Catsailor.com

Australian Taipan Nationals

Posted By: mattaipan

Australian Taipan Nationals - 12/28/06 09:04 PM

Hi All

The Nationals kicked off yesterday (thursday) with an invitation race in the afternoon. Though my results are little scratchy with the sloops (I put a friend on the spot late last night) They I will have better results for all to see in the coming days.

Cat Rigged - 1st Dennis Baker AUS 326 (current national, vic state, and nsw state champion) 2nd Liam Goodall, 3rd George Hooper, 4th Noel Grellet (many times national champ, on AUS 003)

Sloop - All we know is that its Andy Williams boat sailed by someone else (will find out today) 1st.

Regards
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Australian Taipan Nationals - 12/28/06 09:12 PM

matt,

Taipan AUS 003 sailed by Noel Grellet is a timber boat right ?

Wouter
Posted By: pbisesi

Re: Australian Taipan Nationals - 12/28/06 09:30 PM

Are they being held near the Hobie Nationals?
www.hobiecatnationals.com.au
Posted By: Phile

Re: Australian Taipan Nationals - 12/28/06 09:55 PM

The Taipan Nationals are being held at Macrae on Port Phillip Bay south of Melbourne. It is one of the events making up Sail Melbourne. [http://www.sailmelbourne.com.au/events/].

The Hobie Oz Nationals are being held at Adelaide, about 800 km away.
Posted By: mattaipan

Re: Australian Taipan Nationals - 12/28/06 11:59 PM

Hi Wouter

Yes thats right, Noels had that boat for longer than I remember, its minimum weight, and has won at a rough guess 15 titles, from victorian states to australian nationals. Very very smart sailor, he knows that boat inside and out. I paid him a few visits while putting mine together. He like me has hardly sailed for the last few years due to no water in our lakes, but never loses touch.

I have 003 and 004 within an hour of my house, and it used to always be, without fail, 1st and 2nd, in the vic states.

Dennis Baker has a new boat (last year I think) from the new mould, and has been hard for Noel to get around. But again, Dennis is also a very very good sailor, from radio controlled carbon fibre racing yachts, worth $000's(which he sold to but his first taipan, now onto his third) to cats.

Oh and by the way, Noels Taipan looks like a brand new out of the factory boat, despite being 15+years old.

Regards
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums