Catsailor.com

Sweet 16 Regatta

Posted By: NCSUtrey

Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/04/07 06:32 PM

We are holding a Hobie 16 regatta in Raleigh, NC at Jordan Lake on the first Saturday in November (the 3rd). It will be relatively informal, but will be a lot of fun! Racing will start at Noon at Vista Point on Jordan Lake, and will run until roughly 4:00. We will have hotdogs and hamburgers afterwards. Entry fee: $10/boat. For more info, contact Trey Brown @ (919)-302-0880
ddbrown (at) ncsu (dot) edu

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/04/07 06:35 PM

Shoot me an email if you are planning on coming or would like more info. There are already 5 H16's that have committed.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/04/07 07:18 PM

I'm thinking I might be able to finish up this 16 by then!
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/04/07 07:26 PM

Trey - if it's only 16's, then it could be an HCA event. You can get free regatta insurance (see the HCA-NA.org website for details).

Contact Nora at Hobie Cat (nora(at)hobieco.com), let her know about how many boats will be there & she'll send you a box of swag to hand out.

If you want, I can send you a box of Hotlines, too.

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/04/07 07:48 PM

Matt, we need to talk. Give me a shout when you get a chance.

Jake, you'd better bring your A-game!!
Posted By: Jake

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/04/07 08:42 PM

I would probably bring the guy that owns the boat - and he's not part of the A-team and he would be helming a good bit. We would be about 380lbs and the boat has original sails from 1981 (that have only been lightly used). We would be there for the beer.
Posted By: drbinkle

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/04/07 09:35 PM

Looks like it's going to conflict with CSC's Midlands Regatta. Maybe we should have it there. I'm sure Jake wouldn't mind it being moved closer to him. Who knows we might even get Power Dave if it's there.
Posted By: adjones5

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/04/07 10:10 PM

Happy Sweet 16th Trey!

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/04/07 10:57 PM

Forget Midlands, I don't even think Multihulls were invited last year (and none showed up). This is gonna be a great event. I've already got 8 H16's on the list and more are coming!
Posted By: drbinkle

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/05/07 12:12 AM

Multihulls were invited last year and according to the NOR they're invited again this year.

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/09/07 03:21 AM

Great News:

www.sunjammers.com has stepped up for us and will be sponsoring the regatta! We'll have great prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers as well as some other great stuff.

This won't be your cookie-cutter regatta. There will be LeMans beach starts, pick your crew and boat from a hat, and several other race formats. $10/boat to enter, and that includes dinner! There are already 10 boats signed up. Don't miss out! Email me if you would like more info: ddbrown (at) ncsu (dot) edu
Posted By: gree2056

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/09/07 03:36 AM

Wish I could come out and play!
Posted By: MarkW_F18

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/09/07 03:29 PM

Wow... what started out to be a local fun outing, looks like will be great event. Loyd and I will both be there on our H16s. He hasn't been on his H16 since we went in together on the F18 a few years ago. It'll be fun to take it to him. At least I can scream at him from a different boat.

There is also camping available at Vista Point for anyone coming from out of town. They only have group camping and there were only a few spots left as of last week, so let me know if you are interest and I can send you info to reserve a spot.

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/09/07 04:05 PM

13 boats signed up so far, and several more are on the line...
Posted By: hokie

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/09/07 04:21 PM

Sounds like fun! I might have to head over to that side of the lake just to see all the action. If the water stays down I might even be able to sail over there, unless anyone needs a crew?

Has there ever been a format where say all 16' cats around portsmouth 76-77 race level? In an area like Raleigh this might be a reasonable option in the future if we wanted to get a local sustained catamaran racing series, I've seen a few Nacra and G-Cat and Prindles around the area (could include Isotopes 2-up as well)

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/09/07 04:51 PM

I am keeping this regatta to H16's for this event just to keep the playing field completely level. I've already gotten 13 Hobie 16's signed up, so there are definitely enough in this area to run a fleet (maybe even a series?). I'm sure that I'll try to get an open regatta in at some point next year, but it's just Hobie 16's for the moment.

Hokie, do you know anyone with a 16 that you could borrow/steal?
Posted By: hokie

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/09/07 06:17 PM

I don't know anyone (and the one's I could steal I wouldn't want) but it'll be great to see all the Hobie 16's out on the lake!

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 10/30/07 06:41 PM

Don't forget! The Sweet 16 regatta is being held this Saturday at Jordan Lake (Vista Point) just outside Raleigh, NC. 15 hobie 16's are signed up, and there are several more that may show up. Call or email Trey (me) if you have any questions.
Trey
(919)-302-0880
ddbrown (at) ncsu (dot) edu

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 11/02/07 05:55 AM

15 boats...who wants to be number 16? We've got great prizes for 1st-4th, and a bunch of stuff to give away thanks to www.sunjammers.com and Hobie.
Posted By: WindyHillF20

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 11/05/07 05:49 PM

I just wanted to give Trey a big thanks for setting up and running this regatta. I hadn't been on a 16 in many, many years. Really enjoyed the strong wind warm up. It took me 2 races to get the hang of it, and figure out how to read sails with no tell-tales. Great event, much fun. And thanks also to Brad, my impromptu crew. Once we started working well together we were right in the mix, very cool! In the end Trey provided me with a boat and crew, what more could a sailor ask for? Thanks, Thanks, Thanks
Posted By: abbman

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 11/05/07 10:29 PM

I'll second that comment windyhillf20. Thanks Trey for a great event, and such a casual first regatta for myself. I missed the first race due to trying to get a rudder fitted, thanks again Trey for hooking that up. Yeah, the wind was a little on the light side by the end of the races, steadily dying throughout, but the ride out to the course was great. I wish it would have been a little more sustained. It took me a little while to get the hang of whats going on on the race course, I definately have to work of timing starts and the finish is still a ????? to me. It's sad to say that the more I got the hang of it the worse I seemed to do, but that was my first time sailing around the cans or with more than four boats around me. You can go ahead and sign me up for the 2nd annual "sweet 16". Thanks again for such an awesome regatta. And thanks to Brad and sunjammers for hooking up the prizes and registration goodies.
Posted By: AlanOSauras

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 11/06/07 01:13 PM

Hey guys,

Here are the pics that Jana took from the RC boat. Some good ones in here.
http://picasaweb.google.com/alanosauras/Sweet_16_regatta_07

And here are some from the Hatteras Regatta that I don't think I ever posted and that SOMEBODY has been waiting a looong time to see.
http://picasaweb.google.com/alanosauras/HatterasRegatta

Enjoy

-Alanosauras
www.sailnaway.blogspot.com

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 11/06/07 04:35 PM

It was great to see so many H16s out in the Raleigh area. It was very competitive with the finishs really mixed up and lots of position changes throughout each race. We definitely need to do it again next year.

For those interested in more races in our area, check out the EMSA site soon for next year's schedule. http://www.emsa-sailing.org
It really gives you a great opportunity to meet other sailors and learn more about tuning and tactics.

Thanks Trey. Thanks Alan for the trophys. Thanks race committee for keeping it moving and doing a little babysitting duty for me.

Also Thanks Kirt for crewing at the last minute... I had come out with my youngest daughter, Lauren (it was her 8th birthday), to find the lake white-capping. Thought it best to pick up some extra weight. Lauren raced the first race, but got cold and sat on the committee boat races 2-4. Then raced solo with me in the 5th... We thought we came away with a bullet, leading Garland and the rest of boats around the lake. Unfortunately it wasn't until after the awards that we discovered that Garland and I were both over early at the start. But Lauren still thinks we won the race. It was probably fitting we were DSQ's for that race for switching crews and sailing under weight. Alan.. Lauren is ecstatic to come away with a 2nd place overall trophy and she is taking it to school today for show and tell.

Re: Sweet 16 Regatta - 11/06/07 04:54 PM

Also, Congratulations to Bill Croughwell for 1st Place.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums