Catsailor.com

16' AMF Trac Cat???

Posted By: Wallybear

16' AMF Trac Cat??? - 06/23/07 01:52 AM

Hi, I am new to the sport and searching for a used cat. I saw the AMF Trac Cat for sale on CL. What can you tell me about this cat? Is this one not good for beginners. Sorry about the hokey question, I am really coming into this blind.

Thanks for the response

Walter
Posted By: gree2056

Re: 16' AMF Trac Cat??? - 06/23/07 02:11 AM

I know nothing about this cat, I do not think they are a really popular design but it might be a fun boat and could be a really good deal.

Check the sails and make sure they are not worn, that can get expensive quick. Also make sure the hulls are solid. Just in general look and see if that boat looks like it is in good shape.

Maybe someone else can tell you more about that design.
Posted By: stevefisherkeller

Re: 16' AMF Trac Cat??? - 06/23/07 01:45 PM

Trac 16: hulls and rudders are similar to g-cat, I beleive the the main sheet is behind the tiller bar the opposite of most cats. One of the guys up at the Dunedin Causeway used to sail one. He said it was very buoyant and did tend to hobby horse in the chop of the gulf, he thought it would be a good lake boat and family boat. Hope this helps.
Posted By: jollyrodgers

Re: 16' AMF Trac Cat??? - 06/25/07 10:50 PM

the trac16 was designed as a user friendly boat.
they are very hard to pearl dive and fast for a recreational model.
the AMF company was sold and divided up just after the boat came out or the trac 16 would have been much more popular.
Posted By: Berny

Re: 16' AMF Trac Cat??? - 06/25/07 11:30 PM

Check this;

http://www.geocities.com/cctexan99/trac/
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: 16' AMF Trac Cat??? - 06/26/07 02:12 AM

I never knew what this boat was until this thread. I took this picture after a Hobie regatta in Nebraska.

Attached picture 111645-LincolnRegatta012.jpg
Posted By: papayamon2

Re: 16' AMF Trac Cat??? - 06/26/07 02:36 AM

I have the Trac 14 and can't say enough about what a great boat it is. It's easy and quick to set up, and it sails very nicely. If the price is right and the sails and tramp are OK, I'd recommend it.
Posted By: Berny

Re: 16' AMF Trac Cat??? - 06/26/07 06:46 AM

The 14 is based on the Australian Windrush 14 which are still produced and raced here in Oz. Good little boat.

Bern
Posted By: Wallybear

Re: 16' AMF Trac Cat??? - 06/27/07 11:34 PM

Thanks for info guys. I was seriously looking at a Trac 16 but now the owner will not respond to my emails. Maybe he sold it and just has blown me off.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums