Catsailor.com

i need help

Posted By: stupidpancakes

i need help - 06/22/07 10:57 PM

i'm 17 and sail a prindle 18. i been sailing it since i was 13. my brother is going away to college so im loosing my usual crew. ive thought about getting a hobie 16 with the thought that it would be easier to sail single handed. am i right in assuming this?

ive found a hobie 16 with trailer at a used car dealer ship. they'll sell it to me for 400 dollars. the boat seames to be in sail able condition. i was wounder if i was getting a good deal and what kind of things i should look at before i buy it. any help would be apreciated
Posted By: johnny872005

Re: i need help - 06/23/07 12:38 AM

First, hobie 16 is not too bad to single hand, but make sure not to flip it, because being 17 you're probally not very heavy, and I couldnt right it solo (at 175 lbs) and probally need a minimum 200 to be able to do it).

$400 is not bad, but what year is it? Are there any soft spots? You can find plenty of old boats with softspots everywhere for that price, but I recommend you try to find one with few soft spots, preferrably none.
Posted By: papayamon2

Re: i need help - 06/23/07 01:01 AM

I agree, the Prindle 18 is a lot to handle alone. Lots of people, on the other hand, sail the Hobie 16 solo. Do a search on "soft spot" on this forum and you'll probably find a wealth of info. Be sure you especially check the hull around the pylons for mushy spots.
Posted By: stupidpancakes

Re: i need help - 06/23/07 02:19 PM

thanks for the information. i know plenty about soft spots because i repaired a humongous spot on the prindle the winter. the year of the boat is 83. when i first looked at the boat i didn't feel any.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums