Catsailor.com

Main sheet

Posted By: TampaN20

Main sheet - 03/03/07 07:26 PM

I am looking to replace my main sheet, what line has been working well for most people, currently it's yale vizzion.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Main sheet - 03/04/07 04:10 AM

New England V-100 is the top shelf line for mainsheet applications as far as I'm concerned.
Posted By: PTP

Re: Main sheet - 03/04/07 04:31 AM

If you don't feel like spending 2$ per foot or more then try trophy braid or new england bzz line. I use the bzz line for my spin sheets. The trophy can be tapered (no, doesn't look as sweet as the dyneema/vectran cores but works fine). I am using trophy now for my mainsheet because although I spend a lot of money on somewhat silly stuff, I can't seem to bring myself to spend that much on lines (generally I look for under 1$ a foot). There was an amazing sale on a certain store recently disounting D2 and V2 down to 70c a foot though, so watch for clearance stuff). IMO The only line that shouldn't be allowed some stretch is the spin halyard and tack line. If someone can point to any serious/real world/non-olympic level advantage of 2$/ft vs .70-.80/ft I would love to hear it.
Posted By: JoeLeonard

Re: Main sheet - 03/04/07 07:01 PM

I'm a recent convert to any of the Composite single braids. For a "near" complete listing you can check Layline at http://www.layline.com/llf/cats/cord_05/Composite_gray.htm
I'm using Salsa for my Spin halyard, Apex for my Spin sheets (my wife/crew loves them...soft on hands, pliable, lightweight and they don't kink easily). Layline does not have listed, but does also sell Robline Racing sheet which is another of this class. I am using that as a mainsheet / traveler line with a piece of dyneema doubled over and spliced in for the rear beam traveler line tie-off. So far...I love it!! Mafiolli staretd this whole lineup with Swiftcord, but they continue to be the most expensive, and I have found all of them to be comparable, so I'd recommend finding whatever (of the single braid composites) is on sale and go for it. (and no...I don't work for Layline...)
Posted By: Jake

Re: Main sheet - 03/05/07 12:07 AM

I'm a big fan of the Robline "ice" for the spin sheet.
Posted By: NCSUtrey

Re: Main sheet - 03/05/07 01:32 AM

V-100 is too stiff for a mainsheet. I think you are referring to Dyneema Racing 2, Jake?
The "ice" is actually called Robline "Racing Sheet."
I like the racing sheet with spectra spliced to it.

Oh yeah, I'm in St. Thomas right now, on the beach, with a H16, a N5.8, and a Nacra 20, along with 6 of my good sailing friends. Man I love college...........
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: Main sheet - 03/05/07 04:14 AM

You brought your computer on the beach to go on the catsailor forums?
Posted By: TampaN20

Re: Main sheet - 03/05/07 05:01 AM

How about samson warpspeed, looks like it tapers easily.
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: Main sheet - 03/05/07 12:40 PM

Warpspeed tapers very well, but the poly cover doesn't take the abuse as well as some of the other products out there.
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Main sheet - 03/05/07 06:07 PM

Dyneema racing 2 is the bomb. Joe, I bought the tapered salsa spin halyard from Krantz and its by far the best halyard Ive used. Dave Ingram put together a nice little line spec sheet, I think I have a link to it at the powergroove site somehwere, or he can chime in, Dave, you out there somewhere?
Mike,
I need some NACRA parts bro....Im calling you today, you around the shop?
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: Main sheet - 03/05/07 07:04 PM

PowerDave,

Give me a shout. I'm around here somewhere.

-Mike
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: Main sheet - 03/05/07 09:09 PM

Mainsheet: Conception spliced with Vectran (for the 10:1 blocks)

Spin Sheet is Apex with a 16 inch tail of Vectran attached to clew of spinnaker.

Spin Halyard is Conception spliced with Vectran.

Downhaul uses the Vectran in the 8:1 blocks then Maffoli Swiftcord for the 2:1 cascaded line that the hands hold. Total purchase 16:1.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums