to remove it?

Not like this

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bvining

Re: Best way to remove bottom paint? - 10/21/06 01:17 PM

Call the local marinas and see if they'll rent you a environmentally friendly vacuum powered sander. I know one that offers this as a service to owners who pay for storage, so you'll probably have to go to them, I know of at least one place that offers this, so I'm assuming that more do.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums