Catsailor.com

Old Style pre 83 Nacra 5.2 mast stepping

Posted By: jpmahoney

Old Style pre 83 Nacra 5.2 mast stepping - 10/09/07 12:53 AM

How is it done? If someone holds the mast base on the ball can another person walk the mast up? I will rest the mast on a ten foot step ladder to get it started.

Also should there be a plastic bearing? The ball seems like it would wear quickly if allowed to rotate on the cast aluminium mast base.

I have the new style on order, but thought I would find out how the old way was done and maybe take the boat out for its first ride before the new base arrives. I just got the boat and its a 76.
When the new mast base arrives, do I have to remove the dolphin striker strap six bolts to get it in?
Posted By: gree2056

Re: Old Style pre 83 Nacra 5.2 mast stepping - 10/09/07 12:56 AM

You can lay the boat on it's side and then just attach the shrouds and the forestay and right the boat. It work well enough for me when I am solo.

Also you can do it the way you suggested. It is pretty easy with two people. You should not have to much trouble.

Could you send me a link to where you ordered the new style step from?
Posted By: Andrew

Re: Old Style pre 83 Nacra 5.2 mast stepping - 10/09/07 02:03 AM

I used to tie a piece of line from the mast base to the striker post AND have someone restrain the mast base as I walked the mast up on my 5.O.
I also did the upgrade to new-style, and don't remember having to take out the striker bolts. The threads are a larger diameter on the post than the unthreaded portion, and the lower nut just spins down (and eventually off) the post as the post comes out the top of the beam. Be sure to read your directions about sealing the assembly, and also for prebend of the mainbeam. Have fun, and good luck!
Posted By: hokie

Re: Old Style pre 83 Nacra 5.2 mast stepping - 10/09/07 02:03 AM

I ordered one from murrays about a year ago, very easy to install.

http://murrays.com/archive/27.pdf
Posted By: Andinista

Re: Old Style pre 83 Nacra 5.2 mast stepping - 10/09/07 01:31 PM

I used to tie a piece of line from the mast base to the striker post AND have someone restrain the mast base as I walked the mast up on my 5.O.

My mast is home made, got an extrusion with a different profile, so instead of buying the mast base and adapting it, I just went to a workshop and made one. It´s basically a plate with a solid cilinder with a half-sphere hollow on it, where the ball fits.

I always use a line, as a safety measure. Raising the mast is not a problem, the crew is usually enough help to get the initial angle, otherwise I use the trailer´s mast support (though a couple more degrees would be better..). But when lowering the mast, for some reason it comes out of the mast step easier.
I prefer not having anyobody restraining the mast base, I´d rather protect their lives and let the line do the work.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums