Catsailor.com

Drill and Fill

Posted By: gree2056

Drill and Fill - 09/19/07 03:38 AM

I am in the process of rigging my 5.2 with a spin and am wanting to drill holes in the bows to attach bridles for the spin pole to.

I can handle the drilling but what should I fill the hole with. I can work fiberglass well but it always is so ugly, I saw some paste stuff that might work, would that be easier?

Anyone have advice?
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Drill and Fill - 09/19/07 04:25 AM

The bridles for the spin pole on my FX attach to where the bridles for the mast attach to the hull.
Posted By: PTP

Re: Drill and Fill - 09/19/07 04:30 AM

west system with structural filler would be my suggestion. You could use some chopped glass as well but I think the structural filler would be fine. But then again, there are smarter than me engineering types around that could give you a little more info.
here is what I would do- drill the hole- not a very big one though. Put a piece of tape over one side. Inject west sytem with maybe a little structural filler into the hole to make sure it is all in contact with the surrounding glass/etc. You could then add more structural filler to the epoxy making it almost a paste and put it in there.

Re: Drill and Fill - 09/19/07 04:31 AM

I know on alot of boats that bridles attach near the bows plus ones at the same point the bridles for the forestay attach.
Posted By: bsquared

Re: Drill and Fill - 09/19/07 01:01 PM

I did this on my H20. Drilled about a 1/2" hole on one side; whipped up some peanut butter-thick West with filler, and filled in the hole and as far around the hole as I could get it. After that dried, then I could drill a 3/16" hole through the middle of the fill, and through both sides of the bow. Ran hi-tech line through, with a washer and a knot on one side. When I wasn't using the chute, could easily pull the line leaving only the small (and waterproof) hole. Sand the big hole side flush and hit it with a touch of white spray paint and you'll never see it.

Attached picture 118850-bowhole.JPG

Re: Drill and Fill - 09/19/07 02:00 PM

So you used West System. I have never worked with it, I assume that West Marine would carry it?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums