Catsailor.com

Rudder systems

Posted By: GoGecko

Rudder systems - 09/09/07 07:05 AM

Hi All
Just seeking opinions on rudder systems.
With the fibre tube system with the ss pins are they supposed to shear off when the ruddErs hit something or just bend.
If they shear off when sailing they obviously cant be replaced quickly.

If anyone is using a rope pull down and up system could you advise how that is set up and do you need shockcord in the line somewhere to relieve the impact shock when you do hit something.

All ideas appreciated.

GoGecko New Zealand
Posted By: Holger

Re: Rudder systems - 09/09/07 07:50 PM

Here you can see another rudder system from my boat.
Part 1:
With the push rod you can raise the rudder to full up position, here it is additionally secured with a black bungee for moving around at land...

Attached picture 117843-P1010015copy.jpg

Re: Rudder systems - 09/09/07 07:54 PM

Part 2:
This is the position when starting at the beach, rudder half down. To lock the rudder down you have to push the rod back and the white curved plastic part at the rod slides over a roller an locks the rudder.

Attached picture 117844-P1010017copy.jpg

Re: Rudder systems - 09/09/07 08:03 PM

Part 3:
Here you can see the locked down position, the curved plastic is slid with the undercut over the roller and locks the system.
For emergency release if you hit something underwater, there is a cut in the white plastic which will give the roller free, and the rudder pops up.
So far i like this rudder system and it works as described without problems.

Holger

Attached picture 117846-P1010013copy.jpg
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Rudder systems - 09/09/07 08:27 PM

With the fibre tube system with the ss pins are they supposed to shear off when the ruddErs hit something or just bend.

Neither, the rod should bent slightly thus unhooking the pins from their securing holes and the whole setup should unlock. Works abolutely perfect on my carbon AHPC stocks/rudders, but I do know that there some imitation about that don't.

The only thing I like less about my AHPC rudder setup is the crossectional profile of the rudders itself. The stocks, tiller connections, locking rods/pins etc are all just as they should be.

Hey Holger, next year a short holliday on the Dutch coast for you ? With boat of course !

Wouter
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Rudder systems - 09/09/07 08:28 PM

Seems like a good mod for the Blade. Is this a setup upu will be selling?

Doug

Re: Rudder systems - 09/10/07 05:43 PM

No I won't sell these rudders, I like them on my Blade.
I found the manufacturer in the web and remembered when the
question came which rudder to chose for my boat. Big advantage
is, that it is a local builder for me, in Hamburg/Germany.
The rudders are used on my F16 and some F18ht.
here is the link:
http://www.shakedesign.de/rudder.htm
Holger
Posted By: GoGecko

Re: Rudder systems - 09/12/07 10:12 AM

Hey all

Many thanks for all the help
Really appreciated

Ron Heydon
GoGecko New Zealand
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums